TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

Yellowknife...

I know it's kind of a long shot, but does anyone here live or has lived in Yellowknife and had broadband internet service over there?

Looks like Northwestel is the main provider over there, offering cable services.

1) How are the speeds and pings? Are they fairly good or lots of congestion issues?

2) Do they block ports? I need 21, 80, 443 inbound to be open.

3) Supplied modem is it just a modem or one of those stupid all-in-one gateways? If it's a gateway, is it bridgeable? I need to be able to use my own router.

I'm going to phone them up and ask them about 2) and 3) but of course I doubt they'll give an honest answer about 1). Actually I'd be surprised if they can even answer 2) or 3) as this is not the type of question front-line CSRs typically get asked.

Anyways, if anyone has any information, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

50/2 for $110 aand a 150gb cap. I couldn't live with that.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TheMG

Most residential ISP services forbid the use of any servers on their lines ... so since you want 80 and 443 inbound opent that's an HTML server and 21 for an FTP server.

Considering bandwidth to the north is likely limited, I can't see them being in a hurry to allow that. You'd be far better getting a hosting service in Toronto or Vancouver and upload to there. Your users would get far better service too.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

50/2 for $110 aand a 150gb cap. I couldn't live with that.

Lol you should never move to Northern Canada then. Yellowknife is one of the luckier northern communities to have a fibre connection to the rest of Canada. The price you listed there is a bargain in northern standards. In many northern communities you can only get DSL with Satellite backhaul which is slow, extremely unreliable, extremely expensive and with highly restrictive caps. If you can't get DSL than you're stuck with a WISP that also uses a satellite backhaul.

MediaMentor

@theedge.ca
reply to TheMG

Living in Yellowknife.. I can tell you that as bad as they are, Northwestel cable internet is the best there is in town... I see no one has mentioned their charges ($5/GB) when you go over their monthly limit to your package..

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 edit

I've disregarded to ToS regarding servers with all my previous ISPs. Has never been a problem. My server sees so little traffic it's not like they are even going to notice. It's mainly just a small personal website where I post some pictures and a few articles about some of my hobby projects. Other than that, I have a VPN server on port 443 for remote access to my home network. Why port 443? Because that's the only way to ensure accessibility from certain particularly restrictive public hotspots (some hotspots such as in airports block all ports other than 80 and 443).

150GB/month isn't a problem, I rarely break 50GB.

I'm more worried about the stability of the connection, especially during peak hours, as I do occasionally play online games, and I use VoIP instead of a landline or cellphone.

The other requirement is that if they supply a gateway, it MUST be bridgeable. I MUST be able to use my own router, I will not put up with a craptastic all-in-one gateway that probably can't even do proper QoS.

said by MediaMentor :

Living in Yellowknife.. I can tell you that as bad as they are, Northwestel cable internet is the best there is in town...

If you don't mind, could you post some speed tests and ping tests taken between the hours of 5:00PM to 11:00PM? Also please state which package you're paying for.

Thanks.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
reply to TheMG

Might wanna take a look at Iristel's business internet packages. They come with unlimited bandwith and are way cheaper than NWtel: »iristel.ca/business-internet/

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by julienvf:

Might wanna take a look at Iristel's business internet packages. They come with unlimited bandwith and are way cheaper than NWtel: »iristel.ca/business-internet/

Interesting. It does show Yellowknife on their map. Hopefully it's not just commercial areas/zoning that they have serviced. 25/7 unlimited would be very very nice!

But since they don't offer residential internet service, I'm not holding my breath, there's probably a good chance their network does not extend to residential areas.

I'll have to phone them and inquire.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

If you are voluntarily going to live in Yellowknife then you must be getting paid big bux. Why don't you drive up from Edmonton with a big spool of fibre trailing out the back of the pickup and run your own dedicated fibre?

Boris19

join:2006-07-10
K1A2A2
reply to elwoodblues

I live less than 20 miles east of Parliament Hill and I'd kill for that level of service.

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TheMG

I asked my in law who is in Yellowknife and has been there a while. Here's what she had to say:

quote:
I'm just moving back into a house that has internet and we havn't gotten a bill yet. I think its about $100 for 80GB. there are no unlimited plans here in town. Northwestel owns the cables and towers, so they set the rates, but there's this big thing with the CRTC to change that. As far as speed, its the same high speed that it is down south. no problems streaming or anything. its only in the remote communities where they have satellite connections that there are issues with speed.