join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

1 recommendation

First the IRS Debacle, and Now This?

What country am I living in?

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
I have yet to read any news where phone or internet logs have been used for good.

So far I've only seen where this type of power is being used for evil.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Hazy Arc
First the IRS debacle?

More like 203rd the IRS debacle and now this.
--
Nocchi rules.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21

1 recommendation

reply to Hazy Arc
How many gross violations of the Constitution would it take for people to rise up against an unjust government?

5?

10?

1000?
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

Ghoul

join:2001-02-04
Mastic Beach, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Hazy Arc
The media is using the "exapansion" technique to dilute the seriousness of this.

The real issue isn't how an agency controlled by the White House is being used as a weapon to attack groups that disagree with the government, but how "non-profit" groups are defined.

See, according to the MSM it's not a terrible, evil thing, but an "opportunity" to reform the regulations governing non-profit.

M35

@wideopenwest.com
reply to Hazy Arc
One with laws called FISA/PATRIOT act. Oops, better watch what I am saying! The AP didn't think their are being snooped upon with these laws?

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Cabal
It'll take the loss of free or subsidized TV combined with the cancellation of Jeopardy and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

The AP is feeling a lot of butthurt because they're afraid Obama might not consider them "special." They'll be cozying up again before too long.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to Cabal
said by Cabal:

How many gross violations of the Constitution would it take for people to rise up against an unjust government?

It probably won't happen during either of our lifetimes.

Today, we Americans are too apathetic, or respond with a never-ending list of excuses as reasons for why we "can't" (there are a common 10-20 reasons often given). But even if we could overcome that fact, there's this reality: small dissenting marches/riots (say, under a thousand people) don't matter any more -- we're too physically large a country for such things to make a difference, and the method/approach is often done in such a way where after the event everyone is back-patting and thinking they "did their part" without being able to admit that chances are it will have absolutely zero impact in the grand scheme of things. For example, ask any Aussie or Kiwi about the United States, and eventually they'll say "you're just too [physically] big a country to change", and they're right.

What we cannot come to grasps with is the root cause (in some way or another): money. Capitalist/commercial cynosure, combined with exorbitant self-focus (vs. thinking about "the group" -- an idea/thought that proliferates heavily throughout Asia), will be our demise. Combine these with an unhealthy fixation on extroverted personality and you have an extremely volatile (read: dangerous) situation. We have no one to blame but ourselves for the proliferation of all these problems: the rest of the world has sat by and watched (and suffered as well, since we have our grubby fingers in way too many international pies).

All said, we could learn a lot from the French, quite honestly (and note the irony, bordering on karmatic: Americans dumping French wine WRT the Iraq situation...). But true reformation begins in the mind, and begins at home.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

meeeeeeeeee

join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

What country am I living in?

You'll be pleased to know that the Justice Department announced that they are going to investigate the IRS for any wrong doing. Afterwards, maybe the IRS can investigate the Justice department for the AP thing and then they can go back to playing patty-cake together and stomping on our rights some more.
--
"when the people have suffered many abuses under the control of a totalitarian leader, they not only have the right but the duty to overthrow that government." - The U.S. Declaration of Independence

disconnected

@108.210.131.x
reply to Cabal
said by Cabal:

5?

10?

1000?

Well there is Adam Kokesh's armed march on Washington DC this July 4th. He's being laughed at by a lot of people, but I'll admit he's got more balls than 99% of the 'keyboard warriors' out there.

Binderdondat

join:2012-04-04
Johnstown, PA
reply to koitsu
How can you say it any better than this respondent?

We can choose to become part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Unfortunately, this will not happen until a major, life altering societal event occurs.

History has proven this true - many times.