nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Wireless IR System to support multiple rooms

I am installing a HDMI distribution system that will feed 4 rooms (over Cat5). I would like to be able to use a remote in any of those rooms to control the source device. does anyone know of an IR wireless system that can handle 4 receivers in each of the rooms to 1 transmitter? I have thought about just buying 4 wireless sets figuring they all work on the same frequency and just chuck the extra transmitters.
--
This Space for Rent...

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

What exactly is the "source device"?

Would it be possible to use a Bluetooth remote instead?

The IR wireless transmitters you're talking about most likely each have a unique code, so they only work in pairs.

However, with some creativity, you could probably tack all 4 transmitters to the same device.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to nightdesigns

You could use Logitech Harmony RF remote system with "IR mini blasters" for each device.

»www.logitech.com/en-us/product/6···rid=1052

There are also several smartphone apps which use "bluetooth to IR repeaters" but they are shorter range.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

The Harmony's all have to be paired between remote an receiver, so you would need a separate RF receiver set for the remote in each room.
But you could use their Smart Control, which puts a box at the source than can be controlled from any cell phone/tablet on the network.
»www.logitech.com/en-us/product/h···?crid=60

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to nightdesigns

Maybe something like this?
»www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?p···=FG01005

breto

join:2013-03-12
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to nightdesigns

You won't be happy with wireless based IR, I did this for two customers who's houses were not wired correctly, both complained there is too much lag after pressing a button on the remote. Also they complained the batteries don't last very long on the remotes. The unit I used was this: »www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-R···00C1Z0HA

I would suggest you distribute the IR over the HDMI link, examples...
»sewelldirect.com/IR-Injector-Kit···HDMI.asp
»www.monoprice.com/products/produ···29456199
»www.networktechinc.com/hdmi-extender.html
»www.networktechinc.com/ip-hdmi.html

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

I was vaguely familiar with CEC protocol but extending IR is an unusual but useful application.

Wireless IR extenders could use simpler protocol and non-ISM frequency (like 433Mhz or DECT) to improve performance.