spc
uniqs
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to graysonf

to graysonf

Re: [Rant] Comcast leaves ped open....

that's nice and all, but it's annoying they can't even take a minute to put the cover back on, they had the will to take it off to do the work / tests...

it just gets more annoying when the neighbors start to complain "your covers off again" blah blah blah..... glad our area is not a HOA anymore or I'd get "fined" for what Comcast is failing to do...

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by neufuse:

glad our area is not a HOA anymore or I'd get "fined" for what Comcast is failing to do...

I doubt that... I don't think any court would uphold you being fined by your HOA because Comcast left the cover off.

AnonMan
@comcast.net

2 edits

AnonMan to neufuse

Anon

to neufuse

FWIW I have the main amp in my yard that feeds the entire area and it's always open. It had a tree growing out of it at one point. Someone kept trying to steal cable (which is funny as everything is encrypted here, even local) so all they end up doing is jacking up everyone else...

They finally cleaned the thing up and closed it but it can never be locked as the type of case it is lol the guts are new but the case is over 20 years old...

The amp itself is inside it's own case so weather won't really bother it much, but I agree is sad... e-mail the comcast we care address flying around some place. Someone in corp will call you. Heck you can even lie and say your non-existent HOA is complaining hah.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse to ropeguru

to ropeguru
you doubt something that has actually happened when we were a HOA?... there are reasons they dissolved the HOA... stupid fines like that was one of them

another being "utility marker flags left on yards to long and/or work not started immediately after marked"... aka you didn't start the next day you got fined... greedy power hungry people were in control of the HOA

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by neufuse:

you doubt something that has actually happened when we were a HOA?... there are reasons they dissolved the HOA... stupid fines like that was one of them

another being "utility marker flags left on yards to long and/or work not started immediately after marked"... aka you didn't start the next day you got fined... greedy power hungry people were in control of the HOA

And was it ever challenged or did people just pay them? I cannot see how a home owner can be held legally responsible for a cover off a piece of equipment not owned by them and said equipment is on on a legal utility easement.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

people paid them to the point people got fed up and fought back... but the point is, in the past few months Comcast has repeatedly done this.. I shouldn't have to finish their or their contractors work for them...

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by neufuse:

...in the past few months Comcast has repeatedly done this.. I shouldn't have to finish their or their contractors work for them...

Since you previously said that the CSR at 1-800-COMCAST offered to send a tech to fix it, perhaps you should have allowed that to happen? Had you done so, you might not have needed to try to put the cover back on the pedestal yourself (and it is possible that would have also been recorded as a black mark on the record of whomever left the cover off, and possibly acted as a deterrent to it happening again).

OTOH, knowing how Comcast's bean counters work, you would have probably been billed $50-100 (the amount being dependent on whether you have residential or business class service) for a customer initiated service call...
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

yes the CSR informed me there is a $29 charge for a truck roll... hence why I don't want that route... they didn't seem to care it's not a service issue, but an incomplete job issue... and knowing Comcast in my area they would of billed me for work on their equipment because of the call... they've billed me the $29 fee before when I called out a truck because of a node issue that affected the whole neighborhood once... because they wouldn't do anything to the node until more people complained about the issue... until that point it was "an internal wiring issue"...even though the issue existed at the drop and the amp both... I have dates and times the techs where out that didn't put it back on, I just don't know who to report it to... because it is to the point its annoying me this isn't a once or twice issue... every time they have someone called out for an issue they check the signals at the amp for some reason and then cover is left off... kind of think our branch of the plant isn't balanced correctly or something that causes them to constantly check the amp

heatmaybe
@50.109.30.x

heatmaybe

Anon

Could be a heat issue? Lots of sun on metal = lots of heat! Maybe taking it off helps balance things out

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium Member
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere

Bink63 to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse
Here's how it works on a Residential trouble call for Comcast...

The Tech makes customer contact, confirms the issue and THEN checks the drop FROM the tap, on in.

Not putting the cover back on the Ped is inexcusable after that portion, but starting at the tap is best practices.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum

Premium Member

said by Bink63:

Here's how it works on a Residential trouble call for Comcast...

The Tech makes customer contact, confirms the issue and THEN checks the drop FROM the tap, on in.

Not putting the cover back on the Ped is inexcusable after that portion, but starting at the tap is best practices.

when did that change?

back when I was a service tech @ comcast it was SOP to check levels at the demarc first, then go to the tap.. but then that was 6 years ago.. maybe they have a new-fangled device that can test the drop from the tap now.. *shrug*

maybe they test @ the tap first in areas where squirrel chew isn't a problem

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium Member
Everywhere

Bink63

Premium Member

It never changed.

You check signal at the tap first and then hit the demarc.

Maybe we've always had better QC in Chicagoland as a result?

My return % was always 1 to 2%.

BTW, I was the troubleshooter for my entire area.

Expand your moderator at work
obckilroy
join:2011-11-16

obckilroy to Bink63

to Bink63

Re: [Rant] Comcast leaves ped open....

It's been changed now... New process called "trace" where if the ground block levels pass no trip is made to the tap...
If you save a home cert before an ingress cert they know you didn't drink the trace kool-aid.
A standard process is great, but its hard to get away from the habit of tap->ground block->device

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

said by obckilroy:

It's been changed now... New process called "trace" where if the ground block levels pass no trip is made to the tap...
If you save a home cert before an ingress cert they know you didn't drink the trace kool-aid.
A standard process is great, but its hard to get away from the habit of tap->ground block->device

hasnt changed everywhere. and it shouldnt. too many techs dont "get" cable loss.

beerbum
Premium Member
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

1 edit

beerbum to Bink63

Premium Member

to Bink63
said by Bink63:

must have been a real small area then..
said by obckilroy:

I guess maybe new to Comcast.. when I started, in 2000, the MSO was AT&T, and the process as trained was always check ground block then go to tap. That procedure was never changed even after Comcast took over.

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium Member
Everywhere

Bink63

Premium Member

said by beerbum:

said by Bink63:

LMFAO

Ever HEAR of Chicago, Illinois?

We have these things called "Suburbs" that encompass a few thousand square miles.

Call Owen at North Star Cable Construction and get back to me.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

it just gets more annoying when the neighbors start to complain "your covers off again" blah blah blah..... glad our area is not a HOA anymore or I'd get "fined" for what Comcast is failing to do...

If you had a proper HOA, they'd be calling Comcast for you.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

Like I said multiple times now there is no longer an HOA, it was dissolved by the community that got annoyed with a small group that thought they had all the power in the world

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor to Bink63

Premium Member

to Bink63
said by Bink63:

said by beerbum:

said by Bink63:

LMFAO

Ever HEAR of Chicago, Illinois?

We have these things called "Suburbs" that encompass a few thousand square miles.

Call Owen at North Star Cable Construction and get back to me.

We have counties out here that cover that, like mine, Mendocino is 3800 Square Miles in size

beerbum
Premium Member
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

1 recommendation

beerbum

Premium Member

said by RR Conductor:

We have counties out here that cover that, like mine, Mendocino is 3800 Square Miles in size

and does your cable company have only one troubleshooter also?

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by beerbum:

said by RR Conductor:

Does your cable company have only one troubleshooter also?

It's Comcast here, and I doubt it