how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aknisley

join:2004-07-14
Keokuk, IA

[Bus. Ops] WISP for sale

I have a WISP business for sale. Contact me if interested.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
You the one on the city water tower?

aknisley

Keokuk, IA
No not in Keokuk, IA

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
It would probably help if you specified the state, number of subs, and asking price.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to aknisley
said by aknisley:

No not in Keokuk, IA

Ah, ok. I was curious because my employer has equipment on a water tower in Keokuk, and I recall there was a WISP there at one time.

aknisley

Keokuk, IA
Well yes there was. Sometime long after they went belly up, I started another WISP and was not allowed to use any City water towers. I have my own tower and a pivot WT by the Airport.

aknisley

Keokuk, IA
reply to wirelessdog
Subs: down to just 20
Asking price: 40K or make offer

Went out of business in March. My fiber supplier took over customer billing but they will only be doing this for 3 more months. I would like fore someone to keep my old customers up and running.

thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16
2 grand a sub....

how much are they paying monthly? over 100 each I hope

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
and that for a failed wisp thats out of business? Good luck

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by wirelessdog:

and that for a failed wisp thats out of business? Good luck

Exactly. That would be like paying way too much for a boat that was already sinking and may not be able to be saved. I started a brand new (successful) WISP for only about $15k. Obviously it took time for it to become profitable, and is a heck of a lot more work than skipping the first few steps. Having an existing customer base (even if it is small) can sure help jump start the process.

If the WISP were healthy, good tower agreements, and all 20 customers were loyal and very likely to stay with the company with a new owner, I'd say it might be worth $10 to $15k to someone who is looking to start a NEW WISP assuming they are paying an average of at least $50/mo. But if the WISP's reputation is already damaged and customers are cancelling, it will be very hard to get it growing again. And almost any existing WISP can advertise to (and install) at least 20 new customers for a small fraction of $40k and these new customers could be under contract without any bad taste already in their mouth.

As much as I hate to burst your bubble, I don't think you'll have much luck with your asking price.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to aknisley
How did you come up with $40k?

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to wirelessdog
I think it's the 'or make an offer' part to focus on. He's not saying that he won't take 5k or 10K. Probably has ~40K into it and want's the back ?

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO

1 recommendation

We just paid 1.3* annual revenue for a wisp. The equipment wasn't even a factor (Ubiquiti wisp).

So, 20 customers * lets say $60/mo = $1200/mo
1200 * 12 = 14400
14400 * 1.3 = $18,720

For a failing Wisp you'll be lucky to get $10k - unless you have some hard assets that go along with the sale ie you are selling the towers & property along with the customers.

On a side note, I'm glad to hear that you have some concern for your former customers. Bad news is they are likely SOL unless you just give it away.
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to aknisley
Yeah sadly that's not gonna go far...

I wouldn't pay 5K$ for that.

In the end I'd rather come up with the 10-20K, build it from scratch the way I want and know that it will be reliable, and grab the 20 subs myself.

There's no point in even bothering to sell what you have.
You want to make anything back from it? Rip down all the radios and get them on Ebay FAST.

Buying a network with 100 subs makes sense, even if you have to rip out equipment. But 20 subs, probably strung together on linksys routers and a DSL line... Yeah NO.

aknisley

Keokuk, IA
reply to jcremin
If anyone is really interested, PM me. My customers were with me for two years. Even in town, Internet providers are limited. This was a one man operation. With the right organization, sales, tech etc could be very profitable.

voxframe

reply to aknisley
Oh it could be for sure...

But it could also be done from scratch for much less than what you're asking, with (most likely) better equipment.

Answer me this.
Why should I/we/anyone buy the network, when anyone starting in the business could pretty much set up shop in a month with the same footprint, for less than what you're asking?

1) Your price is ludicrous.

2) You haven't given any info as to what this network has. Nothing here looks enticing to anyone right now as it stands, so give people a reason to make an offer. What equipment for radios, what equipment for networking, what tower assets/contracts are in place, what is in place for internet feed, etc. These are all things you need to put on the table. So far you've said "Here's my hunk of junk, and it's really expensive, buy it!"

aknisley

Keokuk, IA
OK sorry I posted anything.
I would give it away. Don't want to see my customers get dropped.

Not going to answer any other questions online.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Rhaas
said by Rhaas:

We just paid 1.3* annual revenue for a wisp. The equipment wasn't even a factor (Ubiquiti wisp).

Considering the underlying costs of providing service and the economy, a factor of 1.3 seems rather generous, might I ask how many months before you break even and do you have a holdback on part of the payment to charge back against accounts lost before then?

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to aknisley
Good luck getting 40k for 20 subs that's near the price for a small cable system with hundreds of subs!

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO

1 recommendation

reply to 54067323
Just staying stagnant making 0 changes ROI is 1.8 years.
With our calculated upgrades ($50k), adding an additional employee ($40k/yr), adding additional bandwidth ($15k/yr), etc it is out at 2.5 years assuming 0 change in customers.

No holdback, it was something we discussed but didn't pursue.
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

voxframe

reply to aknisley
said by aknisley:

I would give it away. Don't want to see my customers get dropped.

Now you want to give it away? First you were asking for 40K and now you mention giving it away? You're joking right?

Wow you are the worst salesman/businessman I've ever seen.

You're kidding right??? This has gotta be a joke.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
And you did see that he said "*or* make an offer" didnt you? The fact he said that means the price is open for negotiation which will bring it down to something more realistic.

We get your point that its far fetched. Ease up before you become the joke.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Rhaas
said by Rhaas:

Just staying stagnant making 0 changes ROI is 1.8 years.

To me that seems on target.

With our calculated upgrades ($50k), adding an additional employee ($40k/yr), adding additional bandwidth ($15k/yr), etc it is out at 2.5 years assuming 0 change in customers.

Maybe, maybe not, but since you are looking forward and backing it you may still be able to push that ROI back to 1.8 with up-sells.

No holdback, it was something we discussed but didn't pursue.

That happens.