spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

veriphone

join:2011-01-29

[Cable] Cable speeds unacceptably slow - Georgetown, ON

Speeds were good shortly after signing up as one of the first better testers in Cogeco territory....but they sure degraded big time lately...bellow are few speed tests I run with different servers. I am paying for 20/2 package.... I used to get 8ms ping and consistently slightly over 20M downloads and over 2.1M upload...as it shows now the download is far from it....so I wander why am I paying for a product I am not receiving?!!?

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
why are you complaining about what you are paying, every company/service will have problems sooner or later, that's why every good company has decent tech support, just get in contact w/tech support and see what they can do, if they cant do anything then cancel

veriphone

1 recommendation

I am complaining about what speed I am getting while paying for 20/2 service....And this is one of the places to complain...don't have the time to wait for hours on hold....here I can also post the test results. I can't do it on the phone.

Still waiting for comments from TSI tech support who should be reading this post.

vincom

Bolton, ON
go to tsi direct for support, no need to phone it in, but I would also call as call volumes fluctuate and u might get lucky

veriphone

Posted in the direct forum....they copy/pasted their usual crap to do self diagnostics etc....did it all....even spoke to a TSI tech on the phone....blah blah...blah...He was shocked to find out that under the diagnostics tab on my Thompson modem the Frequency, power and SNR columns are all ZERO for channels 5,6,7 and 8!!!

In his words "My connection is working with half of its capacity...." and "the problem is out of my house/computer".

None of which was news to me...

Anyhow....waiting 48 hrs for Cogeco to fix it themselves or for TSI to call me with date/time of when Cogeco tech will come to my house to check out and hopefully fix the problem....

Here is copy/paste of my modem diagnostics page:

Status Code: Operational
Software Version: STAC.02.50
Software Model: a81a
Bootloader: 2.3.1

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path:
Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 453.0 MHz -0.3 dBmV 40.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 471.0 MHz 1.7 dBmV 41.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
3 477.0 MHz 2.3 dBmV 41.9 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
4 483.0 MHz 2.9 dBmV 41.9 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
5 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
6 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
7 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
8 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
Return Path:
Channel ID Frequency Power Modulation
1 32.0 MHz 47.3 dBmV 64 QAM
2 28.7 MHz 47.3 dBmV 64 QAM
3 25.3 MHz 47.3 dBmV 64 QAM
4 22.0 MHz 47.3 dBmV 64 QAM
Data Service Details
Provisioned Address: Yes
Provisioned Time: Yes
Provisioned Configuration: Yes
BPI: Disabled

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
said by veriphone:

He was shocked to find out that under the diagnostics tab on my Thompson modem the Frequency, power and SNR columns are all ZERO for channels 5,6,7 and 8!!!

Status Code:  Operational
Software Version:  STAC.02.50
Software Model:  a81a
Bootloader:  2.3.1

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path: 
ChannelFrequencyPowerSNRBERModulation
1453.0 MHz-0.3 dBmV40.8 dB0.000 %256 QAM
2471.0 MHz1.7 dBmV41.8 dB0.000 %256 QAM
3477.0 MHz2.3 dBmV41.9 dB0.000 %256 QAM
4483.0 MHz2.9 dBmV41.9 dB0.000 %256 QAM
50.0 MHz0.0 dBmV0.0 dB0.0 %None
60.0 MHz0.0 dBmV0.0 dB0.0 %None
70.0 MHz0.0 dBmV0.0 dB0.0 %None
80.0 MHz0.0 dBmV0.0 dB0.0 %None
Return Path: 
Channel IDFrequencyPowerModulation
132.0 MHz47.3 dBmV64 QAM
228.7 MHz47.3 dBmV64 QAM
325.3 MHz47.3 dBmV64 QAM
422.0 MHz47.3 dBmV64 QAM

Here's a comparison of my own stats. I'm on 20/2

Modem : DCM476

Status Code:  Operational
Software Version:  STAC.02.50
Software Model:  a81a
Bootloader:  2.3.1

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path: 
ChannelFrequencyPowerSNRBERModulation
1459.0 MHz11.1 dBmV43.7 dB0.000 %256 QAM
2465.0 MHz10.3 dBmV43.0 dB0.000 %256 QAM
3471.0 MHz11.1 dBmV43.1 dB0.000 %256 QAM
40.0 MHz0.0 dBmV0.0 dB0.0 %None
50.0 MHz0.0 dBmV0.0 dB0.0 %None
60.0 MHz0.0 dBmV0.0 dB0.0 %None
70.0 MHz0.0 dBmV0.0 dB0.0 %None
80.0 MHz0.0 dBmV0.0 dB0.0 %None
Return Path: 
Channel IDFrequencyPowerModulation
132.0 MHz42.0 dBmV64 QAM
00.0 MHz0.0 dBmVQPSK
00.0 MHz0.0 dBmVQPSK
00.0 MHz0.0 dBmVQPSK

Notice I have 3 channels down & 1 channel up. I would consider your line stats much better then mine.

Here are my speedtest (10:12 AM)

Keep in mind I did a remote access to my computer to get the results.

Martin

--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

veriphone

Thanks Martin,

I am not an expert in this matter but your techs are telling me it is most likely signal levels issue on my line....

You and I are both on 20/2 but you definitely get 2-3 times faster download speeds ...and the worst speeds I get are in the evening hours.....things kind of miraculously get fixed by themselves after midnight....and I get what I used to get 24 hrs/day for the first month or so...i.e. over 20M download speed...

By the way some of the test results I posted in the direct forum (you can see them there) were as bad as 2M download speed last night...!!!!!

Go figure?!?

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
said by veriphone:

You and I are both on 20/2 but you definitely get 2-3 times faster download speeds ...and the worst speeds I get are in the evening hours.....things kind of miraculously get fixed by themselves after midnight....and I get what I used to get 24 hrs/day for the first month or so...i.e. over 20M download speed...

I'm surprised nobody explained to you that cable internet is a shared connection. During peak hours, there isn't enough bandwidth (in most cases) to give everyone their maximum allowed bandwidth, so everyone gets a somewhat lower speed than their subscribed maximum, depending on the number of users who try to use their connection at once. Sure, when you're the one of the first customers on a new POI, you'll get the bandwidth all to yourself and enjoy full speeds 24 hours a day. You just can't expect this ideal situation to last forever. That's why the package says "UP TO 20mbps" and not "20mbps or more".

veriphone

1 recommendation

Jean,

fair point I was well aware of...I can certainly understand that every once in a while....say once a week....I get couple Megs less download speed because my neighbors happened to download something at the same time...

But EVERY night for 6-7 hrs to have speeds of less than 10Megs and like last two nights as low as 2Megs....sorry but this is UNACCEPTABLE!
My old DSL connetion as slow as it was was never slower than 5Megs....and it sure cost me much less than what I pay now for my cable at 2Megs....

Up to 20M does NOT mean 2M....

I don't agree paying for 20M and getting 10 times less...sorry...something wrong in this picture if you think it is normal...
To hide behind the 'up to verbiage..." is not something I appreciate...if suddenly so many of my neighbors decided to connect to the same pipe maybe the pipe should be widened....or 20M speeds should not be advertised nor sold as it is pure mislead to the customer...it is that simple...no hiding behind the "up to" wording...

BTW I spoke to 3-4 techs from TSI so far....not one of them has tried to excuse this situation with the line be overused....so....lets see their final conclusion....24 more hours wait to hear back from Cogeco/TSI on the official reason. Then I can comment and make my own decisions based on that.

vincom

Bolton, ON
^^ I agree, that why I stated to go through support, if it cant be resolved cancel and try cogeco(can try another indie but u should test w/the carrier first) to see if prob is still there, tsi can only do so much since they don't own the network

JeanInNepean

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
reply to veriphone
said by veriphone:

But EVERY night for 6-7 hrs to have speeds of less than 10Megs and like last two nights as low as 2Megs....sorry but this is UNACCEPTABLE!
My old DSL connetion as slow as it was was never slower than 5Megs....and it sure cost me much less than what I pay now for my cable at 2Megs....

Your original post seems to indicate you're getting about 50% of your bandwidth most evenings (and a later post indicates it drops to 10% on occasion). I do believe this is absolutely normal for cable internet. Cable providers make money by overselling their bandwidth capacity. I'm not sure what is considered "normal" oversubscription ratio by Cogeco, but I would expect the number to be at least 50-100.

veriphone

All I can say is our ideas of what "normal" is are are vastly different!
It'd be the same thing if I go and buy 2L Coke from the super market and instead of 2L when I get home I find out all I got was 200ml even though I have paid for 2L !?!?

Just because of the stupid/tricky marketing tricks/verbiage "up to 20M" is not a good enough reason to charge full price for an inferior product, not delivered in full. No "normal" person will ever buy a service that says "once in a while you'll get 20M, but most other times you'll be getting 2M-7M". As I said it is a really simple concept after all...I guess not for you...

P.S. I am always surprised how so many here from the TSI fan club go to no end to protect/defend TSI, even when TSI themselves are not trying to defend the indefensible!!! Makes me wonder....why...

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to veriphone
1. You do not compare 2 similar items ...

2. It is not only for Tek, it is for all industry

3. Did you finish the troubleshooting with them?

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to veriphone
You guys should stop harassing the OP. Sever cable node congestion is mostly myth these days, most people on these forums know that. So continuing to shove that in his face is rather ignorant. I'm sure if the OP was only seeing a decrease down to 10 consistently he wouldn't be as aggravated. But 2Mbps, heck anything under 5Mbps, is highly unusual, especially when paying for cable 20 package.

The OP wrote a pretty well mannered thread, he's not raging, cursing or flaming TekSavvy, he's asking for help. And it seems TSI tech support is working with him.

Telling him "oh that's normal, suck it up buttercup" isn't helping him.

veriphone

reply to MFido
No, I am still waiting on TSI to report back to me on the outcome of their and Cogeco's investigation. The 48 hrs I was given expires tonight.

I am sure others play this "up to" trick....this is not a reason however to excuse it, nor to defend it! It is wrong as wrong can be....when ISP advertises speeds of 20M, subscribers who sign up for it (and in my case receive it for 1-2 months) don't sign for 2M....they definitely expect to get the 20M or very close to it and for most of the times. Anything else is simply bait and switch tactics and nothing more....

Let's grab as many new customers as we can...get their money for the promised 20M....and what we actually deliver down the road is entirely different matter,... hopefully not all of them will find out and question/get upset about the TEN TIMES slower speeds and will continue paying as nothing has happened.

Are you really a defender and a fan boy of such a strategy for growing a business?

I have never been big fan of this sheepish behavior when businesses bait and switch left right and center, some of the general public can't wait to defend the wrongs by finding all kinds of excuses like "oh it is normal", " but it is up to", or "or but others do it too" etc., etc....

veriphone

reply to TypeS
Thank you TypeS for standing up and expressing your honest opinion, not just defending the Big guys. Yes I would have no problem that once a week or every 2 weeks my down speed decreased by couple Megs...but EVERY night...down to 2-3 Megs...sorry but as I said if I knew that I would have kept my old DSL connection that was always 5Meg and was much cheaper.
Thank you again.

JeanInNepean

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
reply to veriphone
I think I have also been pretty well mannered in my responses. Calling me a fanboy just because you don't like my answer is pretty unfair. Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending TSI or any other cable operator. All I'm saying is that from the looks of it, your node is congested during peak hours. It doesn't look like a signal quality issue and I'm sure you've already made sure it wasn't a problem on your network. I doubt Cogeco would be doing maintenance during peak hours.

Ok, so perhaps "normal" was the wrong word... let's replace that with "common"... Overselling is a very common practice for all telecom businesses (though some businesses oversell more than others).

I'm not suggesting getting 2Mbps all the time is "normal" or excusable. But you shouldn't expect to get 20Mbps 24 hours a day either, even if that's what "you pay for". Neither am I suggesting that you should "suck it up". I too would be pretty annoyed if I only got 10% of the bandwidth I subscribe to on a regular basis. I think you did what you had to do by contacting TSI. It's possible the congestion is on their side of the network and they might be able to fix it.

JeanInNepean

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

You guys should stop harassing the OP. Sever cable node congestion is mostly myth these days, most people on these forums know that. So continuing to shove that in his face is rather ignorant. I'm sure if the OP was only seeing a decrease down to 10 consistently he wouldn't be as aggravated. But 2Mbps, heck anything under 5Mbps, is highly unusual, especially when paying for cable 20 package.

Mostly myth? Really? I would be curious to poll all the users and find out how many are getting full speed 24 hours a day... His first post indicated he was getting 10Mbps in the evening and he seemed surprised. I don't think my response was neither rude nor ignorant. Indeed 2Mbps download is somewhat unusual, though not entirely surprising.

said by TypeS:

The OP wrote a pretty well mannered thread, he's not raging, cursing or flaming TekSavvy, he's asking for help. And it seems TSI tech support is working with him.

Telling him "oh that's normal, suck it up buttercup" isn't helping him.

The OP is obviously expecting >18Mbps connection around the clock (from his reply to my first post), which is not realistic. I don't think any of us who have replied so far have been raging, cursing or flaming anyone either.

veriphone

Here are the latest speed tests results I just did. It is evening hours ...and the nightmare has began again...I can not even get half the speed any more...and as you can see from the last test it is so bad now that the up speed is better than the down speed!!!!??

TSI just told me despite the 48 hrs period expiring they still have no answer from Cogeco about the reason for my problems....

Next step will be to message Marc himself...

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 2265 kbps (283.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2095 kbps (261.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 1848 kbps (231 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2085 kbps (260.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

I guess things are getting from "normal" ....to "SUPER NORMAL"...

When I get my next bill I will pay TSI "up to" the amount they ask for...something like 10% sounds fair based on the 10% speeds they've been selling me.....lets see how they like that!!!

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to JeanInNepean
I for one get my full 28Mbps down 24/7. There have a been a few times where its not and it had to do with TSI POI congestion, not Roger's node. My neighbour and family friend is on Rogers 150Mbps, she never has any slowdowns and we're on the same node.

As I said and you must glossed over, severe node congestion is mostly myth. You might get rare slow downs but you certainly won't see your speed drop down as far as 2Mbps. That is highly unusual and something there is definitely wrong that needs investigating. It is entirely surprising.

I also haven't seen the OP directly claim he expects the full 20Mbps all the time either. Although given how well HFC networks are built now, it's not an unreal expectation. Some of his speedtests show speeds that are just plain unusable for anything meaningful other than light web browsing or e-mails. He is right to be upset about it.

veriphone

Finally got an answer from TSI about Cogeco's investigation of the problem:

They have stated that their continued diagnostics have shown no issue.

"diagnostics continues to show no issues - packetloss, latency fine when tested and all levels passing."

Someone is either an idiot or thinks I am an idiot....unless they check RIGHT NOW in the evening hours sure all might look "passing" during the day....

Just tried to watch a short 5 min news clip on CBC and CTV...gave up after about 45 min of wait with constant interruptions and could not see the end of it....it is so bad....

and I am told..."nothing wrong, smile and enjoy" waooooo......I guess no further comments are necessary!!!

zolotoiy

join:2010-12-16
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to veriphone
veriphone, your return levels are quite high. I guess you've done this already but check all cable interconnects inside the house. Maybe there is some faulty splitter somewhere.

veriphone

zolotoiy,

We've done all that with the TSI tech the other night...he made me run a separate cable and no change whatsoever...I got connected as a better tester only recently about 2 months ago...and the Cogeco tech at the time checked all my in house connectors/splitters/wiring and all was performing within norms.I haven't touched anything since...and keep in mind during the day my connection (using the same wiring/connectors/splitters) performs very well...tests come back around the 20M mark consistently...as soon as 6pm comes though...bammmm.....it drops to between 1.5M and 8M....

JeanInNepean

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

As I said and you must glossed over, severe node congestion is mostly myth.

Got me there. I admit I had missed the severe node congestion.

said by TypeS:

I also haven't seen the OP directly claim he expects the full 20Mbps all the time either.

Here's the quote from the OP I was referring to:
said by veriphone:

I can certainly understand that every once in a while....say once a week....I get couple Megs less download speed because my neighbors happened to download something at the same time..

It's not full speed all the time; only 6 days out of 7, and then 18Mbps once a week...

zolotoiy

Richmond Hill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to veriphone
I wonder if they did their testing during business hours or "bad" hours.
See, high return power on congested line might cause lost Acknowledge packets, so that sender re-transmits payload over and over. Maybe there is some kind of UDP speed test tool to check pure one-way transfer speed.

zolotoiy

Richmond Hill, ON

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to veriphone
said by veriphone:

Here are the latest speed tests results I just did. It is evening hours ...and the nightmare has began again...I can not even get half the speed any more...and as you can see from the last test it is so bad now that the up speed is better than the down speed!!!!??

TSI just told me despite the 48 hrs period expiring they still have no answer from Cogeco about the reason for my problems....

Next step will be to message Marc himself...

[att=1]

[att=2]

[att=3]

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 2265 kbps (283.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2095 kbps (261.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 1848 kbps (231 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2085 kbps (260.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

I guess things are getting from "normal" ....to "SUPER NORMAL"...

When I get my next bill I will pay TSI "up to" the amount they ask for...something like 10% sounds fair based on the 10% speeds they've been selling me.....lets see how they like that!!!

Yeah, that's not normal for a 20 Mbps connection, even during evening congestion. Evening congestion is normal but your situation seems worse than normal.

Of course the true test is real-world usage, and you indicate that you can't play CBC video clips - so that's that. But I do notice the speed test servers you're using are fairly far away, do you have a closer one you can test?

But as I said, your real-world usage is suffering, so no artificial speed test can tell you what you don't already know - something's wrong. Unfortunately everyone seems to be washing their hands of it but it looks like an overloaded local node which they should be seeing...if they actually cared.
--
TekSavvy 28/1 cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as WAP)

veriphone

Fraoch,

I was using two different sites for the speed tests as recommended by TSI...one was »www.speedtest.net/ and there I've used servers near by....Toronto, St. Catherines, Barrie, Oakville, etc...and they also asked me to test using »www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and there I've tested with servers in Chicago, New York and Washington DC been the closest to me...
Either way as you said correctly it is a real problem playing short news video clips from CBC and CTV to the point I disconnected them after trying to watch 5 min clip for close to an hour.

You are also right about the ball being run around...I am now told Cogeco will test again tonight between 6pm and 9pm..hope they do and would like to see what they find out....

veriphone

Just a quick follow up to my own post...just read number of other people having the same slow cable speeds at night. So turns out it was not my internal wiring, nor Cogeco. Also read Marc's announcement on the upgrade today and surprise surprise my download speeds are now back to normal around 20M...It did take a long time to sort it out but I am glad it is finally fixed....very appreciative of TSI's Keith tech support assistance in the last several days. The problem was not with my neighbors after all )))

Hey even managed to watch The National on line tonight with no interruptions....

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Glad to hear your speeds are back up to where they ought to be. Also glad to see your persistence to continue pursuing the cause, as it was not this mythical "node congestion" some shoved in your face and told you accept. You had a right to be frustrated and I applaud the way you wrote your posts, not in rage or with accusing TSI of this and that.

Good to see TSI got on top of it and added some more capacity.