uniqs
darthanubis
join:2010-01-05
Chesterfield, VA

1 edit

darthanubis to ImpldConsent

to ImpldConsent

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Linux Can Outperform Apple OS X 10.8.3

Yeah, screw that guy for being a capitalist and doing what everyone else does. All his tests be damned. Even if the test are flawed he is bringing attention to "All things Linux".

Ninety percent of these replies are OT.

Attack the methodology of his tests, not the person.

If you have nothing to add regarding the test. Why post? People will still visit the site regardless of how some feel.

I was accused of having an agenda. While that was a direct attack on me, without basis, it was allowed to stand.

What is the agenda of those who wish to attack the messengers of this article?

Christ, all I did was drop a link I though would be fuel for intellectually honest discussion. Had I known it was going to elicit this nonsense, I'd have passed.

There obviously won't be a discussion on this thread, just tin foil nuttery, and finger pointing, so just lock the thread already.

Cheers!

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by darthanubis:

Even if the test are flawed he is bringing attention to "All things Linux".

Is accuracy and integrity really the first things "All things Linux" should be throwing away? Is there a good, solid reason why we must flaw tests in order to discuss Linux performance? Can Linux not outperform without cooking the tests?

It is bad, all around. Flawed "scientific" tests makes the victor look bad. Attention does not need bought with "flawed" tests, especially since true cross-platform performance testing, including comparing desktops to tablets/phones, has arrived. Anand performed many tests in this manner, none of which were admittedly "flawed" for the sake of putting any regurgitated mess of words out on the intarnetses.

GILXA1226
MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

1 recommendation

GILXA1226 to darthanubis

MVM

to darthanubis
said by darthanubis:

Ok, the fact he ran the tests using only the intel graphics card, because that is all Ubuntu could easily use, gave an unfair advantage to Ubuntu because OS X can fully utilize both video cards for what it does. To use a car analogy, your racing two cars, a 4 cylinder and a v8, but have rigged the v-8 to only be able to run on 4 of it's cylinders, who do you think would win?
darthanubis
Chesterfield, VA

darthanubis to markofmayhem

to markofmayhem
Thank you.

Seriously. I'll look into Anand's test.
darthanubis

darthanubis to GILXA1226

to GILXA1226
Thank you as well.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to darthanubis

to darthanubis
said by darthanubis:

Yeah, screw that guy for being a capitalist and doing what everyone else does. All his tests be damned. Even if the test are flawed he is bringing attention to "All things Linux".

Ninety percent of these replies are OT.

If you have nothing to add regarding the test. Why post? People will still visit the site regardless of how some feel.

I was accused of having an agenda. While that was a direct attack on me, without basis, it was allowed to stand.

What is the agenda of those who wish to attack the messengers of this article?

Christ, all I did was drop a link I though would be fuel for intellectually honest discussion. Had I known it was going to elicit this nonsense, I'd have passed.

There obviously won't be a discussion on this thread, just tin foil nuttery, and finger pointing, so just lock the thread already.

Cheers!

I've personally pointed out flaws in his methodology to him directly on his forums, he doesn't care, he is only looking for a quick advertising buck.

Attack the messenger because Larabel is doing a disservice to the Linux community with his extremely low quality of testing, writing and constant smearing of hardware companies for "attacking open source" when it's clear from the article the only person he's talked to is some first tier outsourced phone service "tech" that everyone gets when they call the tech support number for any company.

His blatant fanboisim for Valve and Unigine, completely ignoring games from other companies unless they are major announcements like something from DoubleFine. Completely ignoring the other gaming services for Linux like Desura and Gamolith, even though Desura still to this day has a larger library of Linux titles, it even has "AAA" games like the Fallout series preFallout 3.

You want ad hit whoring? Look up the once a month every month for 3 years of "STEAM FOR LINUX WILL BE OUT THIS WEEK!!!" articles even at a point when Valve staff was saying in interviews that there wouldn't be any Steam for Linux, it seems to only be a decision made after it started looking like Microsoft and Apple where going to start their own stores and force them out of the market so they had to do something to head them off.
darthanubis
Chesterfield, VA

darthanubis

said by intok:

You want ad hit whoring? Look up the once a month every month for 3 years of "STEAM FOR LINUX WILL BE OUT THIS WEEK!!!" articles even at a point when Valve staff was saying in interviews that there wouldn't be any Steam for Linux, it seems to only be a decision made after it started looking like Microsoft and Apple where going to start their own stores and force them out of the market so they had to do something to head them off.

lol.

I remember that. But the rest of your informed experience shared was an education. That is what I was accustom to from this forum when I started reading this site, so many years ago, and why I've been lurking ever since.

Decided to contribute a bit.

But, thank you as well.

Cheers!