All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
veriphone
join:2011-01-29

veriphone to JeanInNepean

to JeanInNepean

Re: [Cable] Cable speeds unacceptably slow - Georgetown, ON

Here are the latest speed tests results I just did. It is evening hours ...and the nightmare has began again...I can not even get half the speed any more...and as you can see from the last test it is so bad now that the up speed is better than the down speed!!!!??

TSI just told me despite the 48 hrs period expiring they still have no answer from Cogeco about the reason for my problems....

Next step will be to message Marc himself...

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 2265 kbps (283.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2095 kbps (261.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 1848 kbps (231 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2085 kbps (260.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

I guess things are getting from "normal" ....to "SUPER NORMAL"...

When I get my next bill I will pay TSI "up to" the amount they ask for...something like 10% sounds fair based on the 10% speeds they've been selling me.....lets see how they like that!!!

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch

said by veriphone:

Here are the latest speed tests results I just did. It is evening hours ...and the nightmare has began again...I can not even get half the speed any more...and as you can see from the last test it is so bad now that the up speed is better than the down speed!!!!??

TSI just told me despite the 48 hrs period expiring they still have no answer from Cogeco about the reason for my problems....

Next step will be to message Marc himself...

[att=1]

[att=2]

[att=3]

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 2265 kbps (283.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2095 kbps (261.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 1848 kbps (231 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2085 kbps (260.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

I guess things are getting from "normal" ....to "SUPER NORMAL"...

When I get my next bill I will pay TSI "up to" the amount they ask for...something like 10% sounds fair based on the 10% speeds they've been selling me.....lets see how they like that!!!

Yeah, that's not normal for a 20 Mbps connection, even during evening congestion. Evening congestion is normal but your situation seems worse than normal.

Of course the true test is real-world usage, and you indicate that you can't play CBC video clips - so that's that. But I do notice the speed test servers you're using are fairly far away, do you have a closer one you can test?

But as I said, your real-world usage is suffering, so no artificial speed test can tell you what you don't already know - something's wrong. Unfortunately everyone seems to be washing their hands of it but it looks like an overloaded local node which they should be seeing...if they actually cared.
veriphone
join:2011-01-29

veriphone

Fraoch,

I was using two different sites for the speed tests as recommended by TSI...one was »www.speedtest.net/ and there I've used servers near by....Toronto, St. Catherines, Barrie, Oakville, etc...and they also asked me to test using »www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and there I've tested with servers in Chicago, New York and Washington DC been the closest to me...
Either way as you said correctly it is a real problem playing short news video clips from CBC and CTV to the point I disconnected them after trying to watch 5 min clip for close to an hour.

You are also right about the ball being run around...I am now told Cogeco will test again tonight between 6pm and 9pm..hope they do and would like to see what they find out....
veriphone

veriphone

Just a quick follow up to my own post...just read number of other people having the same slow cable speeds at night. So turns out it was not my internal wiring, nor Cogeco. Also read Marc's announcement on the upgrade today and surprise surprise my download speeds are now back to normal around 20M...It did take a long time to sort it out but I am glad it is finally fixed....very appreciative of TSI's Keith tech support assistance in the last several days. The problem was not with my neighbors after all )))

Hey even managed to watch The National on line tonight with no interruptions....

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Glad to hear your speeds are back up to where they ought to be. Also glad to see your persistence to continue pursuing the cause, as it was not this mythical "node congestion" some shoved in your face and told you accept. You had a right to be frustrated and I applaud the way you wrote your posts, not in rage or with accusing TSI of this and that.

Good to see TSI got on top of it and added some more capacity.