workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast

Is Windows 8 the new "New Coke"?

»www.tomshardware.com/news/Franl-···538.html

It seems to me they doth protest too much.

BTW, I still use Windows 8 for work with Start 8 and it is rock-solid.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

2 recommendations

Re: Is Windows 8 the new "New Coke"?

Aren't there enough threads on this already -- couldn't you have just added this to one of them? Sigh...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

georgermct
PERFORMANCE

join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to workablob
Yes, and nobody likes it except for a select few.

Win8 as we know it (Metro touch) will be an option not the only GUI for desktops.
--
OOL Subscriber Since - 10/18/00 . . . iO Subscriber Since - 11/22/04 . . . Optimum Voice Subscriber Since 06/30/11

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to workablob

I don't think the issue is stability - after all, its base is a tweaked Win 7 which is VERY stable. The issue is with the GUI.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to workablob

Now that we can buy startisback its a pretty cool os. Like 7 but less resource intensive. If I could afford windows 8 i'd use it. Darn you unemployment.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Aren't there enough threads on this already?

Yes.

said by darcilicious:

couldn't you have just added this to one of them? Sigh...

Yes.

You have my apologies.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
I don't mind it... it seems representative of the general population randomly commenting on this topic!

I think this is the first time since Windows 95 that so many non-technology people have commented to me about Windows... back then in a curious sort of way, now in a "i heard it was terrible" sort of way, then followed up with a curious, "what do you think about mac?"

I'm genuinely surprised that Mac sales didn't inversely rise as PC's dipped.

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08
said by urbanriot:

I'm genuinely surprised that Mac sales didn't inversely rise as PC's dipped.

They could have made a killing by now if they had dropped their prices substantially, but that's apparently not what they're about... sad though.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to urbanriot
New Coke,....?

I don't know,....

Sure why not,....

I don't really remember it much personally since I don't consume much in the way of sugary drinks. Ultimately sugar water is sugar water though even if the formula was changed enough for people to notice a difference in taste. Either way It serves the same purpose of hydration and calorie-intake with the real difference to end consumer being the minor diffence of taste that they set their preference on.

A difference in taste not the function or purpose it serves. Meaning, perfectly serviceable but not well liked.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to workablob
No, it's Pepsi Blue.
quote:
"Where are the Windows 8 attack ads?" I recently asked, wondering why Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL ) hasn't gone for the jugular the way it did with its Vista-slaying "I'm a Mac" ads several years ago.

The sad reality is that even Apple can't be bothered with the fading relevance of Windows-fueled devices.
[...]
Remember Pepsi Blue?

PepsiCo (NYSE: PEP ) introduced the berry-flavored soda in 2002. It turned heads originally, but it was doomed. Did I mention that it was Windex blue? PepsiCo tried to be edgy -- just as Coca-Cola thought it was being clever by appealing to Pepsi fans with the sweeter New Coke -- but at the end of the day, the product was just flat out undrinkable.

It was blue. Nobody wants to drink Windex.

PepsiCo discontinued Pepsi Blue less than two years later. Can the berry-flavored Windows 8 fare any better?

»www.fool.com/investing/general/2···lue.aspx
--
Wacky Races 2012!

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
You mean new Windows 8.1 Blue will be as Pepsi Blue ?
([WIN8] Windows 'Blue' to be Windows 8.1)
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

I don't really remember it much personally since I don't consume much in the way of sugary drinks.

I've never consumed soda but I heard plenty about the various coke changes throughout the years.

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest
reply to workablob
I am Personally happy with Windows 8, Metro/Moderm apps I use 50 percent of the time, Windows Defender, and Desktop Apps as well. System Performance is rock Solid, no noticeable issues, Don't mind the full screen Metro/Modern Apps at all

Can't wait for Windows 8.1 to come out, and fully update this machine to that

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to workablob
Windows 8 is really nice when you get rid of Metro and use a ClassicShell and the Windows 7 skin.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

I hate the dumbed-down window appearance. Give me back Aero! The new color of the windows is God awful.

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada
reply to workablob
People are still bashing Windows 8? I think we got the point. Either install some start menu replacement or go back to Windows 7.

Believe it or not, some of us do like Windows 8 and wish people would stop using it as a pushing bag. It doesn't deserve all this hate, it's ridiculous.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Octavean:

I don't really remember it much personally since I don't consume much in the way of sugary drinks.

I've never consumed soda but I heard plenty about the various coke changes throughout the years.

You mean there is more,......

Meh, selective hearing and selective memory. We are still talking about sugar water here. I find it hard to focus on the inane or that which doesn't interest me thus the vague recollection. That's not to say I don't recall the event at all.

I suspect the analogy with respect to Windows 8 is somewhat suitable. It still seems like an arbitrary like dislike situation.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
reply to workablob

I've watched non-tech people struggle with win 8 in person, they were not using the charms bar to shutdown the computer, they didn't know how to access the desktop control panel to uninstall software like the trial av they were ignoring completely after it's trial had expired. When I popped up the charms bar to pull up the control panel, uninstalled mccrappy, and turned on Windows Defender(MSE) for them at least. That little video didn't really help much, and seriously putting the shutdown command under settings was one of the dumbest things I've seen in a long time. Thing among many other issues with how the setup the gui.

I still direct people to get win 7 over Win 8 if they have a choice. WinRT is a failure in the tablet market, and they used the same interface for desktops. As much as they like to tout the sales figures, it's less than one major city in this country, far from phenomenal.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by BlitzenZeus:

As much as they like to tout the sales figures, it's less than one major city in this country, far from phenomenal.

I agree it is bewildering to people used to the normal windows desktop... but 100 million is 1/3 of the USA's population.... what city are you talking about that has 100 million people?

I tend to toss Start8 and ModernMix on the systems and they return to happy windows users.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
You're right I mistook the sales figure, but I feel they are counting all the bulk licenses sold to companies like Dell before the units were sold, the only other thing might have been their cheap upgrade which some people thought was a good deal at the time.

Unfortunately Stardock software wasn't free last I checked.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
said by BlitzenZeus:

$5 isn't going to break most people's wallets either...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to BlitzenZeus
Yea they are estimating that it is more like 59 million actually installed... the 100 might also include OEM pre-sales.

You are correct about Start8 and ModernMix... most people dont mind the $10, when they do I aim them at Classic Shell.

ModernMix really does give some of the new framework apps (aka the interface formerly known as metro, aka ModernUI) a fighting chance for desktop users. Most users will not even consider using an app that takes over their desktop screen (ala Fullscreen8)... but once modernmix is running they don't mind using the modern UI apps as much.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
Maybe try startisback? its $3 for 2 licenses and $5 for 5. It runs at a lower level level than the rest(classic shell start8 ect) which run in the background and therefore is less resource intensive. Sure they may not be that resource intensive, but if you are gonna spend money on it do it right.

»startisback.com/#buy-tab

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by BlitzenZeus:

$5 isn't going to break most people's wallets either...

I shouldn't have to pay more money to fix Microsoft's failures
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to CylonRed
Stable? I haven't had any BSOD's although I had a major problem when I could not boot and Dell support spent over an hour trying to fix the problem (which they claimed was a Microsoft one). I was informed that I could NEVER turn off secure boot permanently (unless I abandoned UEFI and reinstalled the OS) as I would get, eventually, a hang at Dell logo on boot and I might not be so lucky the next time and could have a unrepairable machine. MANY Dell users were reporting this same problem in the Dell forums and the tech who helped me said he had gotten over 200 calls that month alone from users who had the OS hang on Dell logo on boot/reboot. So, I have kept secure boot turned on and have had no problems for the past 4.5 months but I can't boot Linux if I ever want to so I wouldn't say Win 8 is stable at least in this regard.

Plus, I have MANY instances of File Explorer becoming unresponsive and closing. I wouldn't know this if I didn't peruse Event Viewer or look at the reports in Action Center where these all pile up because I don't allow automatic sending to Microsoft (although Microsoft has some method of getting around that and some errors get sent anyway with no permission from me and no notification that they have been sent anyway). Plus, File Explorer is frequently too slow to respond and since I use Windows Defender as my only real time AV, I doubt the AV is the cause. A MAJOR reason I bought a new computer with LOTS of RAM (16GB) was so I would not have slow Windows/File Explorer.

I think Win 8 just looks stable because unlike with XP you don't get the error popups. With XP, I would certainly know the moment Windows Explorer became unresponsive...I would know before it shut down and if I couldn't fix it and it did shut down I would know immediately and would see a report on my screen. I don't like that Windows 8 tries to hide everything from the user so they think it is stable. I have a zillion more errors and problems reported in Event Viewer than I ever had with XP. And, to make matters worse, when I try to get more information from Microsoft I get sent to a NON EXISTENT TechNet page. If I do send in error reports, I never ONCE have gotten a fix suggested from Microsoft (even when I have checked again for a fix MONTHS LATER).

I think stability is SURFACE stability only. I'll take XP stabllity any day over Win 8's.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Fortunately - you are not the only one that has Win 8 - I know others that have few if any issues. Though it sounds like part of the problem maybe Dell as well.

If this was an every month happening with the general user I guarantee there would be a TON more info out there and negative reviews (just like Vista) - but 99.9% of the reviews critical of Win 8 has to do with the GUI.

Though I have to admit - I find it difficult to take a lot of stock in the post since you should want to go back to Win 7 as it runs circles around XP (I still have 2 machines running XP). Though I am SURE you have major issues with Win 7 and if you do - then you should have a LOT more with XP.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
I never had Win 7 (except for the public beta on a virtual machine that could not use Aero). I'm coming to Win 8 from 10 years with XP Pro on several different computers. I did not like Win 7 at all GUI wise or otherwise. I found Vista Ultimate that I got as a free gift from Microsoft (as a Windows panelist and the feedback testing) and had only on a virtual machine (so no Aero there either) more to my liking than Win 7 GUI wise but both had horrifically horrible Search and other problems (UAC) that Win 8 doesn't have (I disabled UAC in the registry and search is decent).

I had an awful time on Win 7 beta trying to have classic Buttons and Windows but no problems with that on Vista. On Vista Ultimate I was able to even import Microsoft Plus! so I had all my XP and 98SE themes I could use. I couldn't do that on Win 7 and Win 7 (the beta) forced me to make a new theme every time I started it (it would't properly save the theme I made...could have been something to do with Virtualbox but I read that most Classic Windows and Buttons XP users hated Win 7 beta so it wasn't just me) and I had a LOT of trouble even making a theme as it tried to force those awful accessibility themes!
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to me1212
said by me1212:

but if you are gonna spend money on it do it right.

I tried em all (the start menu restoration apps)... I went with Start8+ModernMix for the stability, at the time SIB gave me some issue (can't recall specifically what it was too many start replacements, and too many trials).

But to each his own... if you like SIB better go for it For the record I have seen no system impact from having Start8 + ModernMix installed.

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Aren't there enough threads on this already -- couldn't you have just added this to one of them? Sigh...

Nope, the fanboys that want to keep beating this dead horse, will continue, until the next Microsoft OS, then lather, rinse, repeat with that one.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits
reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

No, it's Pepsi Blue.

Remember Pepsi Blue?

PepsiCo (NYSE: PEP ) introduced the berry-flavored soda in 2002. It turned heads originally, but it was doomed. Did I mention that it was Windex blue? PepsiCo tried to be edgy -- just as Coca-Cola thought it was being clever by appealing to Pepsi fans with the sweeter New Coke -- but at the end of the day, the product was just flat out undrinkable.

It was blue. Nobody wants to drink Windex.

PepsiCo discontinued Pepsi Blue less than two years later. Can the berry-flavored Windows 8 fare any better?

»www.fool.com/investing/general/2···lue.aspx

Undrinkable ?

Nahhhh - Many of us drink Scotch or Bourbon whisky !

Hey, I rather LIKED Pepsi Blue.

It was different, whereas 'Cosby Coke' was trying to taste the SAME as something else - PEPSI.

PB reminded me of Popsicles of the same colour that we had as kids.

We DID nickname it 'Pepsi Windex', and joked about it though, but I bought a bunch of it when they chopped the price to disco it.

As for Windows 8, it's the best thing that ever happened to the future of Linux, besides Android, IMNSHO.

It's the same as when early FireFox looked more like IE6 (the devil we knew, though with tabs added) than IE7 did, so many folks gave FF a chance at that point on that factor alone.

BTW, I currently use mostly IE8 on XP & Vista beasts (don't like IE9 as they took away some stuff which I got to like about IE8 - yep, that's M$, whose mantre all too often seems to be "change for the sake of change"), plus FF14, and I use FF10 LTS & Opera 11.xx on an older Win2K notebook, a Thinkpad T22 maxxed out to 512MB of RAM.