uniqs
share rss forum feed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

[Temps] Anyone w/ ASRock X79 Extreme9 ? High Voltage Regulator t

I'm running into an issue with my new build.

It's a 3930k on an ASRock X79 Extreme9 motherboard. I'm noticing that my CPU is being throttled while under load, although the CPU temperatures are OK. I suspect it's the VRM protection, although turning it off in BIOS didn't affect it. So when HWiNFO64 showed me two hugely different voltage regulator temperatures, I became concerned..... defective motherboard? Badly mounted heatsink? Or is it normal....? Google isn't helping me this time.

Well, see for yourself. 75c ? Ouch! If anyone else has an ASRock and can compare their temps, that would be very helpful, indeed.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

Re: [Temps] Anyone w/ ASRock X79 Extreme9 ? High Voltage Regulat

What other tools have you used to measure temps?

The fact all those reading are 75, and no high/low levels I'd imagine something isn't being read correctly, either software or motherboard.

I'd try a few other tools CoreTemp, SpeedFan etc to see if all the results are the same.
Also what of bios temp readings?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Actually, it does move around during normal usage.... butt there's still a 35-40 degree (C) difference between the VR1 and VR2

That particular session was started while the CPU was being stressed..... so when I ran it it was already hot.... and stayed steady at 75 while I captured the screen shot.... so you see 75 across the board.

The Bios doesn't display the voltage regulator temps. The CPU temps aren't too bad. 50's-60's under heavy loads.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

Click for full size
downloadpb-chl8326.pdf 112,401 bytes
I don't have this board but looking at the specs of that controller suggests it might not be using all it's potential due to how it is set up looking at your manual as well.
Have you over clocked at all and checked the results?
PDF attached of the controller specs.

Edit: Also, maybe someone else can clarify, but would this be the temp for the mosfets themselves and you are only using 1 bank due to no overclock?

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Actually, I am OC'ed ATM. System seems stable 4.4 Ghz but if I go above this I start experiencing occasional crashing when under load.... also the crashes seem to be related to Win8 Drivers, but I'm still diagnosing.

I did observe that the temperature difference between VR1 and VR2 remains no matter the OC or not, but I am waiting to hear back from the author of HWiNFO64 as well, as the new version is crashing now on Startup, likely due to Win8 driver issues, I want to continue to monitor VR1 and VR2. I can't find any posts anywhere online about the VR temps of the ASRock X79 Extreme 9.

I think I'll try talking with ASRock but I've heard that's much like banging your head on a block wall. Maybe not. I basically just want to see if this is normal for this board or if mine is misbehaving.
--