My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile High
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Sometimes it goes to your head...

...sometimes it goes to your foot.

I was out with a buddy last night. His first time riding in my EcoBoost Flex. We were getting onto a highway. The entrance had two lanes but narrowed to one about 1/2 way to the highway.

He said, "Awww man, we're behind a minivan."

I said, "Not for long!"

And about 8 seconds later we were on the highway at a good clip above the posted limit. Minivan was still about 1/2 down the ramp.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 recommendation

my pt cruiser has the turbo engine. I'm gonna have a ticket soon if I dont stop showing off Let's see who gets one first lol
--
| map your city |

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to Mospaw

Careful, the cops now will call acceleration "careless and imprudent driving". I did a 0-60 pull on a mostly flat on ramp onto I-35 where the speed limit is 65 and still got pulled over b/c I took off so quickly. He let me go when a guy on a bike flew by so quickly my car rocked.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

They call it "unnecessary acceleration" in WI. I have a few of those under my belt from my teenager years. They also have a law concerning "display of power", which for most teenage males is a ticket worthy of bragging rights. I mean come on, the title alone is awesome. "Display of power". What testosterone, peer pressured boy with a new driver's license doesn't want to be accused of that? lol I got my first one when I was 17, roasting the rear tires on my '79 Regal until the road and car were so fill with tire smoke we had to wait for it to clear before we could drive. As the smoke cleared Mr. Officer was sitting there waiting. DOH!

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3

Unnecessary acceleration? What a load of horseshit. I'd fight that ticket tooth and nail if my tires didn't squeal.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI

It is generally associated with squealing the tires, but can be used anytime the acceleration causes a disturbance of peace or a decrease in public safety. The last one, well, you know as well as I that not everyone can handle a powerful vehicle and can get in trouble while an aggressive dab at the pedal. Most cops are not going to bother you when you put the peddle to the metal on an on ramp. But at the same time there is no need to go from 0-25mph in 1 second on main street with people walking around. Here's Manitowoc's ordinance, which was simply the first one to pop up on google.

quote:
10.070 Unnecessary Acceleration and Display of Power Prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle, including motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles and bicycles, in such a manner as to cause, by excessive and unnecessary acceleration, the tires of such vehicle or cycle to spin or emit loud noises or to unnecessarily throw stones or gravel; nor shall such driver cause to be made by excessive and unnecessary acceleration any loud noise as would disturb the peace. [Ord. 12-180 § 1, 2012; Prior code § 10.03]

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3

Well, discretion comes into play here. Any fool flooring it in town deserves what he gets.

The last sentence in that statute - it doesn't apply to the assholes with the loud Harleys, does it?

mob
On the next level..
Premium
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

said by Chinabound:

The last sentence in that statute - it doesn't apply to the assholes with the loud Harleys, does it?

Of course not.
--
Ich habe kein Mitleid - Me
You're a daisy if you do. - Doc Holliday
And as always, have nice day.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
reply to Chinabound

It should. But it usually doesn't.

P.S. It isn't just Harleys. Listen to most sport bikes or HD copy-cat cruisers from any other brand. They are all desperate for attention these days.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
Mile High
reply to Mospaw

I wasn't too worried about Officer Friendly taking umbrage at my momentary burst of acceleration. Aside from the minivan, there were not other cars. I wasn't rude to the minivan in any way. Didn't get close to his rear. Didn't cut him off. No lights flashed (except that I used my signal when changing lanes). No honking. Just a quick romp down the ramp past him.

I was doing about 75 when I merged onto the highway. It's a 65 zone, so that might have gotten someone's attention, but I was only slightly faster than the flow of traffic. I eased off the pedal and blended right in.

Since it's a Ford Flex and not a Porsche 911 or Corvette, it doesn't draw any "wow that goes fast" attention. It's a big silver brick. A quick glance, and it's forgotten.

But I do like both of my turbos and will gladly use every one of the 355 horses, conditions allowing, of course.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Lurch77

Okay the fact that law includes Bicycles is funny, You would need serious legs to light em up on a bicycle.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

4 recommendations

reply to pcdebb

said by pcdebb:

my pt cruiser has the turbo engine. I'm gonna have a ticket soon if I dont stop showing off Let's see who gets one first lol

You should get a ticket for just owning a PT Cruiser.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

mob
On the next level..
Premium
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

Click for full size
said by VegasMan:

said by pcdebb:

You should get a ticket for just owning a PT Cruiser.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House

oh dear God, stop! Those carlashes are the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in my life! I wouldnt dare put those on my car.

I know alot of people hate the pt cruiser, but I like them. they suck on mpg really hard, but I like them. This is my third one
--
| map your city |

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to Chinabound

said by Chinabound:

Well, discretion comes into play here. Any fool flooring it in town deserves what he gets.

Nope it usually doesn't apply to Harleys, because there usualy are quite a few police, and government employees that ride them. So Harleys get a free pass.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

reply to Mospaw

It is addicitve, isn't it? Almost bought an EB Flex. Nothing wrong with using all those horses - you bought and paid for them and don't want to have them get lazy do you?

On my way home there's a nice stretch of highway (4 lane) with a stop light. After the light it's straight for 1-1.5 miles. If I'm first I'll usually punch it to make sure all 365 of my horses are still working. Dry or rain with AWD it just pulls and pulls!

Also fun in the mountains. Where my Grandmother lives there's a 3 mile hill. Wife's Escape can take it at 50 or so and that's all she wrote (speed limit is 40). First time up it with the SHO, I was at 90 before I ran out of balls (got a little twisty and I was coming up on someone else) but she was still pulling.

It's an awesome engine and drivetrain!

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
Mile High

It really is fun to drive. I went to Keystone, CO in January. Roads were clear and dry. Temperature was in the 20's. Altitude was 10,000 feet+. I had three people and some gear in the Flex and going up the mountain twisties was no big deal. It just kept pulling and pulling and pulling way beyond what I was willing to try out, especially considering 500 foot drops and no guard rails. The AWD really helps impart that feeling of stability, too.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

reply to Mospaw

Ah the EB Flex....

Was at a driver training seminar held at a local racetrack up here (Mosport) when the gent paying for the whole event took his wife's new EB Flex on to the track for some hot laps with the beginner group (which was my group.

Nothing scares you more than coming up the back straight at Mosport with a howling, giant refrigerator chasing and passing you like you were going in reverse (along with a number of V6 powered Mustangs too)

Best part was after he takes the Flex off the track, the front brakes are billowing smoke and as the gent hands the keys back to his wife he says "Just wait twenty minutes and the brakes will be fine"

NefCanuck

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to Mospaw

I was this close to the EB Flex but a friend said to check out the SHO. A once I did, it was all over - just more tech in the SHO in 2009. But the Flex is still an awesome vehicle. Head over to fordflex.net and there is a guy that has a modified one that will ourun a Vette in the 1/4 mile. Stock they will beat many cars on the road.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
Mile High

I fell in love with the Flex when it first came out in '09. Then they added EcoBoost in '10. I wanted one bad. I prefer a "long roof" and even though the Taurus SHO has more goodies (and the ability to turn off stability control) the Flex fits my wants and needs better. Plus people seem confused by this really fast brick, which makes me smile even more.

I'm a member of FordFlex.net and have seen the overboosted Flex that eats Corvettes for lunch. While it would be fun, I like the reliability of mine and lack of debt too much.

I'd love to go neck and neck with an SHO just to see how close they are. I know the Flex is a good amount heavier.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA

For me it was a tough decision. I love the look of the Flex and the ride was awesome. But I'm a sucker for tech and in '10 the Flex was a little behind the SHO. Wife wanted the Flex and I wanted the SHO so we compromised and she picked the color.

If you find yourself out East and want to run them, let me know. I suspect they will be very close - the SHO is a porker and I have a feeling they both make the same power as they are built on the same platform.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
Mile High

1 recommendation

Sounds like a plan to me. Likewise, if you're ever out this way, ping me!

The Flex is basically a Taurus wagon, and those with EcoBoost an "SHO" wagon, so they're probably pretty close. The Taurus is no lightweight, but the Flex outweighs it by a little bit. I'm pretty sure the Taurus is marginally quicker. But really, there's only one way to find out and it's kind of fun (if done in the right environment ... not on the street).