Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Tree obstructing DirecTV Dish

I am wondering what I would be looking at to have a tree service come out and trim a couple of branches that are growing into the line of sight of my DirecTV Dish. The dish was installed in 2008 when I went from SD to HD. It was upgraded to SWM earlier this year.

Back to the original topic as it is a home improvement issue, the tree needs to be trimmed back. It is causing reception issues on some of the transponders. I am wondering if I could use a telescoping tool or should I hire a tree service.

The house is two stories high, the dish is mounted on my side of the duplex.

Dish

--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

I can't tell from the picture for sure, but it looks like if the dish was relocated to the peak, or even to the other side of the peak, it would look past the tree. That option would certainly be much cheaper than trying to trim the tree significantly enough to solve the problem. In addition, the tree is going to continue growing and cause further problems in the future.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA

At least it's not visible from the front of the house. If I could get a telescoping tree cutter that high, I could cut it.

The house is two stories high for reference.

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr

join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC
reply to IowaCowboy

Just pull out your trusty rifle. How good a shot are ya?

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Call a tree service or two and get some quotes. It's not like you have to hire them. The guy I use does trimming for $150 a tree. He'll take specific branches if I ask him but I usually just set him lose and let him do what he knows.

It's worth the money not to have to drag out a ladder or get on the roof or risk life and limb. Then, if I survive i have to cut it up and get rid of it. He comes while I'm at work with a crew and a chipper, knocks it out in probably an hour and that's it.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

My neighbor had a similar problem. Direct TV in this case, installed another antenna in a location that was not obstructed. They moved the LNA's to the new antenna. They did not remove the old antenna so as to not cause a roof leak by removing the lag screws holding it.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
reply to IowaCowboy

It must be tough sweeping the snow off of the dish. Do you have a dish heater?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to IowaCowboy

Hard to tell from the picture how big those branches are, but a typical telescoping shear will be good for limbs up to about 1/2" at the most.

PS: Being from up north I'm used to seeing dishes pointing just above the horizon. It looks so strange to see a dish pointing up toward the sky. Imagine the sorts of line-of-sight problems we have with our dishes having to be aimed so low!

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
reply to IowaCowboy

Move the dish, butchering a tree needlessly that is not yours isn't wise

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by guppy_fish:

Move the dish, butchering a tree needlessly that is not yours isn't wise

Maybe I should get the landlord to do maintenance on the tree. It's full of dead branches from the October snowstorm. Not to mention the lopsided tree that had one side of it shaved off when another tree toppled during a Tornado Warning (although it was a microburst).

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to IowaCowboy

Call DirecTV and have them come out to re-aim the dish. Show the technician the problem and he should move the dish for you. Just half-way up the roof will make it difficult to see from the street, but will eliminate your problem. Even if you have to pay $49 for a service call, it's cheaper and safer than trying to trim the tree.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to IowaCowboy

Having the landlord take care of the tree trimming is a very good idea, even if you have the dish moved. If it helps, remind them of the potential for damage to the house from falling dead branches, and the liability issues if someone got hurt by one.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to billaustin

Um no this is called a dish relocation, and it costs more then a service call. We will advise you to trim the branches, and its your job to maintain your trees to not interferer.

There is a reason we have to have a 10-20 degree buffer on each side. in 5 years the buffer was eliminated and the tech did his job right.

Plus do you really want a tree branch hanging that much over the roof? Between the leaves in the gutters and if a branch snaps off from ice or a storm. You better off in the long run having a tree service clean up that tree.

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
reply to IowaCowboy

It's kind of hard to see how the dish is aimed, but it looks to be pointed a bit high. The line of site to the satellite can't be higher than 45 degrees above the horizontal, and is probably less.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to OSUGoose

The trees do need attention, but that is an issue that has to be brought up with the landlord as he is not the property owner.

DirecTV has never charged me for moving or installing dishes, or running the additional cable needed when they were moved.

I should note that I have been a DirecTV customer for over 10 years, and have many receivers on my account.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to harald

said by harald:

It's kind of hard to see how the dish is aimed, but it looks to be pointed a bit high. The line of site to the satellite can't be higher than 45 degrees above the horizontal, and is probably less.

If the dish was not aimed properly OP would not be getting a signal at all. There is little tolerance with the new multi satellite dishes for mis alignment.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to harald

said by harald:

In MA the 101 satellite is about 32 degrees elevation, which is the highest elevation in the Eastern US. THis looks like a SL5 LNB so it has 119 which is lower on the horizon.

However this is an offset dish so the dish appears to be pointing higher than it actually is.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to IowaCowboy

Could you post a picture from another angle? This image leaves a lot of questions.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

You have tree limbs obstructing your satellite reception. No need for a new bunch of pictures. You have two courses of action. Cut the limbs back or move the dish to a location that is not obstructed. Your need is to correct your reception issues.

Why don't you call Directv and ask them what the charge is to move the dish? I bet it will be less expensive than hiring someone to trim the tree limbs.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to IowaCowboy

Duplicate post

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to IowaCowboy

Until you posted that middle picture (away from house, right at corner), I wasn't sure how those branches were blocking the signal.

Problem with moving the dish is in general, they won't install it "above" living space. Notice where the dish is now ? It's above the eave. Straight down isn't any living space (although in reality, any water could end up inside). You have no overhang on that side going up towards the peak.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by Hall:

Until you posted that middle picture (away from house, right at corner), I wasn't sure how those branches were blocking the signal.

Problem with moving the dish is in general, they won't install it "above" living space. Notice where the dish is now ? It's above the eave. Straight down isn't any living space (although in reality, any water could end up inside). You have no overhang on that side going up towards the peak.

That statement is incorrect. Directv will in fact install it anywhere on a roof where they can obtain an unobstructed signal. I have 2 installations near me with the dish on the roof ridge of the houses.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to IowaCowboy

Yeah, those new pictures help. If it were me, I'd climb a ladder and use some sheers to clip that one branch coming over the 2 o'clock position (looking from behind the dish) and call it a day.

Actually, if it were me, I'd have the dish on the ground in front of the house. I hate roof installations.

I'd at least start with the landlord and go from there. He may not even know the tree is encroaching on the roof line.

And technically, he should have to give permission for DirecTV to move that antenna since it is attached directly to his building.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to IowaCowboy

The new pictures show the situation better. If you could pull that window AC out temporarily, you could reach out the window with one of these. »www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-14-f···00153111

Maybe the landlord would assist, or you may have a friend who already has a tree trimming pole.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to billaustin

Is the move part of a upgrade? Or did you call in to request a relocation.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Jack_in_VA

Dirctv and dish will both install over living spaces I have a old dishtv dish that is over my bed left for from the old people that lived there.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by chip89:

Dirctv and dish will both install over living spaces I have a old dishtv dish that is over my bed left for from the old people that lived there.

I know Directv will. Not sure about Dish.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to chip89

said by chip89:

My installer a few years ago coated the lag bolts with silicone sealant (although I would have used roofing tar if I was installing it myself).

The Shadow
Premium
join:2013-04-18
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to IowaCowboy

Your asking about one specific problem with your tree--satellite signal interference. Posters have responded with a variety of suggestions on resolving the issues. Naturally you can choose what you think is best of those ideas offered.

However, in general an improperly maintained large and older tree can cause you a variety of problems over time.

It's all ways best to aggressively but skillfully or professionally have large trees properly trimmed. Doing so will save a long time resident a lot of grief in a variety of areas over time.

Keep in mind the "ugly" look immediately after aggressive trimming is just a temporary thing. The tree will fully "recover" it's naturally good looking self over time.