Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer

Re: A/C wars with roommate

said by fxscreamer:

You do realize that many people DIE in those conditions? That is not normal, and a reason I would never live in a situation like that. Sounds like an "uphill both ways argument". That's literally crazy to me, and FAR from the norm.

If they are quite elderly or sick, perhaps.

But humans existed for a long time before AC existed.

And besides, no one is saying that [you] should live in "100 degrees and 95 percent humidity".

When I started to read this thread, I was feeling that you were right.

But now I think that your roommate is mostly right.

In any event, you guys are incompatible. A true "Odd Couple" situation.

----------------

YOU have incredible balls.

You joined this forum 2 days ago, yet you accuse [nunya] and [robbin] of being trolls----each of them has been on this website for 12 years and each has earned MVM status.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Billy8529

to Billy8529
said by Billy8529 :

Why are so many people against running AC?

34 cents per kwh, in my case.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683 to fxscreamer

to fxscreamer
I had a roommate that would open the windows when it was 100% humidity and would balk at using the air conditioner. It was so humid in the apartment when you opened the fridge, the moisture started condensing so fast. But when it was 70F with ~ 20% humidity he runs the air conditioner. I don't mind the heat, it's the humidity that gets me. Makes me sweat like no tomorrow.

But you can get one of the portable air conditioners for your room so you avoid having it hang out the window. I had one and it sounded like a small mini fridge when it ran. I was surprised how quiet it was.

But you probably should consider finding someplace else to live either alone or with someone you are more compatible with. You really don't know how someone is until you live with them.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Billy8529

Premium Member

to Billy8529
said by Billy8529 :

That said, I don't really understand how a window unit is going to solve your problem. From what I gather, his issue with running the AC is the electric bill going up? Your window unit will make the electric go up just the same if not more than running the central air.

No it won't.

Our window unit paid for itself in the first month we stopped using the central air during the day, and that was even with running it full blast the whole day, every day.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
It's all personal preference. I can't imagine having the AC set higher than 73 here in the Dallas area most any time of the year. The good thing is, it's my choice, I pay and only have to compromise with my wife (kids have no say).

Your issue is a relationship issue. It sounds like you need a new/different roommate.
chamberc

chamberc to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

Then toughen up. I grew up in Texas close to the coast. Have lived most of my life without air conditioning. 100 degrees and 95 percent humidity is normal for certain times of the year.

Sometimes folks want to be comfortable, not just survive.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to fxscreamer

to fxscreamer
Aside from the comfort issues there are medical issues which can be made worse if the temperatures get too extreme (either way)

In my case for example between my medications that have to stay within certain temperatures or they loss their efficacy and my overall medical condition, in a situation that the OP has described, I would be forced to install my own climate controls or find an alternate roommate...

NefCanuck

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
I like the AC. My wife not so much. If the temp in the house goes below 76, she complains that it is cold. After she goes to bed I crank it down a couple of degrees so I can be comfortable.

As for being like 70 and humid, I have run the AC before to help get rid of the humidity. I hate feeling wet. Though usually I will close the windows and use a dehumidifier. I will also run it when it is 70 outside and there is no breeze. It may be cooler outside but if there is no wind, the house still heats up.

By the way besides window units, you might want to look at one of these portable AC units. »www.lowes.com/Heating-Co ··· 108_3_#!

I bought one for the upstairs sun room. It gets too flipping hot in there and there is no air vent.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
96 percent humidity in NY?

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
Put an A/C in your bedroom window and keep the door closed?

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy to Cheese

Anon

to Cheese
This thread is hilarious. If you're young (have student loans) 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity isn't going to hurt you. I live in Iowa, where due to the corn fields we frankly get 100% humidity all summer. I refuse to run the A/C on anything but the hottest days of the year. If it's not over 100 degrees and 90% humidity, the windows and fans are all we're running. Yes, it's caused lots of arguments with roomates, but eventually I found someone who shares my opinion on "dealing with it"

I try to limit A/C usage to 5 times a year or less, if at all possible. It's just not economical to cool a house when I can just deal with the heat for free. Human beings lived for hundreds of thousands of years on this planet without A/C.

Perhaps this attention to frugality is why your roommate has more disposable income.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

I think BOTH of you need to come to some kind of compromise.

I can't see running the AC unless the temps are over 80 and the humidity is over 50%.

When I run the AC I set the thermostat to 77-78 F.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to OldCableGuy

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy
You do realize that when the power usage of the fans meets, or exceeds having ac it's pointless to argue right?
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
I can't take the heat at all, and I can't take humidity either. 50-60 degrees is my ideal temperature year round. I don't have central air, but as soon as May 1st hits, the window A/C unit goes in and usually doesn't get pulled out until around Thanksgiving. The temp is set as low as it can go at 60 degrees and that's what it always runs at. Simply going any warmer then that is out of the question. All three climate control zones in my SUV are also set to 60 degrees all summer long. I friggen HATE the summer months. Seriously, who the hell wants to be getting all sticky, sweaty and gross? People actually find that fun?

A few years ago I drove down to and met up with a friend in Scranton, PA on a Saturday and then we drove to Dover, DE for the Fall NASCAR Sprint Cup Race on Sunday. I stayed in an EconoLodge right in town and as soon as I got into the stuffy room, I immediately fired up the AC. As I usually do I started hammering on the down button. When I got it down to 60 degrees, I hit it one more time and to my surprise it went down to 59. So I kept hitting the down button until it stopped. Guess where it finally stopped at?

Left the motel room, went and explored the city, met up with my friend, had dinner, got back to the room around 8 or 9 PM and when I opened the door I could see my breath! It was friggen awesome! One of the best nights of sleep I ever had.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to fxscreamer

Premium Member

to fxscreamer
No A/C is not an option out in the desert.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to OldCableGuy

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy
»www.currentresults.com/W ··· nual.php

really? i see a lot of claims here about high humidity, when fl is probably on average higher than most states...

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to fxscreamer

to fxscreamer
quote:
This is a forum for posting your good or bad experiences with the Internet, your ISP, broadband, computer hardware or software, and businesses you've dealt with.