spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Bamboo Hell

We just purchased a home a few months ago. The previous owners had the grand idea to plant bamboo (yes, seriously - bamboo) around the back of the patio in a semicircle as a barrier.

I knew we'd have a problem with keeping it in check when we first moved in back in early April - I just didn't know how big of a problem it is. Originally, I thought I'd have a hard time keeping the existing row of bamboo cut and trimmed, which isn't really a big deal.

We've had a fairly chilly spring, and temperatures are just now starting to warm up. With that, there have been hundreds of bamboo shoots popping up and extending out from the existing semicircle and into my lawn (about 50 feet in every direction of the existing row). As expected, they grow like crazy.

I've been pulling them up and/or cutting them as they appear, then dousing the hell out of the exposed shoot with some heavy duty Roundup. The verdict is still out on whether I'm wasting my time. Any other ideas? I certainly hope this isn't going to require a backhoe.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by Hazy Arc:

Any other ideas? I certainly hope this isn't going to require a backhoe.

Mini Excavator?

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

We just purchased a home a few months ago. The previous owners had the grand idea to plant bamboo (yes, seriously - bamboo) around the back of the patio in a semicircle as a barrier.

I knew we'd have a problem with keeping it in check when we first moved in back in early April - I just didn't know how big of a problem it is. Originally, I thought I'd have a hard time keeping the existing row of bamboo cut and trimmed, which isn't really a big deal.

We've had a fairly chilly spring, and temperatures are just now starting to warm up. With that, there have been hundreds of bamboo shoots popping up and extending out from the existing semicircle and into my lawn (about 50 feet in every direction of the existing row). As expected, they grow like crazy.

I've been pulling them up and/or cutting them as they appear, then dousing the hell out of the exposed shoot with some heavy duty Roundup. The verdict is still out on whether I'm wasting my time. Any other ideas? I certainly hope this isn't going to require a backhoe.

Welcome to the joys of owning a yard with bamboo. It will spread, and fast, since bamboo is technically a giant grass rather than a species of tree.The only way I know of to prevent the physical appearance is to do what you do (Round-Up is effective, but will require large doses). To contain it you need to dig a 3 foot wide 10 foot deep trench and fill it with concrete, or some kind of steel or plastic barrier. Bamboo is highly invasive, sio it's not a question of if it spreads but when.

»www.clemson.edu/extensio ··· 320.html

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
Who knew there is a bamboo society?

»www.bamboo.org/GeneralIn ··· boo.html

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
I have noted this before on this forum, but when helping friends dealing with the bamboo dilemma, everything came back to one thing:

"You can't kill bamboo, but you can kill the person that planted it."
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
I'll trade you your bamboo for my ivy any day ..........

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
Cut the bamboo close to ground level to start.

Buy concentrated Round UP (glycosphate). Apply liberally with a hand sprayer to any new shoots. Try to just keep it where the bamboo grows because it will kill all grass.

Keep spraying and mowing for 1 year. Do not take any prisoners! You need to eradicate it.

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

Domane to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
Ask any Vietnam Vet about bamboo. They will tell you all about the "pesky" plant critter.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
Marry an Asian chick and she'll do something about it. I'm not sure what. All I know is: They do stuff with it.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

Marry an Asian chick and she'll do something about it. I'm not sure what. All I know is: They do stuff with it.

Make nice looking cutting boards and bowls? We have some bamboo kitchen stuff. I like it.

If you're in the intelligence community you could use it to obtain secrets from people. I hear it works...

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
My mother has been dealing with Bamboo ever since she moved into her house 30 years ago. She is beaten by it every year. I can remember as a kid playing in the bamboo "forest". Honestly I can not get over how fast it will spread. I am not sure how it spreads. Do leaves or broken pieces spawn new plants? Anyways, I think you are a fighting a battle you wont win.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

said by swintec:

My mother has been dealing with Bamboo ever since she moved into her house 30 years ago. She is beaten by it every year. I can remember as a kid playing in the bamboo "forest". Honestly I can not get over how fast it will spread. I am not sure how it spreads. Do leaves or broken pieces spawn new plants? Anyways, I think you are a fighting a battle you wont win.

Roots

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Eat it generally.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
Hire a bunch of pandas!

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by ArthurS:

Hire a bunch of pandas!

I actually tried donating it to the National Zoo, and it turns out pandas only eat bamboo shoots.

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
I have a bunch if the stuff in my back yard. There are some underground concrete barriers to contain it, but I still have to manage it in some spots. This time of year, that means heading out with loppers every few days to cut off the new growth.

I noticed that MD state highway was able to selectively kill a huge stand of bamboo on a highway with heavy vegetation on my way to work. I'd like to find out what they used to do that.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
The way to contain bamboo is to use a barrier around the plantation to contain the runners. Some runners will try to go over the surface of the barrier but those are easily cut and trimmed because they are right there exposed. I think it's hilarious if you type "Containing [SPACE]" on the Google toolbar the second thing on the suggestions list that pops up is "Bamboo", so you're not alone.

Apparently bamboo is resistant to many herbicides and poisons.

The idea seems to be dig a three foot trench around the bamboo area and put in a barrier (preferably angled, to bring the runners up to the surface)

»www.bamboogarden.com/barrier.htm

This site has some general pictures I think would help.

Also found this:

Glyphosate

Glyphosate is an herbicide found in products such as Roundup. Glyphosate is effective against any plants it comes into direct contact with. This herbicide does not have any soil action, so it is safe to use when the bamboo is positioned close to other trees or plants. For the best effect, paint the glyphosate directly onto the leaves. Once the bamboo stalk is cut, immediate application of a glyphosate herbicide (within 15 seconds) will result in the herbicide being carried directly to the roots. The optimal concentration of glyphosate is 5 percent.

Imazapyr

Imazapyr is an herbicide found in products such as Arsenal. Imazapyr is by far the most effective herbicide for killing bamboo. The only disadvantage to this product is its soil action, which will kill any nearby plants whose roots may extend into the application zone. Imazapyr is applied directly to the root system, usually to a radius of 3 feet from the trunk.The optimal concentration of imazapyr is 1 percent.

Acetic Acid

Acetic acid is an herbicide found in products such as Burnout. Acetic acid works by changing the chemistry of the soil and cell sap, rendering it ineffective. According to Geoff Hamilton, author of "Organic Gardening," acetic acid is effective in controlling and killing bamboo 90 percent of the time. Acetic acid is most effective on a hot day, as more of the herbicide is absorbed into the root system. The optimal concentration of acetic acid is 20 percent.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
Bamboo is grass.

Round Up

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by mityfowl:

Bamboo is grass.

Round Up

Round Up is really ineffective unless you use it in large amounts, and even then it might not be effective.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

said by sk1939:

said by mityfowl:

Bamboo is grass.

Round Up

Round Up is really ineffective unless you use it in large amounts, and even then it might not be effective.

BS

You have never used it.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by mityfowl:

said by sk1939:

said by mityfowl:

Bamboo is grass.

Round Up

BS

You have never used it.

Nor have you on large amounts of bamboo I'm willing to bet.

I have rampant bamboo, and it's ineffective unless used in large quantities in conjunction with other methods. It's not a "spray and forget" like you would have people believe.

"Removal Methods: Many people ask about using Round-Up or other herbicides to kill bamboo. We do not recommend it. The root mass left in the ground will make other uses or replanting of the same area difficult, if not impossible, and often the plants will still re-shoot. If you are, nevertheless, determined to use Round Up, remember that the poison is taken in through the leaves only, and it must be applied in an undiluted form, which is sometimes difficult to find."

»www.bamboosourcery.com/c ··· m?row=16

"there are currently no herbicide labels that list bamboo as a controlled species. But there are herbicides that are relatively effective on this weed. Both glyphosate (Roundup and others) and imazapyr (Arsenal and others), used at high rates, will control bamboo."

»edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ag266

Note the word control, not get rid of completely.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
One way to do it is to dig up *everything* that has bamboo, and remove all the plants, including roots and runners.

If that's too much work, you should at least put a barrier around your bamboo patch (see KrK's post) and can do the elimination piecemal at a later time.

disconnected
@108.210.131.x

disconnected to Hazy Arc

Anon

to Hazy Arc
We've got the opposite problem here.. my wife planted bamboo in our yard, but it won't grow. Only about 2% of the sun's light reaches ground here in the Black Forest. Almost nothing but moss grows here.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
Sort of amazing to me to read these stories
My experience is so opposite

There is a nursery here in Tucson that sells a wide variety of bamboo for big bucks

A year ago last Feb I paid almost $500 for 3 15 gallon plants
It has been a struggle to keep them alive in winter as it will get below freezing a few hours a few night a year

I baby mine because I love the shade and atmosphere they create with my patio...

Good luck with your efforts
Bob

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Domane

Anon

to Domane
said by Domane:

Ask any Vietnam Vet about bamboo. They will tell you all about the "pesky" plant critter.

Wasn't there a Vietnamese PoW breakout w/ the help of Bamboo?

I read it a couple of decades ago, but the story that I recall went something like this:

They got permission to make a small garden near the perimeter fence. Then planted bamboo. It grows at a rate of something like 2 inches an hour. In less than a week they used it as cover to crawl out on on their stomachs as they cut trough the fence.

Is this what you're referring to about this pesky plant?

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
We had some bamboo in our back berm when we moved in back in 2000. We had to dig it out by hand.

Now, what I would have tried had I known then was stump killer.

Bananas are just as hard to eradicate and roundup did little.

Stump killer on the exposed roots took care of the nannas toot sweet.

Dave
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
only thing i can think of to get rid of the bamboo is agent orange and napalm?

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA

1 recommendation

fuziwuzi to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
Those young shoots are very delicious. They are prized in many Asian kitchens, the spring season for the shoots is anticipated by many. They are great in stir-fries with a little ground pork.
eagleknight
join:2002-11-08
Troy, OH

eagleknight to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
I was thinking mini excavator also... You wouldn't need a very big one. Probably around a 3000lbs model. Dig out the area then fill the area in with new topsoil. Hit any sprouts with roundup.
Talis
join:2001-06-21
Houston, TX

Talis to Liberty

to Liberty
It sounds like you have the "clumping" variety - not the "runner" variety.

»www.bamboo.org/GeneralIn ··· boo.html