join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to CXM_Splicer

MVM,

to CXM_Splicer

Re: I don't understand

Okay, I re-read it and see the point trying to be made. AT&T is pushing for deregulation on POTS so they can cherry pick where they want to maintain copper and where they can just junk it altogether. Not that they are looking to actually get rid of copper completely.

You can't blame a company for trying to figure out where they can increase their bottom line by reducing the number of money pits they are stuck in, due to regulation. Unfortunately, they are not in the business of humanitarian good will. After all, corporations, especially public ones, only exist to make a profit. Relatively speaking, they are not really making any money on POTS services.

The regulations on POTS delivery is definitely a severe boat anchor for their business. It is a big drain on their balance sheet. The only way they will ever realize the possibility to eliminate the old POTS regulations is to guarantee 100% wireless coverage where they have existing copper service and then some. It would not be fair to leverage the POTS regulations as a means to continue the availability basic broadband over copper in these areas. That is what regulations for broadband service delivery should do. The regulations should be reviewed and adjusted accordingly with respect to the marketplace. If rural broadband becomes extinct as a result, there is no one to blame but economics and the lack of broadband regulations. Companies invest in services that generate a high enough margin to satisfy their investors. Otherwise, they don't. It is nothing personal. It is simply about the cost of doing business.
steevo22
join:2002-10-17
Fullerton, CA

5 recommendations

steevo22

These telcos were paid hundreds of billions of dollars over more than 50 years to take care of that network, forced payments by us, the ratepayers. We had no option but to pay. They are monopolies, they were protected from competition all those years.

Now they'd rather not have to fool with us, but after they have been paid for all those years they can't walk away now. They were given FREE easements on all our property to run their business. I charge for that easement. If they want to go back and unwind 50 or more years of regulated payments I want to go back and bill them for those easements. And I am expensive.

They enjoyed that for 50 or more years. Now they want out of that so they can do whatever they want even if it's non competitive?

The government needs to improve the regulations on these companies. Not deregulate them. They cannot ever be deregulated. They got the money. They can just suck it up.

And ya know, fiber is cheap now. Cable companies have been able to successfully deploy fiber optics nationwide and they are not near losing money on it. So these telcos can just get the heck out there and dig.

They are still receiving payments, you know. Connect America. That USF fee on your bill, that you can do nothing about except just pay it. It goes to those same companies.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

ieolus to rolande

to rolande
Yet at the same time AT&T spends money to stifle anyone else (munis anyone?) from building out a broadband network that would compete with the one they want to get rid of.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to steevo22

to steevo22
Amen Steevo, build out FiOS and Uverse !!!!!! None of this half assed shit, they want to rid themselves of POTS, replace the old tired networks with state-of-the-art design ! FIOS is future proof !
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to steevo22

to steevo22
said by steevo22:

Now they'd rather not have to fool with us, but after they have been paid for all those years they can't walk away now. They were given FREE easements on all our property to run their business. I charge for that easement. If they want to go back and unwind 50 or more years of regulated payments I want to go back and bill them for those easements. And I am expensive.

They were paid for telephone service, at a regulated rate of return for the first 30 of those 50 years. And they fulfilled their obligation -- they provided telephone service to the people who paid them.

How do you propose the telephone companies take back the telephone service that they provided to their customers over the past 50 years? With a time machine?
said by steevo22:

They are still receiving payments, you know. Connect America. That USF fee on your bill, that you can do nothing about except just pay it. It goes to those same companies.

The purpose of Connect America is to provide broadband to rural areas (which may be DSL). The purpose of USF is to provide rural and other underserved areas with telephone service.

Neither is to provide fiber in Fullerton, California -- a city with a population of 135,000. You may pay these fees to your phone company, but that doesn't mean they've signed up to build any fiber. In this case, they're just a tax collector.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to steevo22

Premium Member

to steevo22
We paid for service and infrastructure. We received service and infrastructure. If the last mile of copper gets deregulated and ILECs bow out, then we stop paying for service and infrastructure. It's not that complicated.
said by steevo22:

And ya know, fiber is cheap now. Cable companies have been able to successfully deploy fiber optics nationwide and they are not near losing money on it.

So have telcos But if you want to talk about the last mile being converted to fiber, which has more, cable or telco?
steevo22
join:2002-10-17
Fullerton, CA

steevo22 to tanzam75

to tanzam75
said by tanzam75 See Profile
They were paid for telephone service, at a regulated rate of return for the first 30 of those 50 years. And they fulfilled their obligation -- they provided telephone service to the people who paid them.
[/BQUOTE :

How do you figure there was a time limit?