Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

2 recommendations

darcilicious to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob

Re: Is Windows 8 the new "New Coke"?

Aren't there enough threads on this already -- couldn't you have just added this to one of them? Sigh...

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

said by darcilicious:

Aren't there enough threads on this already?

Yes.
said by darcilicious:

couldn't you have just added this to one of them? Sigh...

Yes.

You have my apologies.

Dave

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

I don't mind it... it seems representative of the general population randomly commenting on this topic!

I think this is the first time since Windows 95 that so many non-technology people have commented to me about Windows... back then in a curious sort of way, now in a "i heard it was terrible" sort of way, then followed up with a curious, "what do you think about mac?"

I'm genuinely surprised that Mac sales didn't inversely rise as PC's dipped.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo

said by urbanriot:

I'm genuinely surprised that Mac sales didn't inversely rise as PC's dipped.

They could have made a killing by now if they had dropped their prices substantially, but that's apparently not what they're about... sad though.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to urbanriot

MVM

to urbanriot
New Coke,....?

I don't know,....

Sure why not,....

I don't really remember it much personally since I don't consume much in the way of sugary drinks. Ultimately sugar water is sugar water though even if the formula was changed enough for people to notice a difference in taste. Either way It serves the same purpose of hydration and calorie-intake with the real difference to end consumer being the minor diffence of taste that they set their preference on.

A difference in taste not the function or purpose it serves. Meaning, perfectly serviceable but not well liked.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

I don't really remember it much personally since I don't consume much in the way of sugary drinks.

I've never consumed soda but I heard plenty about the various coke changes throughout the years.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by urbanriot:

said by Octavean:

I don't really remember it much personally since I don't consume much in the way of sugary drinks.

I've never consumed soda but I heard plenty about the various coke changes throughout the years.

You mean there is more,......

Meh, selective hearing and selective memory. We are still talking about sugar water here. I find it hard to focus on the inane or that which doesn't interest me thus the vague recollection. That's not to say I don't recall the event at all.

I suspect the analogy with respect to Windows 8 is somewhat suitable. It still seems like an arbitrary like dislike situation.

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

old_tech to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Aren't there enough threads on this already -- couldn't you have just added this to one of them? Sigh...

Nope, the fanboys that want to keep beating this dead horse, will continue, until the next Microsoft OS, then lather, rinse, repeat with that one.

workablob
Houston, TX

1 edit

workablob

said by old_tech:

said by darcilicious:

Nope, the fanboys that want to keep beating this dead horse, will continue, until the next Microsoft OS, then lather, rinse, repeat with that one.

If I'm a Fanboi it would be towards Microsoft. Sure, I have dabbled in Linux but I still don't use it.

I do get a kick out of watching Microsoft try to rationalize their poor decisions though.

It reminds me of my Mom trying to convince me to eat beets.

Mom: 'You love Beets. Sure you do. Eat your beets. You love them.'

Dave

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

1 recommendation

urbanriot to old_tech

Premium Member

to old_tech
said by old_tech:

Nope, the fanboys general population want to keep beating this dead horse , will continue, until the next Microsoft OS, then lather, rinse, repeat with that one they'll start buying PC's again and Microsoft sales will be what they were for every other OS release.

I fixed your mistakes.

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy

Premium Member

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by old_tech:

Nope, the fanboys general population want to keep beating this dead horse , will continue, until the next Microsoft OS, then lather, rinse, repeat with that one they'll start buying PC's again and Microsoft sales will be what they were for every other OS release.

I fixed your mistakes.

^ This.

I loved XP, I love Win 7. As others have mentioned, GUI aside Windows 8 is extremely similar to Windows 7 - so why "upgrade"?

I seem to remember similar groups of people defending Vista, only now do they admit that it was a bad OS.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by Snuffbox:

I seem to remember similar groups of people defending Vista, only now do they admit that it was a bad OS.

No, they won't. They're always busy promoting the latest (and greatest, of course) Windows OS...

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

old_tech to Snuffbox

Premium Member

to Snuffbox
Snufbox, you seem to be confused about the statement of those who liked Vista when it came out and slammed it later.

Tiotal biased opinion and FUD.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

You may be confusing "those who liked Vista" with "those who were anticipating Longhorn", people excitedly anticipating all the changes that were promised or partly integrated that didn't make it into the final version.

There were proclamations made concerning unified systems with a shared schema utilizing WinFS... promises that still haven't been implemented.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to Snuffbox

Premium Member

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

....As others have mentioned, GUI aside, Windows 8 is extremely similar to Windows 7 - so why "upgrade"? ....

It's just that simple.

And if M$ were to give us back our START MENU in Win 8, delivered as an Important Windows Update, even as an alternate GUI configurable by ticking 'Classic' somewhere not too deeply hidden in the Control Panel, then I for one would give their Win 8 a chance.

But don't ram Metro (or any other arbitrary change, for that matter) down our fucking throats and expect us not to gag and puke it back up !

M$ will only listen when the PC makers tell them that sales are down, and by then it will be too late, when the plethora of Android Tablets are fully on the streets and in folks' homes.

[ ♪ ♫Cue the Jeopardy Theme ♪ ♫]

Tick Tock, Mister Ballmer !

(The irony is that it might hurt PC makers more than it hurts M$ - Some are diversifying in order to reduce their exposure to Metro - HP for example has apparently just streeted these alternate OS notebooks called 'ChromeBooks'.)

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

The irony is that it might hurt PC makers more than it hurts M$

Not just PC makers but also component manufacturers like Intel, Foxconn, Gigabyte, etc.

Intel banked and pushed Windows 8 so hard it'll make your nose bleed and they continue to advertise how great Windows 8 is on behalf of Microsoft because their eggs are all in Microsoft's basket.

It frustrates me that Microsoft's playing a game of arrogance as they're affecting so many people down the line from PC manufacturer's to component manufacturer's to the stores that sell this equipment to the people that support it.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

....Intel banked and pushed Windows 8 so hard it'll make your nose bleed and they continue to advertise how great Windows 8 is on behalf of Microsoft because their eggs are all in Microsoft's basket....

Yes, true.

Reminds me of the marriage between Intel and RAM-Bus memory - Remember RAM-Bus ?

And you're right - If it affects PC makers, it will also affect parts makers, even Windows app makers, if they sell less app licences.

Shit, there'll even be LESS PIRACY of 3rd party Windows apps if there become less units on which to run them when the Android revolution kicks in full throttle.

Now THAT's irony for ya !!!

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob

said by Davesnothere:

said by urbanriot:

....Intel banked and pushed Windows 8 so hard it'll make your nose bleed and they continue to advertise how great Windows 8 is on behalf of Microsoft because their eggs are all in Microsoft's basket....

Yes, true.

Reminds me of the marriage between Intel and RAM-Bus memory - Remember RAM-Bus ?

I still have a PC I used for gaming with Rambus.

Dave