share rss forum feed

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2

F@H Gaming Consoles

We all know F@H ended on the PS3. As my PS3 was my ONLY folder, and it ended. I sold the PS3. (Hey, get some cash while I can!) ----
Curious, is F@H on any other gaming system? Ie: Wii, X-Box.
Any plans for it if it isn't currently?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

I spent some time Googling about this. Apparently, the only gaming console that ever supported F@H, was the PS3. Which, as we all know. It stopped supporting.
I am not at all comfortable running F@H on my desktop. I would like a dedicated F@H, which my PS3 was.
Would anyone please recommend to me an option that 1) Won't kill my electric bill. 2) Quiet. 3) Reasonable cost. And 4) Little maintenance. Much like the PS3 *WAS*

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Shaw

I'm curious as to why you don't want to run F@H on your desktop. I find that it rarely, if ever, interferes with what I'm doing ...it runs whenever I'm on the computer anyway .... on the machine that's only on 6 or 7 hours a day it doesn't knock off all that many 'wus', but they get added in with all the others ....
--
Jamais le mal n’aura le dernier mot. La foi et l’amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.
- Marguerite (Maggy) Barankitse

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia
kudos:1
reply to Dominokat

As mentioned, every work unit counts. So even a few hours a day may get a WU or two done and keep electricity costs manageable.

You could probably acquire an affordable pc to dedicate to folding, but I don't find that folding intrudes on my normal pc usage. If I need to use full CPU or GPU power I just slide the web control to "light" or use the "pause" button in advanced settings. Otherwise boxen fold 24/7 (with timeout for dusting, maintenance, etc.)

But what is a reasonable cost for a folding box?
Could you build your own or would you like a system off the shelf?
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by mr sean:

But what is a reasonable cost for a folding box?
Could you build your own or would you like a system off the shelf?

Cost- A few hundred dollars
Build- It has been a decade since I built my own, but I could probably do it again.
Off the shelf- Would be easier!

Folding on my computer desktop is just not something I am comfortable doing. Its an iMac, and I know it is able to fold just fine. It isn't a computer thing, it is just something I am not comfortable doing with an enclosed all-in-one type of computer like an iMac. As it is, the dust flies when the fans rev on a hard job once in a while and folding is hard all the time. If this were a good vented PC tower I probably wouldn't feel so skittish.

It is just a personal preference thing. Sorry.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

No need to apologize, personal preferences are just that...personal preferences.

Hmmm...is there by chance any spare parts hiding in the house? An old hard drive or computer case? Anything that might be re-tasked to lower cost?
--

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

I have HDs, and an ATX case, with MB and other guts. It is old, and I don't have it in front of me to see, but I do know that regardless. Guts will need to be replaced for better and faster parts.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

Hey that's a start!
So if you wanted to build, you got a case, HD, maybe PSU (if its rated for build).

If you want off the shelf, well some of the outlet stores online might work:
Dell - »www.dell.com/Learn/us/en/22/camp···direct=1
New egg - »www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···op%20PCs

Just two examples for browsing. If you filter your search for the Intel Ivy Bridge i3 and i5 you will not only find a good balance between price and performance you will also get a processor that uses less power at full load...and fah is a full load.

Also, since there is a short time before Intel offers a new release, it's likely that some deals, including CPU + Motherboard, may pop up for a new build.
I've had pretty fair luck using newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon, and MicroCenter online during the past year.

I'm sure there are many here in the folding and hardware forums that can offer even better guidance, but I'd be happy to add to the confusion :-D
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Dominokat

Domino, also be concerned about the power use of less efficient SMPS units (the power supply in your computer). After market SMPS units now have efficiency ratings (how much electricity is not used to produce usable voltage/current, but ends up as heat and waste, if you will).

Check this out, for instance:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

It's one good reason to build your own system these days, less electricity wasted just having the system on.

The console isn't necessarily as efficient as you might think, also, it is likely that some people's computers are more efficient than your PS3, some less so.

Also, the latest CPUs and GPUs and RAM and motherboard chipsets are all much more efficient electrically. The PS3 was designed long ago, we are already nearly at the 4th generation of Core i processors with Haswell coming from Intel. More power, yes, but more efficiency too. And the latest graphics cards are in most cases also more efficient, and the chipset ICs and other ICs on your motherboards are more efficient too, to some degree. And RAM, high speed DDR3 runs at a lower voltage and less current, and DDR4 will be even more so.

It's all relative, no, really, it is. I'd have already upgraded from my old Phenom II here were I able to, to a 3rd gen Intel Core i processor. You can research this, read up on efficiencies and it might shock you.

Most folder people have folded and/or crunched for the better part of a decade with no damage to parts, but of course, if you are concerned about that, the current iteration of folding app can be adjusted as to how much it loads down a processor, and that is a good thing.

If you want to consider building your own, Pete, I, and others can help you, of course, and our hardware forum here at DSLR is exceptional with helping people. Over recent years I've opted to ask more questions than make more statements in that forum since it is so well populated with brilliant minds. Seriously.

So consider building a system!
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat

I am very very appreciative of everyones input.
I am not yet leaning toward anything (hardware) at this point. I wanted, and got your ideas about this topic.

I'll figure out what is most economical for me and work from there. What ever the case, I just want to continue "folding" in whatever form my hardware takes.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Dominokat

D.K., I am not unlike you. I have a couple notebooks, but am not particularly keen on folding on them, as when I have they do get pretty toasty.

I have a pretty mild "econo-box" desktop that I run FAH from, and though by no means a huge cruncher, it is cheap...cheap to run...and if worst comes to worst, expendable.

I would like to be a larger contributor, but I too have to work with what is within my means.

Even with one modest cruncher, the numbers add up and the contributions are there.

For example, while no means a beast, this will crunch just fine for $170: »www.staples.com/HP-DC7700-160GB-···t_156269
--
Deeds, not words