how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rbmoving

@bhn.net

DVR Update

Following was picked up from the "If I could Add a product...."

I have Cisco 8742 Boxes....at time these boxes can be very non-responsive.....slow to react to remote commands, scroll down thru Recorded\Scheduled Listings, etc. I have gotten into the habit of re-booting them every 5 to 7 days. The above Thread mentioned the release of ODN 6.0 currently taking place in the Orlando market, soon to be coming to the Pinellas market.

Doing some research....I found articles about TWC ODN 6.0...and it goes back to 2009 in the TWC Market in New York. If I read the articles correctly, 6.0 will relieve the 8742 memory by using the Cloud concept...therefore the result should make the Boxes faster by making more available memory available. I hope this will be so.

It would be very helpful if the updates and changes of ODN 6.0 were Posted in this Forum..... Anytime you get a PC OS Update it always come with a brief outline of the enhancements\Improvements.

My Boxes are running ODN 5_2_0_9...so as reported.....its not yet here in Pinellas... If what I read was correct and its been operational in the NY Market since 2009...there surely has been plenty of time to shake out the Bugs. I am so looking forward to what I hope will be "Relief"

Satch

join:2009-11-25

said by rbmoving :

Following was picked up from the "If I could Add a product...."

I have Cisco 8742 Boxes....at time these boxes can be very non-responsive.....slow to react to remote commands, scroll down thru Recorded\Scheduled Listings, etc. I have gotten into the habit of re-booting them every 5 to 7 days. The above Thread mentioned the release of ODN 6.0 currently taking place in the Orlando market, soon to be coming to the Pinellas market.

Doing some research....I found articles about TWC ODN 6.0...and it goes back to 2009 in the TWC Market in New York. If I read the articles correctly, 6.0 will relieve the 8742 memory by using the Cloud concept...therefore the result should make the Boxes faster by making more available memory available. I hope this will be so.

It would be very helpful if the updates and changes of ODN 6.0 were Posted in this Forum..... Anytime you get a PC OS Update it always come with a brief outline of the enhancements\Improvements.

My Boxes are running ODN 5_2_0_9...so as reported.....its not yet here in Pinellas... If what I read was correct and its been operational in the NY Market since 2009...there surely has been plenty of time to shake out the Bugs. I am so looking forward to what I hope will be "Relief"

The Cisco 8742's are the fastest boxes. The problem was that some bugs in the early versions of the Navigator software slowed them down. Version 6.0 is very stable and those boxes should be fast. My legacy SA-8300HDC, although not a speed demon, it does seem a bit faster since ODN 6 was pushed out. I understand that ODN 6 is rolling out in several areas of Florida-BHN regions now. Some areas already have the update.

Satch

rbmoving

@bhn.net

Service area; Pinellas County, Fl. last night I heard and saw my CISCO DVR go Off....so this morning I checked its ODN. It is now 6_0-0-19.....so the new version was pushed to my Box. First run thru, can't say I see any difference.....I'll be checking to see the issue of Conflicts recordings is corrected....ie, you delete a conflict recording days in advance to find it shows back up again as a conflict........

I sure wish the cable companies would provide details for those of us who would like to know the enhancements\Improvements\Changes of Updates. In the past I found new features simply by stumbling across them.....been nice to have known of the new features.

SATCH...I saw a Posting by you out in a TWC Community Forum.....the topic included issues with ODN 6....and customers were unhappy that the ODN removed the DVR Compression. My Box with ODN 6 still has this feature. Does this mean at least BHN kept that Feature ....or, even though I see the Update.....its not completed as yet...

telijah
Premium
join:2013-04-22
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rbmoving

How do you check the ODN? I got home last night (Pinellas County) and noticed one of my recorded shows was split into two recordings, so I thought I had a power blip.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

Boxes in St Pete were upgraded early this morning.

billd104

join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL
kudos:1

1 edit

Very early... 2:35AM the beast sprang to life today!! Edit: I meant to type 2:45AM...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rbmoving

I was up waiting for the update to make sure all went well...and yes 2:45 was the time.

billd104

Oldsmar, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by BHNtechXpert:

I was up waiting for the update to make sure all went well...and yes 2:45 was the time.

Your dedication is at the same time astonishing and most appreciated!!

telijah
Premium
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rbmoving

How do you guys check the version? Not doubting at all, but the nerd in me would like to know.

rbmoving

@bhn.net
reply to BHNtechXpert

As posted; I see ODN 6 was installed in my Cisco Box....but DVR Compensation is still working....will it stay....or does this Update take place over a period of time? It has been reported elsewhere that ODN 6 illuminated this feature because it utilized too much memory.

Could you post a few highlights of ODN 6?

billd104

Oldsmar, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by rbmoving :

As posted; I see ODN 6 was installed in my Cisco Box....but DVR Compensation is still working....will it stay....or does this Update take place over a period of time? It has been reported elsewhere that ODN 6 illuminated this feature because it utilized too much memory.

Could you post a few highlights of ODN 6?

I was not aware of DVR compensation being eliminated? The majority of fixes / improvements for ODN 6.0 are behind the scenes. Incorrect drive utilization % displayed, Slow program search performance, etc. I would defer to those more qualified than myself to answer this question completely however.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rbmoving

Guys I will discuss the features and changes with 6 once the updates are complete. Lets get through the updates and soak period with no issues and everything working well and revisit this in a bit. Thanks

billd104

Oldsmar, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by BHNtechXpert:

Guys I will discuss the features and changes with 6 once the updates are complete. Lets get through the updates and soak period with no issues and everything working well and revisit this in a bit. Thanks

+1

Wally173

join:2013-05-08
Lithia, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

any idea when hillsborough county will get this update?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Wally173:

Soon...exactly when escapes me at the moment (forgive the memory lapse but right now lots of things going on dates a bit jumbled).
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rbmoving

Those of you in the Deland area will be getting your updates tonight very late (well tomorrow morning).

telijah
Premium
Saint Petersburg, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to rbmoving

I can tell mine got the update. The only way I know? If I chose to delete an item from my recorded list, I no longer hit A to confirm, but just scroll down and select Yes, which I LOVE since my Harmony remote doesn't have the A button in a good location for my tiny hands

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rbmoving

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Wally173

said by Wally173:

May 21st

Wally173

join:2013-05-08
Lithia, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Wally173:

May 21st

awesome, thanks!

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert

Pasco County ?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by bigdaddy:

Pasco County ?

Never because you are there ....lol

bigdaddy

1 edit

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by bigdaddy:

Pasco County ?

Never because you are there ....lol

OK But you'll have a lot of angry redneck's with gun's and they'll come a lookin for ya. LOL

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rbmoving

Sigh...okay....yours is May 21 as well.

bigdaddy

What happened to your avatar ? Did the Redneck's catch up with ya. lol

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rbmoving

Everybody keeps asking me to change it back so I did...at least for now...

bigdaddy

well it's blank that's why I asked.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rbmoving

Not anymore

rbmoving

@bhn.net
reply to BHNtechXpert

I received ODN 6 two nights ago. Last night I was 64% FULL. That was consistent with the %full had before the update with the same number of recorded shows. Tonight, with the same number of recorded shows I am now 38% full. From Last night to tonight without deleting or recoding any new shows I went from 60% to 38%. I now have about 36hrs of recorded shows on my 8742's DVR...which has a 500GB HD. I am guessing the % FULL tonight is Wrong? I had read ODN 6 was to have corrected a %FULL issue.....has it however caused my 8742 %Full to now report wrong information?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by rbmoving :

I received ODN 6 two nights ago. Last night I was 64% FULL. That was consistent with the %full had before the update with the same number of recorded shows. Tonight, with the same number of recorded shows I am now 38% full. From Last night to tonight without deleting or recoding any new shows I went from 60% to 38%. I now have about 36hrs of recorded shows on my 8742's DVR...which has a 500GB HD. I am guessing the % FULL tonight is Wrong? I had read ODN 6 was to have corrected a %FULL issue.....has it however caused my 8742 %Full to now report wrong information?

It did correct it.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~