how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

So I'm trying to figure out if this will work (NFC)

My son likes to use my Nexus 7. I tried out multi users, but at least in 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 it's unusable.

So the other day I was watching a video where someone did a review of some NFC tags and it gave me an idea.

My idea is to set up a tag to open App Lock (I've been using it for a while to keep my son out of apps that he doesn't need access to) »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···&feature and have it toggle the apps that I want to lock/unlock. I could also set up 2 tags, 1 to lock the apps, and 1 to unlock them.

I have yet to find any information that mentions if something like this will work or not.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
NFC can certainly launch an app. But App Lock would then need to automatically make those changes... both ways. I don't see that NFC would have the ability to do things inside of App Lock. The NFC app can launch Tasker and Tasker could probably be set up to do all of that but I suspect it would take some work to get that done.

PinkyThePig
Premium
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Sandman
There are 2 ways I would know how to do this. Both involve tasker (4 dollars). one involves tasker navigating the app with dpad presses to set everything. the other involves tasker doing its own lock. If wanted I could write out a list of instructions on how to do it but just as a fair warning on this path tasker isnt a traditional app. It's more a user friendly shell to make your own apps/ automated things. So it's not a lock application but it has easy to use tools inside of it that allow you to make an application locker.

PinkyThePig
Premium
Tempe, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Sandman
Just wanted to expand as well the reason this wouldn't work directly from an NFC tag is the app lock app would need some way to tie into another app. From looking at its description it doesnt look like that is an option at all so the extent your NFC tag would be able to do is simply open the app.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Sandman
i'm thinking you need to write a tag to toggle the App Lock, and you might have to involve Tasker to get it done. I'm very new at it (actually lazy about learning all the powerful stuff it can do).

Personally I think it's doable.
--
| map your city |

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO
reply to Sandman
Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like for $10 (the price of the NFC keychain + Tasker) I would possibly be able to do it. The $10 is not a big deal, I just don't have the time to try to figure it out.

For now I'll just enter my PIN for the apps that I have locked, and unlock them when it's a giant PITA, and hopefully Google will fix multi-user support.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

PinkyThePig
Premium
Tempe, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
Here is the tasker outline I wrote up awhile back. I had thought I had posted it here but I apparently forgot. »www.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments···_unlock/

message me on reddit if questions. I'm far more active on there than I am on here.