MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Davesnothere

MVM

to Davesnothere

Re: Is Windows 8 the new "New Coke"?

said by Davesnothere:

I suppose you really play a Fender Precision bass too ?

Gibson bass here,.....

Although I wouldnt say I play it well,.....

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
The listed Catalyst 12.6 driver will not install in Win8 or Win7. I have tried that driver, it will not even install on Win7-64 because AMD messed up the INF file and it doesn't detect the AGP card. Many other people in the AMD forums have complained about that, but AMD has never responded or bothered to fix it. We have to use the Catalyst 12.4 version as that is the last one that works. But, that one will not install on Win8, either, I tried and was met with the "The driver does not support this version of windows" message. I tried using both the setup program with the driver and using the method of update driver using the device manager. Neither worked, get same message about unsupported version of Windows. I followed the link to the posted 12.4 driver that has been altered to support Win8, but the download link no longer works. Also, it is noted that even doing that does not make for a fully functional install.

I do see that now Creative Labs have updated their driver to support my sound card. But I'm not going to run my machine at 1024x768 when I can stay on Win7 and have 1920x1080.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

There's got to be a way to be able to get the differences between the two INF files and patch in the AGP part into the Windows 8 compatible one.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by trparky:

There's got to be a way to be able to get the differences between the two INF files and patch in the AGP part into the Windows 8 compatible one.

I don't know enough about driver INFs to do that.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

If someone could post the two INF files, one from the Windows 8 version with no AGP support and the one that has AGP support, I can possibly try my hand at merging the differences.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by trparky:

If someone could post the two INF files, one from the Windows 8 version with no AGP support and the one that has AGP support, I can possibly try my hand at merging the differences.

I think the difference between the AGP and PCI-E drivers is more than just the INF file. I believe there are some DLL file differences, as well. I was referring to making the existing 12.4 AGP installer work on Win8. I think some people have modified the INF file to do that, but I don't know how.

roc5955
Premium Member
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY

roc5955 to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob
I would argue that Windows 8 is the new Goat Urine.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by aurgathor:

said by workablob:

If the Windows 8.1 doesn't bring back the start menu/button I have a feeling people will 'de-fectionately' refer to it as Windows Blew .

Geez, ya go out for a while in the nice Spring afternoon air, and look what happens - Da wisecrackers/soothsayers come out of the woodwork and beatcha to the punch !

Good One !

And seriously, I must agree - Great minds think alike, and all that.

I suppose you really play a Fender Precision bass too ?

EDIT : I just thought of something to adjust in your post (look carefully in my quote above).

I have a black P-Bass like my avatar but it's on permanent loan to my brother in Pgh. I have a nice blue and silver one on my wall too. Mostly I use a Guild pilot for my jams and studio work though.

Nice fix on my post.

Dave
workablob

workablob to Octavean

to Octavean
I used to have a Kramer and I loved it.

I even rigged leds and some circuitry to flash the lights with the tempo of my slapping of the strings.

Then Anthrax's road crew took it either by design or mistake.

Oh Well.

Dave

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by fuziwuzi:

said by trparky:

I think the difference between the AGP and PCI-E drivers is more than just the INF file. I believe there are some DLL file differences, as well. I was referring to making the existing 12.4 AGP installer work on Win8. I think some people have modified the INF file to do that, but I don't know how.

After a lot of searching and comparing, I figured out how to modify the INF file. It took doing that plus modifying Win8's startup and some other settings to finally get the display driver to install. The Catalyst Control Center would not work, nor any of the other functions, but at least the driver operated the display at 1920x1080x32bpp as it should and I was able to obtain a decent WEI score. But, after a week of playing with Win8, I just don't see any benefit to using it over my Win7 installation (I installed as a dual boot, I kept my Win7 install on another partition). Win8's separate UI's for various tasks is just confusing and counterproductive. It requires more steps to do the same tasks. I used it daily for the week, not booting my Win7, forcing myself to learn the various differences. But, I missed the simplicity of Win7 so I decided that Win8 wasn't bringing me anything I needed and booted up Win7 and deleted the Win8 install. Perhaps in the future should I get a touch screen computer, Win8 would make more sense. But for now, my Win7 64-bit Ultimate will suffice.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob
said by workablob:

I have a black P-Bass like my avatar but it's on permanent loan to my brother in Pgh. I have a nice blue and silver one on my wall too. Mostly I use a Guild pilot for my jams and studio work though.

Nice fix on my post.

My main bass is a Rickenbacker 4001 from the 70's, carved out from all the other pickup mods which I tried in attempts to avoid the hum of the factory ones, before finally snapping up a pair of the active EMGs like those on most Steinberger basses of the 80s.

As of 1985, my electronics became much simpler with THOSE - just a volume control and the original pickup switch - and, oh yes, a 9V battery.

My favourite part of the Rick always was its neck.

BTW, I positioned the EMGs similarly to where the pickups are on a Fender Jazz bass (bridge & middle), making it sound quite a bit like a Jazz, moreso than like a Rick, whose signature tone comes partiallly from where its original pickups are located (middle & neck), and also from the highpass filter capacitor located in series with the signal from its larger back pickup.

I used to have a Fender P bass just before that Rick, same colours as yours, so it caught my eye.

Also, I'm now testing a Squier 5-string bass (P-body & Jazz pickups), as it has the widest neck at the nut of any stock production bass (slightly over 2 inches), to match my large hands.

AND, to get back on topic, I still am holding out from getting Windoze 8 for the same reasons as most who are avoiding it - Too much change for the sake of change.

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob

»www.howtogeek.com/114283 ··· s-image/

LOL

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits

trparky

Premium Member

OK, so I decided to go ahead and install Windows 8 in a virtual machine (VirtualBox) to see what has been fixed and what hasn't been fixed by the likes of Stardock.

Note, I haven't activated Windows 8 since it was only a test install in a virtual machine.

The Start Menu we all know and love is back. Check.

Is the god awful UI interface that looks like it came from the Windows 3.1 era fixed? Check. Downloaded and installed WindowBlinds Beta. Now that's what I'm talking about! That looks good! The skin is called Cadiz.

Full screen apps for desktop users that don't switch to full screen? Yep, download ModernMIX and that's fixed.

So here's some screen shots.

Windows 8 skinned... Hallelujah!

ModernMix... Now that's what I'm talking about!

Translucent window effects are back!

Now this is functional and usable version of Windows 8 on a traditional desktop without a touchscreen! This may actually make me want to install Windows 8 again!

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob

said by trparky:

OK, so I decided to go ahead and install Windows 8 in a virtual machine (VirtualBox) to see what has been fixed and what hasn't been fixed by the likes of Stardock.

Note, I haven't activated Windows 8 since it was only a test install in a virtual machine.

The Start Menu we all know and love is back. Check.

Is the god awful UI interface that looks like it came from the Windows 3.1 era fixed? Check. Downloaded and installed WindowBlinds Beta. Now that's what I'm talking about! That looks good! The skin is called Cadiz.

Full screen apps for desktop users that don't switch to full screen? Yep, download ModernMIX and that's fixed.

So here's some screen shots.

Windows 8 skinned... Hallelujah!
[att=1]

ModernMix... Now that's what I'm talking about!
[att=2]

Translucent window effects are back!
[att=3]

Now this is functional and usable version of Windows 8 on a traditional desktop without a touchscreen! This may actually make me want to install Windows 8 again!

Nice!

OK, Off to get a copy of Window Blinds.

You just made me want to install 8 on my home PC.

Thanks,

Blob

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to trparky

MVM

to trparky
Your post shows me how subjective these things can be,......

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Windows 8 does seem to run slightly better on the same hardware than Windows 7 did. It's almost as if Microsoft has done some work under the hood of Windows to make it run better. I have no idea what they did but it does seem that way.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

Let me guess. You fresh installed W8 and it runs better? That (fresh install) always helps. Try in backward order (from old W8 to fresh W7) and see

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

No, I upgraded 7 to 8. Stills runs better on the same hardware.