uniqs

geh
Premium Member
join:2012-04-08
U.S.A.

geh

Premium Member

[Rant] Scammer phone calls

I just got a call from "American Credit Exchange" trying to get me to give them personal information by saying I have something in collections. Smells like scammers bigtime. They won't tell me who the supposed debtor is, unless I give them personal information. Then they said they can't tell me because of HIPAA laws (except those apply to medical records, not credit/collections).

What they don't know is I just closed on my new house, and I've seen a very recent credit report. My credit score is in the mid 700s and I have nothing late, past due or in collections.

They're definitely annoying.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua

Premium Member

Tell them to fuck themselves. What are they going to do about it?

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to geh

Premium Member

to geh
I googled the company and apparently they do have something to do with healthcare.

»www.bbb.org/southern-nev ··· nv-64670

»www.americancreditexchange.com/

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw to geh

to geh
I had one of those "help you with your credit" companies call me once. I went along with what they were saying, answering the questions, lying about having way too much on my credit cards, stringing him along as long as I could.

I had given him a fake name, SS#, etc. He asked for my email and I said I don't give that out. When he asked why, I said, "well all the info I've given you is completely fake. I wanted to string you along for as long as I could, wasting your time to prevent you from being able to find someone to actually scam. If you want to stay on the line ..." CLICK!

He hung up on me. And the best part was that was the last time I got a call from "credit services". I HIGHLY recommend doing this. It's fun.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by Mospaw:

When he asked why, I said, "well all the info I've given you is completely fake. I wanted to string you along for as long as I could, wasting your time to prevent you from being able to find someone to actually scam. If you want to stay on the line ..." CLICK!

You would have wasted even more of his time if you hadn't told him the information was fake! He would have wasted time trying to use the info, only to find out later on that it is not working.

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show
join:2000-01-05
Lynn, MA
·DSL EXTREME

Madness to geh

to geh
I still get those every so often. Usually, it's "Rachael" or "Amy" from "Card Services." Since it's a recording, I always hang up.

And once, I got one from some guy asking for "police-fund" donations. I asked him if the cops were running low on cash for coffee & donuts; he hung up.

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

Trihexagonal5

said by Madness:

And once, I got one from some guy asking for "police-fund" donations. I asked him if the cops were running low on cash for coffee & donuts; he hung up.

That's one of the bigger scams. They always start by saying they represent some state or local LOE, but "don't worry, you aren't in any trouble". Truth is, they aren't cops and are keep a large portion of any money they get.

I've got an answering machine and don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. That's cut down on the number of random calls I get far more than anything else I tried in the past,

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw to TheMG

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

You would have wasted even more of his time if you hadn't told him the information was fake! He would have wasted time trying to use the info, only to find out later on that it is not working.

on the off chance I had provided any info that was legit, like accidentally giving a real SS#, I did not want them going anywhere with it. Plus I got the satisfaction of pissing him off. The goal was to have them not call back and that worked, too.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to geh

to geh
I've had those calls before where they won't tell you who the debtor is without you giving them your full SS number and other details. I always ask them to tell me the last four of the SS they have and the number never matches. Like jjoshua suggests I usually tell them to go fuck themselves.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to geh

Premium Member

to geh
I used to love it back when I lived in apartments and the ones from "XYZ Mortgage Company" would call.

You know how many times I tried my ass off to take out refinance on the buildings I lived in? (Phone number listings a lot times don't list the apartment number with the complex's address) In the end sadly I could never "Take a vacation, make home improvements, etc." as they claimed I could!

John2Jonnie
No Defeat ~ No Surrender
Premium Member
join:2000-08-11
NJ

John2Jonnie to geh

Premium Member

to geh

I haven't gotten annoying phone calls in awhile. Last one I listened to the caller, talked a bit, then in the middle of one of his sentences screamed into the phone "OH MY GOD!!!" and then hung up.

Never got another call.

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron to geh

Premium Member

to geh
said by geh:

What they don't know is I just closed on my new house, and I've seen a very recent credit report. My credit score is in the mid 700s and I have nothing late, past due or in collections.

Perhaps more to the point, no one on their right mind deals with a collection agency over the telephone: that's a Bozo no-no.

In addition to some of the, um, colorful suggestions made so far, you can also tell a collection agency (real or fictional) that you only deal with CAs via US Mail, and that if they wish to communicate with you, they'll need to do it in writing. It's good practice just in case you do end up having to cope with a real CA at some point (it happens).

Of course, these guys are simply on a fishing expedition, so you can pretty much do whatever you want.

geh
Premium Member
join:2012-04-08
U.S.A.

geh to John2Jonnie

Premium Member

to John2Jonnie
said by John2Jonnie:

I haven't gotten annoying phone calls in awhile. Last one I listened to the caller, talked a bit, then in the middle of one of his sentences screamed into the phone "OH MY GOD!!!" and then hung up.

Never got another call.

I wish I lived out in the country, because I would do that, then fire a gun a few times, then scream again "I killed him", then hang up.

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron to John2Jonnie

Premium Member

to John2Jonnie
said by John2Jonnie:

Never got another call.

I'm sure this is old hat, but I still like this one:

»meta.ath0.com/tag/tom-mabe/ (Tom Mabe's "Angel of Death")