Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

benali722

join:2007-07-14
Nashville, TN

Basic questions about CLEAR

I'm thinking about getting CLEAR to replace my AT&T DSL, which has never worked well. I'm in the Chicago area and would probably get the BASIC package with the Clear Hub Express device.

A few questions.

Is email included? Does this include ability to have a bunch of email addresses? (They don't make this clear on their website)

Are data rates sustained across large downloads? (The reason AT&T DSL doesn't work for me is that its speed is great for a couple hundred Kilobytes, then it regresses to about 5 KiB/s.) I need constant speeds, even if they're not superfast.

Does the Clear Hub Express device have ports for physical connections on it?

Thank you for helping this potential newbie.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

1 edit
Email is not included.
Speeds can vary depending on time of day/day of week/tower loading etc. But generally the speed is consistent independent of download size but not consistent hour to hour day to day. If your download starts at xx Mbs it will generally stay at xx Mbs for the entire download. I assume we are not talking gigabyte downloads where network management might kick in.
The Hub express and Modem w/Wifi both have ethernet ports for physically attaching a device.
Remember Clear offers a 15 day trial. If it doesn't meet your expectations you can bail the first two weeks.
J

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
kudos:1
reply to benali722
Clear gives me 2 email accounts with my plan.
If you need a bunch of accounts that will stay with you even if you change to a different ISP you need to pay for hosted email services.
I like the free email services from Microsoft, Google and yahoo.

As for the type of service you will receive, hard to say. Some people get very poor results with Clear, because of low signal or tower loading. I have had good luck with Clear, 99.9% of the time. In two years I have lost service two times, my tower was knocked off line because of lightning.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
I've been with Clear a little over a year and the plans offered when I signed up and current plans in my area do not include email.

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
kudos:1
Clear must have dumped email accounts about the same time they dropped the 2 year contract.

I stopped using ISP email accounts back in the late 90s. I was always changing ISP accounts and got tired having to change my email address each time.

jeans946211

@comcast.net
reply to benali722
I also have email with Clear in the Bay Area. I get great speeds also. I am on a three year contract with Clear which will be up in August. I am hoping since they don't contracts anymore will I be able to keep it.

benali722

join:2007-07-14
Nashville, TN

Thank you

Thank you everyone, for your replies and the info. I'll probably try CLEAR and see how it goes... my AT&T is not usable for anything beyond surfing (doesn't work for downloads or Youtube) and I'm about fed up with trying to get it fixed.

Thanks again.