Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan

Re: FTTH in ontario

said by LazMan:

I agree it's aggressive - But they are lining up lots of contractors, and making some big statements...

Dunno if they'll make their targets, but they are going to take a hell of a run at it.

Just look at IPTV.. they had very aggressive targets 5 years ago and still haven't met half of it.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by BACONATOR26:

Just look at IPTV.. they had very aggressive targets 5 years ago and still haven't met half of it.

They've met more than half of that goal. As far as I can tell, they're on track with their revised projections from two or so years ago for completion in 2015.

It'll be very interesting to see how Bell implements a FTTH deployment. I can't see them ripping out copper to all customers and going through the nightmare of putting ONTs into each and every house it passes, I just can't. I can see it being more of a Verizon-esque move where once you switch to a fibre-supplied product (in this case, Internet or Fibe TV) your POTS get switched to fibre and you can never go back to copper again. If you already have either of those products you automatically get moved to fibre.