Premium
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·PHONE POWER
·AT&T U-Verse

[Asterisk] Advanced FreePBX documentation

After a year and a half my sister and her partners started moving to IP PBX direction.

Right now they have a PIAF server on rentpbx.com, and PhonePower SIP trunking as provider. We set up about a dozen extensions for 6 people (some assistants support multiple doctors). So far so good. In fact, the biggest challenge was to learn how to operate those new fancy phones. They have two new DIDs coming into PhonePower, and two other still going through legacy pbx (it will probably be another 2-3 months before they are comfortable pulling the plug on it - did I say that healthcare industry moves sloooow?!).

Anyway, the basic functionality works fine. But now we are dealing with some advanced scenarios. They will probably include changing some config files and/or programming. I am trying to find some documentation as to how extend asterisk without (a) doing the things that can be done in FreePBX GUI, and (b) without having my changes overwritten by changes done in FreePBX GUI.

Any words of advice? Sorry for a long post...
--
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
The PIAF forum is an OK place. There are some cranky cusses there. I would link, but their site is down and I'm not sure what's happening.

This forum here is good as well (DSLR VoIP).
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1
reply to ymhee_bcex
I will give you one small piece of advice that may or may not be helpful. When you do searches, search for mentions of either of these files, which are found in the /etc/asterisk directory:

extensions_custom.conf
extensions_override_freepbx.conf

Those are not the only files used to add custom dialplan to PiaF, but probably 90% or more of customizations involve code snippets in one of those files. So if you search for articles that mention them, you may uncover some interesting ways to do things.

Just remember that not all advice is good advice, and that some advice that was valid four or five versions ago is now seriously outdated, and you should be fine.

ymhee_bcex
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·PHONE POWER
·AT&T U-Verse
said by nunya:

The PIAF forum is an OK place. There are some cranky cusses there. I would link, but their site is down and I'm not sure what's happening.

I actually thought about posting it there... but both forum and nerd vittles are down. Ward, what's going on?!

said by WhyADuck:

Just remember that not all advice is good advice, and that some advice that was valid four or five versions ago is now seriously outdated, and you should be fine.

Very good point; I am reading a book on FreePBX, but it is (a) way too old; and (b) way too trivial. It doesn't go beyond configuring trunks / extensions, etc. And documentation on FreePBX site is worst example of technical documentation (in order to set up inbound route, select Inbound Route menu option). Then again, there was no 2.10 documentation at all just a few months ago; so I am not going to complain too loud.

Asterisk book has been updated - but it assumes no GUI shell whatsoever, and it doesn't take into account additional configuration files that you mentioned.

I would much prefer to read some book / blog / recipes before I start annoying people with stupid questions
--
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
My personal preference is to make changes in extensions_override_freepbx.conf.

If I'm modifying a context, such as [from-sip-external], I would copy the context into extensions_override_freepbx.conf, and modify the code in extensions_override_freepbx.conf.

The original version of the context is now "over ridden", but not "over written", and future versions of FreePBX will not over write my changes.

said by ymhee_bcex:

Asterisk book has been updated - but it assumes no GUI shell whatsoever, and it doesn't take into account additional configuration files that you mentioned.

Here's a link to O'Reilly Open Feedback Publishing System - Asterisk: The Definitive Guid (4th ed).

The OFPS page currently has the following note:
quote:
Participate in collaborative community feedback to help refine in-progress, open projects.
OFPS Is Moving

The Open Feedback Publishing System (OFPS) was a successful O’Reilly experiment that demonstrated the benefits of bridging the gap between private manuscripts and public blogs. Readers gained access to in-progress O’Reilly manuscripts and were able to communicate suggestions with the authors, follow others’ comments, and directly participate in the development of new books. Additionally, authors published their in-progress work whenever they thought it ready for public comment and were able to update the site with new versions as the content was improved.

We’ve taken all of our learning and incorporated into something new and very exciting. We’re currently in the process of migrating active OFPS projects to a new experiment—one that aims to improve on all the benefits of OFPS. If you liked OFPS, you’re going to love what’s next.

I cannot tell if the current content will still be available once the migration is complete.