spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rmroadee
join:2002-09-01
Salem, OR

rmroadee

[Qwest] Signal Stats

Been having some random issues with my service. Been fine for over a year and now all of a sudden getting brief disconnects.

I replaced the home run line (cat5e) with a new drop (cat5e), not seeing any service drops, but seeing a lot of Near End FEC errors.

Here are my current stats:

Channel Status Channel Type:

N/A

Near End CRC Errors: 16722
Far End CRC: 12
30 Minute Near End CRC: 43
30 Minute Far End CRC: 0
Near End RS FEC: 1588637
Far End RS FEC: 1090
30 Minute Near End FEC: 25490
30 Minute Far End FEC: 217

Levels Downstream Upstream
SNR 5.6 dB 8.4 dB
Attenuation 16.1 dB 9.3 dB
Power 17.0 dBm 8.9 dBm

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

SNR 5.6 dB, Attenuation 16.1 dB ... last time I saw that combination it was a problem with the premises wiring. At an AT&T customer premises.
rmroadee
Salem, OR

rmroadee

Changed out the line, could it be a bad jack, currently have a combo rj11/45 keystone.

Thank You.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Could be. I once had a fairly loose fitting keystone, brand new, out of the box, and bad.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to rmroadee

MVM

to rmroadee
With Attenuation numbers as low as they are, your SNR numbers should be much higher. Since you are getting brief disconnects, I would inspect all the jacks and filters. Check your stats at the NID test jack and compare them to what you get at the modem jack.
rmroadee
Salem, OR

rmroadee

said by billaustin:

With Attenuation numbers as low as they are, your SNR numbers should be much higher. Since you are getting brief disconnects, I would inspect all the jacks and filters. Check your stats at the NID test jack and compare them to what you get at the modem jack.

If I remember correctly the SNR was barely above what it is now. I will get the modem to the test jack again and get the numbers tonight..

Thank You,
rmroadee

rmroadee

said by rmroadee:

said by billaustin:

If I remember correctly the SNR was barely above what it is now. I will get the modem to the test jack again and get the numbers tonight..

Thank You,

Current Levels at test jack:
SNR 6.4 dB 6.6 dB
Attenuation 16.2 dB 7.9 dB
Power 17.0 dBm 7.3 dBm

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

I would contact support and request a line check. It might be quicker to send an email to: talktous@centurylink.com

Give them the stats from the test jack and let them know that you are having disconnects. I would guess a bridge tap somewhere upstream, or a bad port at the DSLAM.
rmroadee
Salem, OR

rmroadee

said by billaustin:

I would contact support and request a line check. It might be quicker to send an email to: talktous@centurylink.com

Give them the stats from the test jack and let them know that you are having disconnects. I would guess a bridge tap somewhere upstream, or a bad port at the DSLAM.

Our line had been solid for the last year, until recently when the neighbor got service installed and our line went down a couple times while the tech was working at the phone box in our back yard.

Would that have made any changes to our line at that time, I wonder.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Be sure to include that information when you contact them. Hopefully, the next tech will be able to spot the problem and fix it.
rmroadee
Salem, OR

rmroadee

New stats after tech came out and fixed bad line in junction box in yard.

Channel Status
Channel Type: N/A
Near End CRC Errors: 0
Far End CRC: 0
30 Minute Near End CRC: 0
30 Minute Far End CRC: 0
Near End RS FEC: 160608
Far End RS FEC: 0
30 Minute Near End FEC: 15864
30 Minute Far End FEC: 0

SNR 10.2 dB 18.0 dB
Attenuation 12.5 dB 6.1 dB
Power 17.0 dBm 8.8 dBm

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Those numbers are much better, but I think the downstream SNR should be much higher. Are those at the modem jack, or the test jack at the NID? What modem are you using, and what speed package are you on?
rmroadee
Salem, OR

rmroadee

Those numbers are from the modem from the jack in the house.. The modem is a Q1000z and package is 40/5.

SNR has gone down again on the modem to 6.6 on the downstream.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Do you have phones connected, or are you just using internet? I would check at the test jack and see what the numbers are. It's still very possible you have issues with your house wiring, or a filter that needs replaced.
rmroadee
Salem, OR

rmroadee

Strictly Internet, new cat5e home run, new wall jack. Will check levels again at the jack tomorrow and repost levels.
rmroadee

rmroadee

Jack signal values:

SNR 10.5 dB 18.5 dB
Attenuation 12.4 dB 5.9 dB
Power 17.0 dBm 8.4 dBm

From inside jack:

SNR 10.6 dB 18.1 dB
Attenuation 12.5 dB 6.0 dB
Power 17.0 dBm 8.6 dBm

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

That's probably as good as it's going to get. Hopefully, it's stable now.