All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lolwatpear
join:2012-07-03
Wesley Chapel, FL

lolwatpear

Want to switch ONT from coax to ethernet (questions)...

I'd like to get my ONT switched to ethernet, but my question is whether or not the STB's continue to work via coax, or do they require a ethernet cable?

Also, as soon as verizon switches me to ethernet, do I simply connect the router to the ONT and will I be good to go, or do I need to configure something?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

This FAQ might be useful. »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

Make the transition one step at a time, verifying success before moving on.

When FSC switches to ethernet, the ONT gets rebooted in the process. If the Actiontec is connected coax and ethernet during that reboot, it should sense the loss of coax WAN, then retry and find the ethernet WAN.

If Actiontec does not reconnect, you'll see internet LED goes orange, and you'll need to manually reboot the router. It should connect properly then.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to lolwatpear

MVM

to lolwatpear
said by lolwatpear:

my question is whether or not the STB's continue to work via coax, or do they require a ethernet cable?

Yes, the STBs will continue to work. It doesn't matter whether your WAN connection is provisioned over coax or cat5.

The STBs use MOCA LAN to get their internet from the Actiontec. The STBs don't support cat5 even though they have an RJ45 jack.