Search similar:

uniqs

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to brookehowell

to brookehowell

Re: [Equip] SBG6580 "Access Denied"

brookehowell and I just talked via IM and agreed it is time to start a new topic. This gargantuan thread needs to stay focused on the "access denied" issue.

Thanks to all for your cooperation.
Sunny

Sunny to mikegallop

to mikegallop
Mike, netcool tried to find you via your cable modem MAC address before. Your modem had not been ranging on the network for at least 8 hours at that time. There is really nothing the network guys can do when they can't see the device.

It sounds to me like you need a truck roll. You could try calling that Arris (for Motorola 6xxx series devices) I posted above to see if they can sort it out with you, maybe even replace it if you are still in the warranty period.

You can start a new topic for advice from members here, but I need to keep this topic limited to its purpose, to get the "access denied" issue fixed and help people get the new firmware.
mikegallop
join:2013-09-07

mikegallop

said by Sunny:

Mike, netcool tried to find you via your cable modem MAC address before. Your modem had not been ranging on the network for at least 8 hours at that time. There is really nothing the network guys can do when they can't see the device.

It sounds to me like you need a truck roll. You could try calling that Arris (for Motorola 6xxx series devices) I posted above to see if they can sort it out with you, maybe even replace it if you are still in the warranty period.

You can start a new topic for advice from members here, but I need to keep this topic limited to its purpose, to get the "access denied" issue fixed and help people get the new firmware.

Happy to. I've been IM'iing with them - they're incredibly helpful.

I have exactly the symptoms of Access denied, i.e. flashing globe and no connectivity. With the added bonus of it blackholing on the LAN side. Which suggests a bad firmware state, as that cat6 line is proven working on the LAN side. It might be totally co-incidental to this update, or there's a bug somewhere....
igupta
join:2013-09-17
Indianapolis, IN

igupta to Sunny

to Sunny
Thanks a lot. I am back online. Have a great weekend.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

Great, igupta! And I just heard, so is brookehowell!
Sunny

Sunny to mikegallop

to mikegallop
Thanks for the update, Mike.

So many possible reasons for that, but I know a firmware upgrade can go south if there are interruptions to the connection while the upgrade is happening, such as power issues. A really good UPS can help avoid that kind of issue.

You are in good hands with NetDog.
Sunny

Sunny to miket

to miket
Reminder to all:

As a moderator here, the only reason I am getting involved at all is that new members cannot initiate IMs for at least eight hours after joining. I have been trying, when I can, to help them get past that by allowing them a chance to reply to an IM from me.

Once a new member gets past that initial 8 hours or so, they can initiate IMs. You don't need my intervention at that point. You can send your MAC directly to either netcool See Profile or NetDog See Profile.
brookehowell
join:2014-03-13

1 recommendation

brookehowell to Sunny

to Sunny
Confirmed, I am online! Special thanks to netcool and sortofageek. Amazingly gracious and responsive community you have here.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

So glad you are up and running and I so wish Comcast phone support would follow the stellar example of the two network engineers, netcool See Profile and NetDog See Profile, who have been supporting Comcast customers via this site for years. We so appreciate them.

Daraqw
@mycingular.net

Daraqw

Anon

I have spent two-plus days in Comcast Support hell (scripted exercises in powering down/up and factory resets) DESPITE knowing about this problem and being able to articulate it!

Status shows my SBG6580 is still running 6.5.0.0-GA-00-226-NOSH.

Not a member--just found this place--I would gladly (reply) IM you my mAC ID for a chance at a fix.... Without phone (VOIP-go figure) and tethering to my cell to get here.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

You do have the old firmware. Apparently a (set to defaults) reset has encountered the "Access Denied" issue. There is new firmware available, but you can't get that until you get the temporary fix for the "Access Denied" issue. If you do that via this site, you need to IM your cable modem HFC MAC to a network engineer. Please don't post it in the public forum.

To get your MAC to them privately, you need to be a member of the site. Next, you can't initiate an IM until about eight hours have passed. At that point you can IM your cable modem HFC MAC to one of these awesome Comcast network engineers, either netcool See Profile or NetDog See Profile.

OR, the alternative is to reach the same teams who are supporting via this site:

This worked for another customer with the same problem.

I called the Arris support number regarding this issue and they knew all about it instantly; just tell them a blinking green globe after Reset.

Here is their number: 1-877-466-8646. It took me about 12 hours for a fix, they called Comcast and configured the fix with them directly. They will need you Name, Address, HFC MAC Address, Serial, Model Number SBG6580, and Phone Number.

Daraqw
join:2014-03-14
Milton, DE

Daraqw to Sunny

to Sunny
New member--desperately hoping for a way out of SBG6580 access denied hell --see post below. Would gladly reply to IM to provide MAC ID.
Daraqw

Daraqw to Sunny

to Sunny
Thanks--I did try Arris. The (mostly unhelpful) tech ran me through the same "power down/up" script before taking my information to "escalate" my "request" to Comcast. Ah, well.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

I sent you an IM after your first post. There is info in this topic about how to reply to it. Please find it. I just don't have time right now to keep repeating.

I'm really sorry about that.

Hint: You have to click on my name, not the blinking envelope. You can mark my IM unread and the notification will reappear. You can keep trying until you get it right.
Sunny

Sunny to Daraqw

to Daraqw
You have a second IM now.
Daraqw
Milton, DE

1 recommendation

Daraqw

Thanks for your persistence! I know it has to be frustrating on your end, too. I did read before posting...
Sitting here watching the blinking lights. Will resume that as soon as i pick up the kid from aftercare.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

You have another IM and your MAC has gone to network god heaven.
Sunny

Sunny to fred1976

to fred1976
said by fred1976:

Hi sortofageek,

I tried to reply but it says I have to wait 8hrs.

Your info has been sent. See a new IM from me.
Daraqw
Milton, DE

Daraqw to Sunny

to Sunny
Hallelujah! I see new stuff!

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

See why we call him netcool?
fred1976
Premium Member

1 recommendation

fred1976 to Sunny

Premium Member

to Sunny
Thanks so much its working now .
Daraqw
Milton, DE

1 recommendation

Daraqw to Sunny

to Sunny
May the kudos rain down upon you all!

tabbott148
Palmyra, VA

tabbott148 to Sunny

to Sunny
I am experiencing the same issue. Please help!

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

IM sent. Click on my name up top next to the blinking envelope.
Sunny

Sunny to tabbott148

to tabbott148
Your cable modem HFC MAC has been forwarded.
themumm

1 edit

themumm to miket

to miket
hoping you can save my bacon; after many calls, googlings, and other silliness, I found this thread (which appears to be wonka's golden ticket!). Bummed that this log entry was the last one I googled; can you push the firmware to my device?

EDIT:
just discovered a waiting time on PMs. I has a sad.
themumm

themumm to Sunny

to Sunny
I'm forced to use my phone and I realized I hit the wrong reply button; Just got a new apartment and the modem; and have been stuck in digital purgatory since. unfortunately, I am unable to PM you at this timeas I've just now registered for the account. Hoping you can help me out this evening so that I might be able to activate the damned thing tonight!

tabbott148
Palmyra, VA

1 recommendation

tabbott148 to Sunny

to Sunny
I can't thank sortofageek and netcool enough! You guys are awesome!
c1y1g1n1u1s
USA

1 edit

c1y1g1n1u1s to miket

to miket
Hello, I have the SBG6580 did the reset thing and now it just blinks at me.
I retail purchased modem for upgrade on Comcast and in the process had to do a reset .
That's when the problem began. Can you please help. Thank You

I see now I have to wait 8 hours to do instant messages I will be back later. Thank You
themumm

themumm to Sunny

to Sunny
Ok, the arris firmware is installed, and the comcast lady was able to send the activation signal. Do I need to shutdown the modem and fire it back up, or just my computer?