All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MikeJrod
join:2001-03-14
Milwaukee, WI

MikeJrod

Using a sound card with a graphics card?

I have a Dell GX620. I put in a NVIDIA Geoforce 210. I have this hooked up to a Sony reciver via hdmi. With the integrated sound, I've never been able to get surround through the reciever (which can do up to 7.1). I was hoping I could just disable the old and put in a Creative Audigy SE sound card and that would process the sound through the graphics card so the hdmi would carry the surround. I'm guessing that it is more involved than this since it isn't working. Is there a way to have the sound card do the sound and then have the graphics card send it through the hdmi?
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

I'm not sure this PC is going to do what you want but I can't say it for sure. This PC is so old I couldn't find any specs. for it on DELL's web site. Somebody else may come along and can maybe be more specific.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to MikeJrod

Premium Member

to MikeJrod
Click for full size
HDMI sound output on Win8
That card is new enough to where it has its own audio processing circuitry and doesn't need a separate sound card (more info here). If you have the HDMI audio driver installed (if you've installed a recent Nvidia driver with default settings, then it should be ready to go), all you should have to do is set the HDMI audio output to the default in either whatever software you're trying to use, or globally via the operating system's sound properties.

What OS is that computer running?

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to MikeJrod

Premium Member

to MikeJrod
What the OP is trying to do is play sound from the Creative card through the HDMI on the video card. This isn't going to work.

In this case the OP has to choose either to use the Creative card with it's own separate output or use the audio in the Nvidia card.

MikeJrod
Milwaukee, WI

MikeJrod

I'm running Windows 7 Pro. The system recognizes the Sony receiver, but it doesn't play surround. If I put the same HD files on a usb and play on my bluray player, the surround is there. The receiver has as digital coax input; can I just hook up to that and turn off the sound from the graphics card? I read elsewhere that I could use a htpc cable/3.5mm digital coax cable?

Cthen
Premium Member
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

Mine is ATI and not connected but this is where you want to look.

Possible cable you will need.

Let me back up a step or two on something I forgot to mention (oopps!)

Under the sound properties, when you highlight the audio for the sound on the video card, are you able to click the "Configure" button? If so check there to see if you can set it for multiple speakers rather than just Stereo (it will need to be connected and running to work). If not then it is probably not surround capable but it would be odd to me that HD audio isn't surround capable. Another possibility is the video cards audio is only seeing the 2 speakers in the tv and not the speakers on the receiver. It could see the receiver still but only detecting the tv speakers.

To get 7.1 surround for sure out of the Audigy se you will need an audio cable that will use 3 of the 4 outputs on that particular card (something along the line of the one pictured up top). Using only the one main output is hit or miss with some receivers if full actual surround sound will work. If you go this route be sure to also check the configuration of this cards properties too making sure it is set for multiple speakers and not just stereo with either cable you use.

The coax cable may work as well but again, it could be hit or miss if it will work on that particular card with the receiver.

MikeJrod
Milwaukee, WI

MikeJrod

One of these days I'll start with the simplest solution. After messing with a number of cords, I got the brilliant idea to update the software on the receiver. And of course, now all the speakers are seen and configurable. Problem solved without using the sound card.

Cthen
Premium Member
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

said by MikeJrod:

One of these days I'll start with the simplest solution. After messing with a number of cords, I got the brilliant idea to update the software on the receiver. And of course, now all the speakers are seen and configurable. Problem solved without using the sound card.

Was thinking of that next after checking the pc!

Good stuff!