how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wartrace

join:2009-03-07
Wartrace, TN

First day on Sprint 4g LTE in "fair area"

Just received my u770 triband modem today. I am in the Sprint 4G "fair" area. I am seeing speeds of 5mbps down and 1.5mbps up at the moment. I am getting between 2 and three bars here at this location.

My Yagi isn't helping so I put up an old car rooftop model I had and it seems to work OK. I am going to but a new omni directional antenna that mounts on the eve and be done with it. If all I can get speed wise is 4 to 5 mbps I am a happy camper. (I was on Verison 3G and "good" for me was 500kbps)

dmc271

join:2008-09-02
Stillwater, OK

Re: First day on Sprint 4g LTE in "fair area"

Thanks for reporting. And, congrats on getting the connection!

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1
reply to Wartrace

Yagi has to be aimed directly at Sprint tower . Yagi's are very directional . . The mag mount that came with your Cyfre amplifier kit is one of the best omni 's out there . That is what wirelessnwifi sells .

Wartrace

Wartrace, TN

I'm looking for another omni that doesn't have to be grounded on metal (pole mounted would be best). From what I understand the magnetic mounted units need to be grounded.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

Ground plane is nothing , ( does not need to be grounded ) 8 x 8 piece of ferrous metal . You know what works great - Used circular saw blade . Every guy has one of those kicking around .

Wartrace

Wartrace, TN

What about grounding it for lightning strikes? I am paranoid about lightning. I have it going to my cyfre amp and would hate to have to replace that. I am not too good with electronics
If I could get by with using my current omni it would be great BUT I need to get an extension cord for it since it is so short.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

I really would not sweating putting a lightning protector in for a 13 inch antenna , If you get a bad lightning storm just unscrew the antenna from the amplifier . If you put that antenna by a window on the same side of the house as the Sprint tower . You really do not even have to mount it outside .

Wartrace

Wartrace, TN

Tried it and my speed dropped off to under 2mbps. I think it needs to be up higher in my location due to the terrain.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to Wartrace

This tower is 4G LTE, but obviously 3G has a VERY LOW priority.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

Hey Wartrace, what kinda latency are you seeing on lte with sprint?

Wartrace

Wartrace, TN

I am seeing in the 70 to 50ms range.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
reply to Wartrace

Shelbyville, Lewisburg, and Columbia are all showing Sprint 4GLTE.
Are you in the "middle" of the purple LTE area of sort of on he
"edge".?

Wartrace

Wartrace, TN

I'm on the edge but I am holding two to three bars. My towers are near Shelbyville.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Yeah, did manage to locate one SPRINT tower on the edge of Shelbyville.

said by Wartrace:

I'm on the edge but I am holding two to three bars. My towers are near Shelbyville.

UnknownFact
Premium
join:2004-02-08
reply to Wartrace

Hey I just received my Tri-fi yesterday and thought I would post my results being in a "fair" area as well. Currently I get 1 bar and the signal ranges from 103-115 dBm.

Wartrace

Wartrace, TN
reply to Wartrace

I'm having disconnect issues. I am seeing a -102db signal but I keep getting disconnected. I am going to try a new antenna placed higher up to see if it helps. I currently have my magnetic omni set up on the old sat dish but it is at a bad angle...... I need to get a vertical position for the antenna to work right.

w5nl

join:2011-11-13
Reviews:
·Millenicom

2 edits
reply to Wartrace

I'm on Millenicom. Was a trucker until a recent mri put a halt to all that. Bought the Sierra 803s while still out on the road. My tower is 3 miles from me and the 803s is in a tower facing window. 80% signal. This is a VERY rural area and this tower went 4G(LTE) 2 months ago. When it first lit up i was seeing ~25mbps down and ~10 up. Now........

w5nl

join:2011-11-13

Also. Which friggin external antenna do I get for this 803s and what's with the 2 antenna ports???? Internet not too clear on the dual ports. Neither is the manual.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

use the port to the left of the power input, any 1900 MHz antenna will work ... including dual-band magnetic
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Wartrace

Wartrace, TN
reply to w5nl

I would love to see 12mb/s ! Personally having been on Verizon 3g for the past three years I am THRILLED to see 5mb/s and if thats all I can get I am happy. Things seem to stream ok at that speed. I am about 7 miles from my nearest tower. I just have to reslove the frequent disconnects though....

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

Just curious . Do you have any microwave towers in your area ? They can cause the disconnects you are describing . Solution then is to go with directional antenna . Aim at a tower that does not cross microwave tower path . Just thinking outside the box , Hope you get all issues resolved.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to Wartrace

off topic for mobile broadband, but pertinent for Sprint 4G LTE speeds.
Tried a Victory 4G LTE android phone from Sprint.....
26+mbps within a mile of the tower. Dropped to no bars about 6-7 miles out. Is LTE coverage this limited?

26-35mbps for LTE is wicked fast!!

But of no use on a phone is you have no bars 7 miles out.
Took it back to Radio Shack today.

Test Date: May 18, 2013 6:52:38 pm
Connection Type: Lte
Server: Winchester, VA
Download: 35184 kbps
Upload: 13634 kbps
Ping: 58 ms

External IP: 66.87.153.221

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

»www.speedtest.net/android/457628889.png
----------------------------------------------------------

Test Date: May 18, 2013 6:52:49 pm