uniqs
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

[Rant] Cell phone companies / websites

Just trying to shop for a new carrier / plan. Myself (1 smartphone) and parents (they're on my plan, and use basic phones). When did it become such a mess?

Can't navigate Verizon's site to browse for phone + plan with any ease. Select phone, oh wait, I forgot you wanted to select that phone after I ask for your zip code.. Select two basic phones to start with, add to cart ...what cart? Here's some other sub-site full of dysfunctional shit. Can't price anything out without signing up? What the fucking fuck is that? Who lets this stuff pass as "ready to launch?"

Sprint - looks like a total mess there too. Discount this, discount that, everything is bright fucking yellow and reminds me of some bad "Always Save" land of misery, add everything up, you're still hosed.
U.S. Cellular (my current carrier) - you never need a contract again, oh, yes, fuck you ... actually, you do. Oh, and good luck with 4G LTE roaming, probably not happening, and you're only allowed 300MB of data on other towers, so what's the point of sticking with them if I upgrade? I've been with them for years, and they barely seem to give me a reason to stay with them anymore.

Basic phones for the parents? Only Verizon seems to have an LG flip phone that'd compare to what they currently have. Every other carrier has a wonderfully shitty selection. Data plans? Only sprint has unlimited, otherwise I'm paying out the nose for 4GB+ with anyone else. I do use right over 2GB/mo. on average, and the carriers know that this is the "haha, we got you, you pay us now" spot.

Note that I'm not considering any GSM carriers (AT&T-Mo) - their reception in the area is crap, and I am not a fan of either.

In the Deathstar's defense, their site was relatively easy to navigate, and their plans appear reasonable. T-Mo's site was somewhat easy, but offered total crap basic phones.

How is it that 'smaller' outfits like "consumer cellular" (the very name of this wants to make me gag) can offer a decent Moto flip phone, with fair pricing, but it's such a pain in the ass to find something even close on other carriers any more?

What the hell happened to cell phone carriers turning into data plan foisting pimps with impossible websites, plans that make no sense, and a basic phone selection as bleak as the surface of Mars?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

This is not so difficult - »www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· ing.html Just go to Shop --> Plans --> and choose a type of plan or View All...
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Turns out it was due to devices being pre-orders. Those that are not go through the standard shopping cart, which is worthwhile. .
Just early morning, pre-caffiene frustration I suppose.