Creer
IT Security enthusiast
join:2008-08-23
PL

Creer

Microsoft: Users Don't Even Care About Privacy

MS research
quote:
As part of the launch of the Your Privacy Type quiz, we surveyed 4,000 consumers in the U.K., France, U.S. and Germany (1,000 in each market) to gain a quantitative perspective of how they felt about privacy issues (using the same questions as our quiz online). We looked at the privacy behaviors and “privacy type” for each market and found some interesting results.

Eighty-four percent of those polled expressed concern about their online privacy. That particular finding was not surprising by itself, but interesting when compared to only 47 percent of the respondents who were actively taking measures to protect their privacy online. There’s a wide gap between interest and action.

The research also demonstrated interesting regional nuances as illustrated in the infographic below. As a lawyer and a “Privacy Please” type myself, it was encouraging to see that most consumers value privacy, with an average of almost 40 percent falling into the same category as I do. The number of “Carefree Surfers”, who are highly active online and are not worried about sharing information, is slightly higher in the U.S. and the U.K., but still very comparable to other markets surveyed.
More reading:
»blogs.technet.com/b/micr ··· gap.aspx
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Hmpf. Don't pay any attention to Microsoft on privacy. Microsoft recently invited me via email, as a current Windows Panel member, to become a member of the Windows Feedback Program for Windows 8.

To my shock, I would have to agree to allow Microsoft to capture EVERY MOUSE CLICK I make and a ton of other snooping actions HIGHLY INVASIVE of my privacy. I was part of this same program in 2006-2007 (like a bunch of us here were- we had a big thread on it here) and the program did not invade my privacy in drastic ways but now the Windows Feedback Program is unbelievably invasive. I declined and I had wanted to do it to give feedback on Win 8.

I cannot imagine anyone agreeing to be a member of the Windows Feedback Program with such a high level of privacy invasion (Microsoft says they would be capturing ALL BANKING ACTIVITY ALSO if you agreed to participate in the feedback program. That's insane).

So, I will not put any credence into Microsoft Privacy Type quiz or anything else to do with Microsoft and privacy.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to Creer

Premium Member

to Creer
I'm sorry, but that just reads like another Microsoft ad.

I believe enough in privacy not to share with Microsoft, for starters.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I think you're all getting huffy because it says "Microsoft".

And yet you'd probably believe a survey that says that some huge percentage of people would reveal their password to a guy in the street in exchange for a free chocolate bar.

It's the *same result*. People say they're concerned but they don't behave in a manner consistent with that concern. Here in this forum, we mostly take that as a true observation of the world.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

2 edits

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by dave:

Here in this forum, we mostly take that as a true observation of the world.

+1

PS: I think this is true in general not just in regards to internet privacy.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

reveal their password to a guy in the street in exchange for a free chocolate bar.

password1234, now where is my chocolate?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

You didn't read the EULA properly: I said "guy in the street", not "guy sitting in his cubicle".
Velnias
join:2004-07-06

Velnias to Creer

to Creer
Aah, preventive PR stunts.

Wait few days - something coming about Skype and no privacy...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
The Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks service depends on the Microsoft Exchange
System Attendant service which failed to start because of the following
error:

The operation completed successfully.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
»go.microsoft.com/fwlink/ ··· ents.asp.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Mele20

to Mele20

What was the link to that quiz Mele???

I wanna see if i can get around thier intrusiveness!! (Capturing every mouse click)

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

Possibly, »wfp.microsoft.com/faq.aspx.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Creer

Premium Member

to Creer

Re: Microsoft: Users Don't Even Care About Privacy

I think there was one floating around, and it focused on people's social networking use. Even after you told it you don't use any social networking it still asked you social networking questions.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to Creer

Premium Member

to Creer
what does it mean to "actively take measures to protect one's privacy"? no one knows.. that is why people answered "no" to that question, because they have no idea what MS has in mind by "actively protecting one's privacy".. at least, that was my thinking.. maybe the question should have been "do you try to protect your privacy, online?".. i think everyone would answer yes..

another problem was the question(s) about "do you share a little information, or a lot of information, on social media?".. MS makes the assumption that everyone shares information on social media.. they don't give you the option to answer "i don't share any information, on social media", but only to answer "i share a little information, on social media", or "i share a lot of information, on social media".. and how is "social media" defined, unless they mean "facebook", which is what i assume..

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
Philippines

1 recommendation

chrisretusn to dave

Premium Member

to dave
I'm NOT in a cubicle. How do you know I'm not in the street?

Where is my chocolate? LOL

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

No soup chocolate for you!

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
Philippines

chrisretusn

Premium Member

Rats!
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay

Merci Beaucoup my friend

DevilFrank
join:2003-07-13

1 edit

DevilFrank to Creer

to Creer

Microsoft and Privacy? LOL that makes my day.
l
quote:
Anyone who uses Skype has consented to the company reading everything they write. The H's associates in Germany at heise Security have now discovered that the Microsoft subsidiary does in fact make use of this privilege in practice. Shortly after sending HTTPS URLs over the instant messaging service, those URLs receive an unannounced visit from Microsoft HQ in Redmond.
»www.h-online.com/securit ··· 870.html
Edit: Link edit

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by DevilFrank:

Microsoft and Privacy? LOL that makes my day.
l

quote:
Anyone who uses Skype has consented to the company reading everything they write. The H's associates in Germany at heise Security have now discovered that the Microsoft subsidiary does in fact make use of this privilege in practice. Shortly after sending HTTPS URLs over the instant messaging service, those URLs receive an unannounced visit from Microsoft HQ in Redmond.
»www.h-online.com/securit ··· 2870.htm

Link doesn't work for me:

404 - File not found

Unfortunately, the web page you are looking for is not on this server.

Please check:

whether the URL is spelled correctly (including capitalisation),
your bookmark,
the web site you came from.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That link doesn't work for me either but I found the article and it is chilling. The last part says this:

"Back in January, civil rights groups sent an open letter to Microsoft questioning the security of Skype communication since the takeover. The groups behind the letter, which included the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Reporters without Borders expressed concern that the restructuring resulting from the takeover meant that Skype would have to comply with US laws on eavesdropping and would therefore have to permit government agencies and secret services to access Skype communications.

In summary, The H and heise Security believe that, having consented to Microsoft using all data transmitted over the service pretty much however it likes, all Skype users should assume that this will actually happen and that the company is not going to reveal what exactly it gets up to with this data."

Damning of our nation and our total lack of privacy now.

Here's the correct link:

EDIT: I checked the link after posting this comment. It works correctly for me. Let me know if it doesn't for the rest of you.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to Creer

Premium Member

to Creer
To the Op,

The "Window Frames with the Blinds" graphic certainly look to my minds eye, like guillotine blades. Co-inky-dink? Yeah I realize my imagination might be a little over active... but hey!
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to Mele20

to Mele20

Yes thank you Mele,it is .HTML not .HTM (I was gonna post it if you didnt)

DevilFrank
join:2003-07-13

DevilFrank to Mele20

to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Here's the correct link:

EDIT: I checked the link after posting this comment. It works correctly for me. Let me know if it doesn't for the rest of you.

Thx Mele

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

It's the *same result*. People say they're concerned but they don't behave in a manner consistent with that concern. Here in this forum, we mostly take that as a true observation of the world.

Very true. It seems that people in this forum think that the rest of the world acts/operates the same as they do when that is so far from the truth.

I would have to agree with Microsoft on this one. Most of this country really does not care. Just like with anything else important out there, if it's a problem, they want someone to take care of it for them. Then if someone does take care of it for them, they want to bitch about that too!
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That's the definition of addiction. (They have to have their "fix" NOW and if anything interferes with them getting it they will do anything to get their fix).

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Creer

MVM

to Creer
Do these guys know how Skype works, I think not, but perhaps they should start with 'peer to peer' and go from there.

No as to how many people really care about security, not many unfortunately.

Blake

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan
Asus RT-AC3100
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

redxii to Creer

Mod

to Creer
Not that I don't care but short of living in a cave you just gotta bend over and take it. That's the only active measure.

You can choose what to tell other people on your account. I have an FB account but I am never telling anyone what I'm doing or where I am, it only has people I actually know (family, friends). However the privacy settings don't prevent Facebook themselves from selling my information. I can also choose not to drive (yeah right!) so the DMV doesn't sell my information, as evident by 'extended warranties' and dealership junk mail. Or stuff my money under a mattress. etc. The government isn't going to make it illegal, they want that info too.