Search similar:

uniqs
fxscreamer
join:2013-05-11
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

fxscreamer

A/C wars with roommate

I just need some perspective and advice on this, because I'm losing my mind. My roommate and I get along for the most part other than coming to the A/C. I'm living in a railroad housing type apartment in NYC, and our apartment can hold heat pretty well. My roommate seems to have a very high tolerance level to heat, and insists on windows and fans ALL the time. We have a central A/C system in our apartment, which was a feature when we leased it.

I will say that I PREFER windows and fans if conditions permit. I have been perfectly fine with windows and fans on a 72F day with 30% humidity. Each window on each end of the apartment is open, giving great airflow. However, a 65F day with 80% humidity is much worse. The apartment feels muggy, and the temperature in the apt will easily spike to 78F+. May I also add I have a studio computer workstation that I run that can heat up the room an extra 2-3 degrees (my roommate has an audio rig as well).

I generally compromise running the A/C at 76-78F on any given day if needed, but even then he gives me crap when I insist turning it on. Also, know that I live on the sunrise side of the house, so my room bakes in the morning. If I keep my window open with a fan, my head is beamed with sunlight at 7AM, so that's a drawback. ALSO, in order for windows and fans to be effective, BOTH of our doors need to be cracked open for airflow. I will see him shutting his room, making me ask him to open it up. I've also caught him shutting MY door in the morning while I was sleeping, causing my room to heat up more, on top of him TURNING ALL THE FANS OFF. I try playing by his rules, and he's STILL screwing me.

Just the other day I was working from home, ran the A/C for 2 hours, and was 76F and crispy in the apartment for the next 5 hours (A/C was off). My roommate came home and said "jeez, let's open those windows and get some fresh air" as I promptly replied "90% humidity is NOT fresh air." Within 15-20 minutes the apartment went to 78F and humidity was like a jungle. 20 minutes from reasonable to crap.

Friday was just as bad, and took me 2 hours getting to sleep at 3AM, with a thin bed sheet on me, fan from the window blowing right on my head. Now we approach the weekend, today, and it was 64F and 96% humidity, basically raining outside. The apartment hit 80F, while windows and fans were running. I finally caved and told my roommate I MUST turn on the A/C, in which he fought me a bit. He still wanted his window open, so I told him to shut his air vent and door. (he shut his door but not the vent). I needed to bring the humidity down, but after an hour, he started giving me hell to turn it off, and just keep the windows shut, in which I replied for him to WORK WITH ME THEN. He kept his window open, but shut his door at least. I seriously question if he knows how central A/C works.

For the record, I monitor and pay all the bills, and we generally split the difference. He has more expendable income (quite actually) than me a month, yet I'm willing to fork over a few extra bucks to NOT feel miserable in my apartment. However, I've had hints of him giving me ultimatums about NOT paying as much for the electric bill, even though he's asking me to live in terrible conditions. If he gets what he wants, I'm miserable. If I get what I want, he doesn't suffer. Our electric bills are also lower than they've ever been, thanks to me switching plans with our electric company. I also WILLINGLY have paid $15 more for utilities a month since he paid a bit more rent than me (he has bigger room though). There's now $100/month between our rent, justified.

My roommate has never lived on his own (was in his mom's basement), until rooming with me. I have lived on my own for about 10 years, and have had multiple roommate situations, so I understand the risks, but this A/C situation is ridiculous. Last year we got in a HUGE fight in the summer. It was 83F in our apartment, and he was giving me crap about it. He's repeatedly come home in the night turning it off as I slept, only to wake up sweating bullets.

Any opinions, or recommendations solving this would be helpful.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Change roomates.
This isn't a home maintenance thing. This is a social interaction issue. Forum change admin?

edit - FYI I have had my share of roommates on an INTERNATIONAL scale. I know that nothing can be solved over such type of interaction.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to fxscreamer

MVM

to fxscreamer
You need a new roommate. Either get him to move, or find someone to take your place and move. The heat and A/C are things you should have come to an agreement on before moving in. Learn from the experience and move on.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
Change Room-Mates

This isn't a home maintenance issue
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
said by fxscreamer:

Any opinions, or recommendations solving this would be helpful.

All I can say is it's up to you to come to some form of compromise with your roommate, or get a different roommate.

There's not really much else to be said.
said by fxscreamer:

Also, know that I live on the sunrise side of the house, so my room bakes in the morning. If I keep my window open with a fan, my head is beamed with sunlight at 7AM, so that's a drawback.

Switch rooms?

Or, since you're paying the bills, tell him to suck it up or move out?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to fxscreamer

MVM

to fxscreamer
No sympathy here. I won't even consider running the AC until it's at least 85. It's never set below 80.
I don't know how people can afford to keep their homes so cold in the summer. For goodness sakes, it's summer. Let your body acclimate and you'll be just fine. Human beings survived 195,000 years without AC.
Maybe your room mate has better things to spend his money on.

Get a window unit or get a new room mate and this time sign an agreement before you move in.
Expand your moderator at work

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya

Re: A/C wars with roommate

73 winter / 75 summer. I worked too long and hard to have to suffer heat and cold. I intend to be comfortable in my old age.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Jack_in_VA:

73 winter / 75 summer. I worked too long and hard to have to suffer heat and cold. I intend to be comfortable in my old age.

I thought old farts always wanted the heat to be Miami high.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
AND your complaining about temps 70 to 80 LOL

are you a vampire or something?

It's 100F here right now and you do not see me complaining about it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I thought old farts always wanted the heat to be Miami high.

Only in the cold of winter... Florida is very nice. St. Thomas V.I. is even better.
fxscreamer
Brooklyn, NY

fxscreamer to nunya

to nunya
quote:
No sympathy here. I won't even consider running the AC until it's at least 85. It's never set below 80.
I don't know how people can afford to keep their homes so cold in the summer. For goodness sakes, it's summer. Let your body acclimate and you'll be just fine. Human beings survived 195,000 years without AC.

Get a window unit or get a new room mate and this time sign an agreement before you move in.
LOL is this a troll post? I don't know a person alive that chooses to live like this. Trust me, my roommate isn't somebody I'd call being "good with his money". We're talking maybe $10-$20 here, and I've averaged he has at least $500-$800 more expendable than I do a month. (I know how much he makes)

I am considering a window unit though. That was brought to my attention and is actually a lovely idea.

Also, I think a lot of other people here talking about high temps may not understand humidity. Living in the desert, LA, Arizona, Texas.......those climates aren't the same.

96% humidity. Are you F*&cking serious? That's a greenhouse, and my computer equipment doesn't like it.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

No, nunya See Profile is a respected member of our forum.

When you stated
said by fxscreamer:

Now we approach the weekend, today, and it was 64F and 96% humidity, basically raining outside. The apartment hit 80F, while windows and fans were running.

I realized that either your post was a troll or you have "special needs". I gave up sympathy here also. 64 outside and the apartment spiked to 80. I don't believe the 80 but basically you you should just get your own apartment.
fxscreamer
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

fxscreamer

Easier said than done. This is NYC where apartments average $1500+ / month (we pay 2K a month right now), and I still have student loans. Almost everyone has a roommate in this city. If you have your own apartment, you are "MAKING IT".

For a 1 bedroom (that doesn't suck) in brooklyn near decent locations (subway, stores, etc), you'll need to make 50-70K/year to afford it on your own, without any real debt to your name. This is after all, one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in (FACT). I'm here because of work.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Then toughen up. I grew up in Texas close to the coast. Have lived most of my life without air conditioning. 100 degrees and 95 percent humidity is normal for certain times of the year.
fxscreamer
Brooklyn, NY

fxscreamer

said by robbin:

Then toughen up. I grew up in Texas close to the coast. Have lived most of my life without air conditioning. 100 degrees and 95 percent humidity is normal for certain times of the year.

You do realize that many people DIE in those conditions? That is not normal, and a reason I would never live in a situation like that. Sounds like an "uphill both ways argument". That's literally crazy to me, and FAR from the norm.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

No -- healthy people don't die because of no air conditioning.

Chaoswar
Premium Member
join:2002-09-23
Northlake IL

Chaoswar to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
Why not purchase a small window unit for your room and keep the door closed when the roommate is home?
fxscreamer
Brooklyn, NY

fxscreamer to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

Troll post is getting trollier. I don't feel sorry for anyone living in extreme conditions like that (especially choosing no A/C), nor have I ever known any that do. Despite your insanity, my gear couldn't take heat like that anyway. It would simply shut down from overheating.
fxscreamer

fxscreamer to Chaoswar

to Chaoswar
said by Chaoswar:

Why not purchase a small window unit for your room and keep the door closed when the roommate is home?

THIS. If it comes to it, I will cave on this idea. Seems the most relevant. Redundant, but easiest fix.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to fxscreamer

Mod

to fxscreamer
said by fxscreamer:

said by robbin:

Troll post is getting trollier. I don't feel sorry for anyone living in extreme conditions like that (especially choosing no A/C), nor have I ever known any that do. Despite your insanity, my gear couldn't take heat like that anyway. It would simply shut down from overheating.

Seroiusly? I have a lot of equipment in climate unregulated areas and nothing shuts down -- even way over 100 and 100 percent humidity.

I protest your describing me as insane. From what I can see you are the insane one thinking you need to run the AC when it is 64 degrees outside. But to each, their own. I also think you are insane for living in New York -- but that's another issue that's off topic for this thread!
fxscreamer
Brooklyn, NY

fxscreamer

said by robbin:

said by fxscreamer:

said by robbin:

Seroiusly? I have a lot of equipment in climate unregulated areas and nothing shuts down -- even way over 100 and 100 percent humidity.

I protest your describing me as insane. From what I can see you are the insane one thinking you need to run the AC when it is 64 degrees outside. But to each, their own. I also think you are insane for living in New York -- but that's another issue that's off topic for this thread!

I didn't have a choice to live in NYC, but it was a good career move, but yes, the rent sucks. I have seen countless machines shutdown in 90F+ indoor conditions, brand new machines. I've lived it, experienced it, so it's not speculation.

I've hated hot weather all my life, and never look forward to summer. I'd choose fall weather 10 months out of the year if I could, and maybe a few warm ones with me by a pool or at the beach. Other than that, good riddance. I will never live in the south. L.A. could always be in the radar though, but at least their nights are low humidity 60's. Totally legit.

Maybe you missed the part where I had the windows and fans running at 72F and low humidity outside? Felt great.

too hot
@myvzw.com

too hot to fxscreamer

Anon

to fxscreamer
Before laying down the jack for a window shaker, you might want to double check your lease for any provisions concerning the use of window units. I've seen some leases that forbid their use in buildings with central A/C. Otherwise, a window unit would probably be your best bet in dealing with a room mate who likes it warmer.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
Hi. I live in Texas. In my house, we don't run the central air during the day in the summer, and I use a window unit to cool my "office" when I'm there.

As you can imagine, the house gets pretty warm during the day. 90+ in the living room. The computer out there just keeps on chugging, as do the ones in my office, which is often closed to keep in the cool air once the window unit's timer kicks on.

Granted, that's a dry 90+.

Also your roommate is an asshole for opening a window--even if his vent is closed--while the AC is running. Get a new roomie.

cognizantt6
join:2009-06-13
Montreal, QC

cognizantt6 to fxscreamer

to fxscreamer
I live in an old concrete building that keeps the heat in. Always. In winter, it gets so hot, I open windows. I can't control the heat, I have radiators.

I've already started using the a/c even though temperatures are still fairly mild outside - indoors, it often gets up to 75F.

Summers, it's unbearable without an a/c. Avg summer temp can be high 80s with high humidity - inside my apt, it's intolerable. It's usual I keep the a/c running non stop throughout summer.

If it's 68F in my apt year-round, I'm happy. I have low tolerance for heat.

Per the previous posts, either consider a new roommate, subletting your share of the apartment, or installing a window a/c or a floor unit a/c; as someone else said, check if your building allows you a window unit.

Fortunately, hydro never deregulated here - on an avg monthly plan I pay 32$/month for electricity (heat, hot water is included in rent); you've already made efforts to reduce your apt electric costs by switching providers; with a room a/c 5000btu should be enough - it doesn't consume a lot of power.

It's unreasonable for your roommate to expect you to live in the same temperatures he finds comfortable. Constantly arguing about it will only make your living situation worse.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
Thankfully my roommates and I do not have this problem. We never open the windows except for in the early-mid spring and fall. In the summer it is way too hot to open them and in winter it is too cold. We are just north of Dallas have no problem running the a/c in the summer and heat in the winter.

Ebolla
join:2005-09-28
Dracut, MA

Ebolla to fxscreamer

to fxscreamer
buy a de-humidifier
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

I've never even lived anywhere where A/C would be useful. Where I lived most my life, A/C would have been useful maybe 1 week out of every summer. Not worth the money.

Where I am now, we actually heat all year round. Not a single A/C unit to be found anywhere. Vehicles have A/C that's probably never been turned on.

Billy8529
@myvzw.com

Billy8529

Anon

This is so crazy that I just have to chime in.

Why are so many people against running AC? What is the point of even having it then? I can understand people who are on a fixed income and can't really afford an above average electric bill, but that's about it. I will always GLADLY fork over extra on the electric bill just to stay comfortable in my own house.

I live in TX and the heat is not something I enjoy, I could NOT live without my AC.

That said, I don't really understand how a window unit is going to solve your problem. From what I gather, his issue with running the AC is the electric bill going up? Your window unit will make the electric go up just the same if not more than running the central air.

I would tell him to suck it up and deal with it, or find a new place to stay.

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi

Premium Member

said by Billy8529 :

Why are so many people against running AC?

They aren't they are just trolling.