uniqs

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

Weather radio with a quality display

It seems that consumer grade SAME weather radios haven't advanced much in the past few years. They still have crappy displays and poor reception on FM and AM stations.

I'd like to find one with good reception on all bands as well as a decent size display that can easily be read from an angle.

Any suggestions?

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

I picked up one of these some years ago and the model is still manufactured:
»midlandusa.com/weather-r ··· /wr-300/
The menu/setup procedure is not the most intuitive but I just keep the user manual handy for when I need to make any programming changes.
I like it.
J

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer
That's the one I was looking at getting myself, however not too sure how it will do inside a thick concrete building.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Subaru:

That's the one I was looking at getting myself, however not too sure how it will do inside a thick concrete building.

I have one. You can purchase a Sangean external antenna which improves reception significantly.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
It has an external antenna jack (RCA Phone Jack) and I just fabricated a 1/4 wave long wire antenna and it works fine. You'd want to get an external antenna that you can run a coax cable to. Certainly an option.
I think ANY weather radio would suffer from the same signal issues inside a thick concrete building.