spc
Search similar:

uniqs
miket
join:2012-11-24

3 edits

miket

[Equip] SBG6580 "Access Denied"

Please read this message before asking for help if you are a new member or anon.

Mod edit only to say: See also this closed topic ---> »[Connectivity] Problem connecting using SBG 6580 cable modem Sunny See Profile

Last night I was messing around with the settings on my modem and had to do a hard reset. Before the reset the SNR, db levels were perfect on all of the channels. When it came back online it couldn't connect to the comcast network. The connectivity state says "Access Denied". The modem has acquired 1 downstream and one upstream channel successfully. I get this error a lot on the log:

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

And

DHCP failed - DHCP Request sent, No DHCP REPLY received;

My modem is showing this software version: SBG6580-6.5.0.0-GA-00-226-NOSH. This looks (roughly) like the one before I did the hard reset.

I plugged my old DOCSIS 2.0 modem in, and that thing works perfectly (but it is only a temp. solution, my package is the extreme 105)

I've been on the phone with tech support. They did a bunch of remote reboots. Didn't work. I asked if they re-pushed the most recent firmware, but it was hard to understand the response (the tech had a very heavy accent...but said something like "of course" when I asked again).

They tried to send me to their paid department without telling me (which was frustrating).

Any tech wizards out there who can help?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Re: SBG6580 "Access Denied"

What settings were you "messing" with?
miket

miket

=) I was setting the thing up for bridging mode.

The hard reset removed all of those settings of course. Now I'm just trying to get the thing working at all before I try again.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I would think a reset would get it back to defaults, but it seems like the modem is in a corrupt state.

Since you were trying to get it into "bridged" mode, did you try a router with it after this?
Can you connect via Ethernet?
miket

miket

Yes, I can connect to it and view the management page. All of the local LAN features work. The NAPT settings reverted to factory defaults.

Another Comcast support guy told me that from his end the modem was showing a boot file that doesn't map to any plan they have and the modem was failing to connect to download a new (valid) one. Perhaps because of the invalid boot file. I wish I had a program that could at least flash some factory settings to my modem! (The factory reset button should do this but is not!)

Even though they don't own it, they are sending a guy out for free(took some convincing). So that is cool. They think he may be able to update the config file manually. I'll post what he says if he fixes it (in case anyone else runs into this problem). The not cool part is that it did take many hours of talking to support.

This does make me realize that now that DOCSIS3 modems can't be flashed from the user end and a tech costs $50 min per visit, it may be worth using Comcast equipment. In some sense, the inflated per month charge includes a sort of insurance against this kind of problem. It is kind of crazy that the user doesn't have any control anymore, but I guess it may be better to accept the reality instead of pretending that I have control over my modem. (But definitely renting a modem and not a gateway, so at least I have control over something).
miket

1 recommendation

miket

SOLVED!

This is really important for anyone who has an SBG6580 on Comcast.

The tech that finally came to my house figured out after calling some of his other tech buddies that in the course of switching to ipv6, some older modems stop working until Comcast fixes their settings to ipv4 only. (This is not a setting on the modem, it is something that only Comcast can do)

No one in tech support (on the phone) knows this. You have to know to ask for it. The tech was kind of shocked this worked. Thank you to the tech that took the time to try it (they put him on hold for a long time....I thought it was funny they do this to their own techs)

If anyone has an SBG6580 that just stops working (won't connect to Comcast) give it a try!

dunnoidont
@myvzw.com

dunnoidont

Anon

said by miket:

SOLVED!

The tech that finally came to my house figured out after calling some of his other tech buddies that in the course of switching to ipv6, some older modems stop working until Comcast fixes their settings to ipv4 only. (This is not a setting on the modem, it is something that only Comcast can do)

No one in tech support (on the phone) knows this. You have to know to ask for it. The tech was kind of shocked this worked. Thank you to the tech that took the time to try it (they put him on hold for a long time....I thought it was funny they do this to their own techs)

If anyone has an SBG6580 that just stops working (won't connect to Comcast) give it a try!

Sounds good but that's not what fixed it. There's not an ipv4 or ipv6 switch to hit. There are more factors than someone simply deciding to switch you from 4 to 6. You got told a convenient story. Glad it's fixed but it wasn't because someone hacked the CMTS.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to miket

Premium Member

to miket
said by miket:

SOLVED!

This doesnt sound right, we are not supporting this device with IPv6 at this time. Can you PM me your cable modem (RF\HFC) MAC address so I can take a look.
miket

miket

Thanks! Sent it over
miket

miket to dunnoidont

to dunnoidont
That's interesting. I'd love to know what you think it was. The tech I don't think knew exactly, but he did have someone do something on the Comcast side of things. He said that he had them set the DHCP to only give an IPv4, but who knows what got lost in translation.

I finally gave up on the thing because this process (calling a tech) would have to be repeated everytime I did a reset.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by miket:

That's interesting. I'd love to know what you think it was. The tech I don't think knew exactly, but he did have someone do something on the Comcast side of things. He said that he had them set the DHCP to only give an IPv4, but who knows what got lost in translation.

I finally gave up on the thing because this process (calling a tech) would have to be repeated everytime I did a reset.

With the device offline, not much I can do.. If you put it back online ping me..
NetDog

NetDog to miket

Premium Member

to miket
Bottom line this device should not be in IPv6 on the CMM side (Cable Modem Management). Is this a new device? first time online?
miket

miket

I was using the device for months at 105mbps with almost zero problems, which is why it was surprising.

Thank you so much for offering to take a look! But I'm resigned to just using the comcast modem (I like that my home network now all have v6 ip's)

You're a good man, thanks!

(I would be happy to plug it in though if you really want to get to the bottom of it)

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to miket

Premium Member

to miket
I will talk to the team that supports the modems in the field will see what they say..
miket

miket

Thanks again!
ca53395
join:2013-06-20
Chicago, IL

ca53395 to NetDog

to NetDog
I believe I may have a similar issue to this...I previously used the SBG6580 when I lived in NC and had Time Warner with no problems. However, I now live in Chicago and have Comcast and cannot get the modem to work. They had a tech come out but he was unable to resolve the issue. I am also getting the access denied message. The modem shows itself as being connected to the internet (globe on front solid green) but when I am connected to the network I get no internet access. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
lancguy
join:2012-03-25
Lancaster, PA

1 recommendation

lancguy to miket

to miket
We do infact have the ability to flip an IPv6 address to an IPv4 address for a mac address. In some cases, we had to flip an addresss back to IPv4 so that it can download the new firmware that enables IPv6. However, this device should never have gotten an IPv6 address in the first place. So I doubt that it was necessary to "flip" it.
mahem
join:2013-07-23
Aptos, CA

mahem to NetDog

to NetDog
Hi,
Just got off the phone with Comcast technical support after about 3 hours of troubleshooting. Same issue as posted above... I had set up service 2 weeks ago and things were working. I just reset the modem to clear firewall settings but it killed my internet....with T3 time-out and Dhcp failed messages. Very frustrating experience on the phone, after talking with 6+ techs and answering the same questions and being escalated to "paid" support I now have a technician is coming out in 5(!) days to address the problem. If anyone has ideas on getting this fixed quickly, please let me know.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by mahem:

If anyone has ideas on getting this fixed quickly, please let me know.

I IM'd you i would like to take a look at your modem really quick and see if I can do anything..
coolarian
join:2013-08-01
Moorestown, NJ

coolarian

I am in the same boat as well, wasted 6+ hrs with the Comcast reps to no use, tolerated visit from technician to no use and now stuck with Motorola warranty services. They said that someone will be calling to make settings work again. Any help to resolve this issue is highly appreciated!
coolarian

coolarian to miket

to miket

said by miket:

Last night I was messing around with the settings on my modem and had to do a hard reset. Before the reset the SNR, db levels were perfect on all of the channels. When it came back online it couldn't connect to the comcast network. The connectivity state says "Access Denied". The modem has acquired 1 downstream and one upstream channel successfully. I get this error a lot on the log:

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
And
DHCP failed - DHCP Request sent, No DHCP REPLY received;

My modem is showing this software version: SBG6580-6.5.0.0-GA-00-226-NOSH. This looks (roughly) like the one before I did the hard reset.

Same issue with me. Same firmware# and same errors

coolarian
@50.153.112.x

coolarian to NetDog

Anon

to NetDog

Netdog - I am also in the same boat, reset the modem to factory settings and lost internet connectivity. Spent 6+ hours with comcast Reps and technician visited my place as well, but to no use. Still not able to get it back online

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

Send me your cable modem MAC address via PM, I will take a quick look at it..
coolarian
Moorestown, NJ

2 recommendations

coolarian

said by NetDog:

Send me your cable modem MAC address via PM, I will take a quick look at it..

IM sent - let me know what else you need
DJ Steadman
join:2013-08-02
Callahan, FL

DJ Steadman to NetDog

to NetDog
Same here NetDog, can you help?

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to coolarian

Premium Member

to coolarian
said by coolarian:

IM sent - let me know what else you need

Check your ATDMA power, DJ Steadman's has his return power too high. Bonded modems need max transmit of 49 on each US, his was 56.2

that would explain why D 2.0 modem is ok but the D3.0 modem wont come back..

I had help with this one ...
DJ Steadman
join:2013-08-02
Callahan, FL

DJ Steadman

Is that Comcast adjustable only? Not end user?

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by DJ Steadman:

Try connecting your cable modem to the line coming into your house, before any splitters..
NetDog

NetDog

Premium Member

said by NetDog:

said by DJ Steadman:

Try connecting your cable modem to the line coming into your house, before any splitters..

On the side of my house I have a box, it has a 4 way splitter. hook your modem to in the inbound line and see if you get sync.
coolarian
Moorestown, NJ

coolarian to NetDog

to NetDog
Well here is ATDMA power

1 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 36200000 Hz 42.5 dBmV

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Correctables Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 2 657000000 Hz -5.3 dBmV 38.3 dB 2 0