how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1

Exede-5 vs Hughes SPACEWAY 3

For those not living under ViaSat-1 or Gen-4 beams, there are/were two options....Exede-5 vs Hughes SPACEWAY 3.

After reading several posts over at Wildblue World, which suggests Exede is the best option going, if available, I wonder if those who blow their horn that way are fully informed.

In general, for Exede-5, posts over there tend to suggest it works OK in daytime, but there are still primetime slowdowns in at least several beams. And since Exede bumped up Wildblue legacy users's speeds, both now may have similar experiences on more loaded beams....OK in day hours, and slow at night.

How about those SPACEWAY 3 users in locations where VS-1 and Gen-4 don't shine...happy or tolerant customers?

Spaceway 3 - »www.hughes.com/productsandtechno···way.aspx

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

2 edits
I am on Spaceway 3 and have been with Hughes/Direcway for 11 years, and Spaceway has gone down the tubes since they rolled out the Spaceway/Gen4 connect pro plan of 5/1. I have just gotten an AT&T laptop connect with a 5GB a month cap which is plenty for my use for $50.00 a month and even if I go over lets say 3GB than thats what I would be paying for Hughes.

All said and done my AT&T is on 4G and I am getting lightning fast speeds and can not complain.

My wife is a truck driver (owner op) and has one for her truck and uses it all over the west coast with no problems. So after 11 years with Hughes I am ready to call and cancel and be happy.

FYI, I live 26 miles north of Reno Nevada and Verizon only has 3G and is no comparison.

DrStrangLov

said by sharkyyoung:

...Hughes/Direcway for 11 years, and Spaceway has gone down the tubes

Apparently, they did not upgrade their network infrastructure...or they have screwed the pooch somewhere.

my AT&T is on 4G and I am getting lightning fast speeds ....I live 26 miles north of Reno Nevada

Good to hear there is a faster service, but AT&T is some $80 for 8 Gigabytes.

Apparently, Exede is not in your area, but Wildblue is there with a nice package deal of 17-Gbytes down, and 5-Gbytes up at $49.99.

Since that beam is not closed, I suspect one could expect 3 Mbps down and 256 Kbps up....but, I'd ask around.

Thanks

sharkyyoung
Premium
Reno, NV

2 edits
Honestly I have had it with satellite internet, if I need to do any big downloads I have other means, I really don't care about streaming movies or gaming so this is perfect for me, as far as Wildblue goes in my area they only offer the same as Hughes with a supposed 5Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.

Maybe you had a typo on the Gbytes down & up also I'm paying $80.00 for Hughes now.

And you are correct that Hughes does not have the ground infastructure set to handle their new system.

DrStrangLov

Click for full size
said by sharkyyoung:

Maybe you had a typo on the Gbytes down & up

I used this site:

»www.exede.com/internet-packages-···ip=89506

wm4bama

join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL
reply to sharkyyoung
Shark, I think you're talking about speed, DR is talking about d/l and u/l Fap allowances on the Legacy plan..

If you can get Exede-5 then that's different than the Legacy plan DR was referencing.
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to DrStrangLov
$49.99 / month for 2 years for Pro Pack plus the monthly lease for equipment, installation, activation fee, service commitment? Deceptive advertising, DrSL.

sharkyyoung
Premium
Reno, NV

1 edit
reply to wm4bama
said by wm4bama:

Shark, I think you're talking about speed, DR is talking about d/l and u/l Fap allowances on the Legacy plan..

If you can get Exede-5 then that's different than the Legacy plan DR was referencing.

wm4bama
Thanks I now see that. But with my new AT&T my download speeds are 4-6MB consistantly with a super low ping.

DrStrangLov

said by sharkyyoung:

AT&T my download speeds are 4-6MB consistantly with a super low ping.

4 megabytes per second (MBps) equals 32 megabits per second (Mbps)

6 megabytes per second equals 48 megabits per second

said by Spice300:

Deceptive advertising...installation, activation fee, service commitment?

Free standard install, free account setup...

Equipment lease, $5.95/month...I think that fee is common to both Hughes and Exede/Wildblue.

»www.exede.com/internet-packages-···ip=89506

sharkyyoung
Premium
Reno, NV
DrStrangLov

I understand what the equivilent is as my connection will go up to 65 Mbps.

DrStrangLov

said by sharkyyoung:

my connection will go up to 65 Mbps.

One maybe seeing "buffer dump" speed, or "proxy finger" speed.

Lightning-fast data speeds and expanding coverage: A 4G LTE PERFORMANCE REVIEW

Scientific Review
A Close Examination of Performance and Power Characteristics of 4G LTE Networks

sharkyyoung
Premium
Reno, NV
DrStranglov

Thanks for the articals and the funny part is that I'm just on 4G not LTE yet, they just up-graded my area and I know there aren't many people around me on the tower. I get a steady 5 bars on my connection and I will just hope for the best, if I want more BW all I need to do is get a smart phone and have data share plan but than again for 50GB a month it would run around $300.00 and that my freind is totally a rip off. Have a nice weekend.