spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mydsl
join:2011-08-03
united state

mydsl

has everybody been bought off?

I was already 99% sure that both the politicians and the agencies that are supposed to insure service quality to the American consumer (ex PSC) have been bought off by the corporations, but when we have Verizon pulling this kind of thing,

»stopthecap.com/tag/veriz ··· cations/

and the UNION doesn't even feel the need to mention it to the workers or the public, then you've got to assume that the union maybe has been bought off also. I don't see a thing about this on CWA 1101, 1104, 1108, 1109 website, etc.... Verizon is very quietly doing away with the regulations that protect this country's communication network and you can't even find a news story about it and I don't see the union trying to inform the public or even the workers about it. It's a disgrace.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

If, and it's a big if, they can supply voice communication over wireless that will be just as reliable as a wired connection then I don't see the problem. They are only required to supply a voice line. They aren't required to supply internet or television.
mydsl
united state

1 recommendation

mydsl

Aaron,

They cannot provide equal service over wireless as they were previously providing with a copper (or fiber, if they chose to upgrade the network) connection. I heard the new wireless service is strictly dial tone, no internet, no special service like 911 location, alarm or ATM machine, heck i hear you can't even get caller ID over it. So they'll be forcing consumers to upgrade to capped internet over your cellphone or a T1 line or better for your business. All very quietly without a peep from 99.99% of the public.
Were any of you in a Hurricane Sandy affected area? How well did your cell phone work after the storm? Most people couldn't reach a human being for 3 days on the cell phone. Those who had a fios or plain copper line that didn't get knocked out by a falling tree were in fine shape. This is our country's communication network we're talking about and yet the gov't agencies want to treat it like it's just a matter of consumers choosing who they will get their service from. As Attorney General Eric Schneidermann of NY has said "it's at best a duopoly". In some places, it aint even a duopoly. We pay part of our bill to have a well maintained network and it seems that instead we have 25 million dollar a year CEO's figuring out how to send American jobs overseas and kill employee benefits. If you do a search for "verizon tariff abandon copper" you will not get a single story from a news agency on this!

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek to mydsl

to mydsl
It took 3 - 4 months for clean up crews to even get into fire island. I can see why Verizon would want to do this there.

I was in a Sandy area, and my cell phone worked just as well as it does during a major sporting event or on a major holiday like mothers day. Typical all circuits are busy or similar message.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Was FiOS even on the outer islands? This is nothing new. Corporations pretty much have the entire government bought out now. All we can do is keep voting out the corporate drone politicians.

I keep wondering when Verizon is just going to abandon all of FiOS for wireless. They barely seem to be concentrated on upgrading the network to GPON anymore. Most people who want or try to order GPON speeds are turned down now. They made it clear years ago that they don't intend to build out FiOS to what they originally planned. They just seem interested in maintaining the status quo of the service now. Maybe a sell off to a new company might be a good thing?
mydsl
united state

mydsl

Collusion unopposed, thanks to organizations like ALEC.

»Verizon Kicks Sandy Victims to the Curb As Comcast Embraces Them [52] comments

Comcast gets to take Verizon landline & dsl customers. Verizon gets wireless spectrum and "no compete" clause. US consumer gets less options and crappier service. Executives laugh all the way to the bank. Oh and our kids may all be minimum wage/no benefit workers.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to HardwareGeek

Premium Member

to HardwareGeek
said by HardwareGeek:

It took 3 - 4 months for clean up crews to even get into fire island. I can see why Verizon would want to do this there.

I was in a Sandy area, and my cell phone worked just as well as it does during a major sporting event or on a major holiday like mothers day. Typical all circuits are busy or similar message.

You were lucky, several cell phone towers lost power for days like the OP said. It depended on what area you were in. I had no cell phone for about three days also like the OP.
thepawn
join:2002-10-22
Clifton, NJ

thepawn to mydsl

to mydsl
The future is wireless in the end. VoiceLink may be a bit premature at the moment but I'd say the biggest worry would be datacaps and QoS. With an 8Mbit DSL you could pull down 2 terabytes of data in a month if you ran it 24/7...if Verizon doesn't offer throttle rather then data overage for cell phone coverage (yes, I know Voicelink doesn't to data, so use a cell phone)
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to mydsl

to mydsl
Unfettered corporatism is destroying America, and no one is doing anything about it.
mydsl
united state

mydsl

More proof the average joe has no shot at representation VS these corporations.

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 816.html

Verizon's plan is to force tons of people off copper, not provide a fiber alternative, and if you want more than just plain old dial tone you will pay through the nose via a wireless capped service with massive overage charges. And what is your supposed representative in the gov't going to do about this? NOTHING, He's too busy counting the money in his pocket.
mydsl

1 edit

mydsl

Wow, seems neither the Fire Island residents, nor the Atty Gen of NY (who wants to fine them 100k per day) is happy with Verizon's copper abandonment strategy.

»www.forbes.com/sites/eli ··· per-day/

»www.huffingtonpost.com/b ··· 584.html

Upgrade the network via fiber, don't downgrade it via wireless!
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to mydsl

Premium Member

to mydsl
All these people are doing is complaining. Many have already taken VoiceLink and already switched over to wireless. Verizon has already won.

They should have refused to take anything less than a wired service or a wireless service comparable to what they had (no caps). They could have also started up a WISP or started the ball rolling to wire themselves with fiber, but they didn't. They have no initiative.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

said by silbaco:

All these people are doing is complaining. Many have already taken VoiceLink and already switched over to wireless. Verizon has already won.

They should have refused to take anything less than a wired service or a wireless service comparable to what they had (no caps). They could have also started up a WISP or started the ball rolling to wire themselves with fiber, but they didn't. They have no initiative.

I think a few of them were more concerned about where to live or how to replace everything they owned. Developing a business plan for starting a WISP may have been further down on the priority list.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by Thespis:

said by silbaco:

I think a few of them were more concerned about where to live or how to replace everything they owned. Developing a business plan for starting a WISP may have been further down on the priority list.

Perhaps initially. But it has been quite some time since Sandy hit and they have made no progress on bypassing Verizon. If anything they have embraced Verizon by letting them install VoiceLink and HomeFusion. Those products should never have been allowed near their homes. I'd have taken satellite internet before I'd have let Verizon screw me over yet again.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

To have the satellite providers come and screw you over with low data limits, high latency and the like? I still think most would accept HomeFusion despite how unappealing it is due to it's capability of running faster.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco to mydsl

Premium Member

to mydsl
Both are terrible deals, but the satellite caps are more generous than Homefusion. For $60 per month you can get 10GB Exede with unlimited night usage or 10GB from Homefusion, no extra night usage. Speeds would be nearly identical if not better on Exede. The latency would be the only thing worse than Homefusion, but in an area where HomeFusion is heavily sold, the latency might not be all that different during primetime.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to mydsl

Premium Member

to mydsl
said by mydsl:

has everybody been bought off?

Yes of course, and people drank deeply of the Kool-Aid and Ma Bell is dead.

Well the "community leaders" still hustle a buck.