uniqs
share rss forum feed

RobinM
Premium
join:2001-10-24
Lupton City, TN

1 edit

[Vista] Help removing IE9

I am trying to remove IE9 from my computer. I followed the instructions listed on the Microsoft webpage, restarted, and while it was restarting I noticed it was installing "updates". I had a feeling it was reinstalling IE. Sure enough, when I looked in my programs it was there.

So how can I uninstall IE9 permanently?

EDIT: I tried going through the steps again to remove it, but now it doesn't show up in "installed updates". However the program folder is there in my Program Files folder, and it shows in my start menu. Now I really don't know what to do lol.

Thanks

art22gg
Premium
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC
kudos:6

RobinM
Premium
Lupton City, TN
Believe it or not that is the exact page I went to (at least the instructions are word for word). It did in fact remove it. However when the computer was restarted I noticed it was installing updates while restarting. No way to stop it or anything. Sure enough IE was right back on there. So, I am asking, how do I remove it and make it STAY away? Not to mention as I said above it now does not show in the "installed updates" so I cannot go through the same instructions again.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
said by RobinM:

However when the computer was restarted I noticed it was installing updates while restarting. No way to stop it or anything. Sure enough IE was right back on there.

Sounds like you had automatic updates turned on. This (among many other reasons) is why I always set my systems to either "Never Check" or "Manual", or find some way to turn it off.

This way, I have full control over what I do install, and what updates I leave behind.

As far as removing it again, I'm not sure. If it did indeed come from Windows Update, there should be a way for you to see it as an installed update, and remove it from there.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

RobinM
Premium
Lupton City, TN
Well I guess it's not a big deal. I could just ignore it and leave it there. It does not show in installed updates at all. It has a folder in "Program Files" and it shows in my start menu. I cannot find the uninstall file or else I would double click it to start the uninstall.

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
reply to RobinM