uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

1 recommendation

DynDNS getting greedy

It appears DynDNS has launched a new method to reach into our pockets. If you use the free version of DynDNS like I do, be sure to actually log in to your account once per month. The update client in the router is no longer good enough. This is an excerpt from an email I just received from them:

quote:
Starting now, if you would like to maintain your free Dyn account, you must log into your account once a month. Failure to do so will result in expiration and loss of your hostname. This activity helps us eliminate hostnames that are no longer needed and/or dormant. Note that using an update client will no longer suffice for this monthly login.
This activity helps the eliminate hostnames that are no longer needed? Poppycock! I'd feel better about the situation if they were honest about the reason they've made this change. Perhaps IPv6 will save us!

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

1 recommendation

Let me see. DynDns provides a totally free service and you are complaining about it. ??
Seems logging in once a month is sort of simple.
Just put a reminder in the calendar of your choice and be done with it.
Just my opinion.
PS. Many moons ago I received a offer to upgrade to a lifetime Dynamic DNS Pro - Permanent for a few dollars. Glad I took them up on the offer it seems.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

/sigh

I'm not complaining. I'm trying to be light-hearted while announcing a change to people who might not be aware. But even so, why should I feel any differently about this free service changing to try to get more money out of folks than I do about my cable tv service increasing by $10 every year? Just because you enjoy paying for a service that was once free doesn't mean that's how everyone should feel. The only thing I felt truly negatively about is an apparent lack of honesty on their part.

They offered a "switchover" $10 for the first year for the pro service but I didn't take the bait.

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL

Thanks for clarifying your OM did not come across as lighthearted. At least to me.
J

polarisdb

join:2004-07-12
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Gork

If you're willing to pre-pay for five years you can do so for $90 - $15 = $75 with coupon code "VIPUPGRADE". I've already lost a no-ip alias due to my USG 50 not updating my IP address often enough, so I'm probably going to break down and bite the bullet so I don't have to go through that again.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 recommendations

reply to Gork

said by Gork:

Perhaps IPv6 will save us!

Don't hold your breath while waiting for that to happen. That will totally depend on how your ISP assigns your IPv6 address(es). The IPv6 prefix portion of the address has changed several times for me on Comcast (using the same router), and while that D-Link router claims to do DynDNS IPv6 updates, I have found that it does not in actual practice do that (at least not automatically). When my prefix has changed, I have had to manually change the prefix for the built-in DynDNS client. After doing that, the router's DynDNS client does indeed update the DynDNS server, but it is not automatic.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

u475700
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Comcast
reply to Gork

They also have a special offer to upgrade to the Pro version:

We understand that the possibility of resulting service interruptions may be frustrating, so we are offering a transition upgrade offer to VIP status (Dyn Pro) for just $10 USD for the first year. Under this status, login will not be required and service will remain uninterrupted for an entire year.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

1 recommendation

reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

Don't hold your breath

Oh I won't... It's a very big perhaps! I've seen lots of posts while Googling from people asking Comcast how they can have a static IP addr/range with IPv6 and I have yet to see a straight up answer. More often it's stuff like, "Why would you need that? They're VIRTUALLY static as it is..." Yeah, BS. heh

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Gork

once a month ain't that bad, just one very small thing to add during my monthly server maintenance. just save password in browser, add url shortcut to click - done.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

Not that it makes much difference but that site doesn't allow me to save the pw in the browser. I also don't have monthly server maintenance. Well, I didn't until now anyway...

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

maybe a script then? lynx allows it.

natalienoip

@charter.com
reply to polarisdb

I am so sorry to hear that you lost one of your No-IP hosts... If you would to upgrade to an Enhanced DNS account (which will effectively keep your hostname active for 1 year) I can offer 30% off the upgrade coupon code: 30PERCENT

This service is usually $14.95, so the saving would be a little over $4...

»www.noip.com/enhanced/

Thanks!

Natalie
Online Marketing Manager
No-IP

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

1 recommendation

reply to Gork

»freedns.afraid.org
and
»www.dnsexit.com
are still completely free.

You can't update these directly from ZyWall, but if you have any device with root access on your LAN i.e. some NAS, some server or my favourite Raspberry Pi you can put updating client there.

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
reply to Gork

said by Gork:

Not that it makes much difference but that site doesn't allow me to save the pw in the browser. I also don't have monthly server maintenance. Well, I didn't until now anyway...

There's a form attribute that turns off autocomplete. There are however bookmarklets that let you re-enable the remember password function.

If you use firefox, I use this - »kb.mozillazine.org/User_name_and···membered

Put it on the toolbar and before you click login, click it and it'll remote the code that disables password memory. Then when you click login, it should ask if you want to save.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

said by tlhIngan:

There's a form attribute that turns off autocomplete. There are however bookmarklets that let you re-enable the remember password function.

I use IE. I use auto complete to remember un/pw and it works one some sites and not on others. I figured (assumption only) that the HTML author of a given page can allow users the ability to use autocomplete or not. ??

For now I'm just having Outlook remind me every three weeks to log in. At some point I will change this procedure. Whether that will be to switch to a different free ddns provider, or maybe a cheaper one, or if it'll be to write a script to work with Chromium or who knows what we'll see. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will one day end up with a Raspberry Pi type device as well...

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
reply to Brano

said by Brano See ProfileYou can't update these directly from ZyWall, but if you have any device with root access on your LAN i.e. some NAS, some server or my favourite Raspberry Pi you can put updating client there.

Unless you are running a multi-homed (USG50) with multiple IP addresses. Been there.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON

All of the update clients I've seen had the capability to pass specific IP to the DNS server ... multi homed should not be a problem.

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL

said by Brano:

All of the update clients I've seen had the capability to pass specific IP to the DNS server ... multi homed should not be a problem.

Since we are talking dynamic IP here how can an agent not in the router know the IP address of each WAN interface unless is can read the router's config pages?

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

I see few options
1) Script to read router web or cli
2) Doing some kind of ping / traceroute / web hit through a specific interface assuming policy routing is configured. Example: hit »www.whatismyip.com and extract the IP assuming this site goes out through interface A, and hit »www.whatsmyip.org assuming this site goes out through interface B
3) SNMP query the router and get the WAN IP ... I'd see this as simplest ... dirty example snmpwalk -v 2c -c public router_IP | grep IpAddress: ... you need to sanitize this but you get the point ;)

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL

More reasons to just use a dyndns provider supported by the router's dyndns agent. This was the point I was trying to make.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON

Well of course the native client is the best. Pay, configure, enjoy.
... but I thought we were discussing free alternatives ...

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA
reply to Gork

I've been using dyndns forever (router client) and have NOT received any such notification yet. (I regularly get their announcements, though).

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

Are you using the free version? Fwiw, I've been using 'em for free for in upwards of ten years.

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

Yes, I use the free version.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT

I guess you're either lucky for forgotten. Roll the dice...