bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to thephantom

Premium Member

to thephantom

Re: PC turning itself OFF - HELP!

I don't know that I'm a connoisseur on thermal paste, but I did find this: »www.tweaknews.net/review ··· ndex.php
complete with illustrations and photos, etc. I found it interesting that the product takes 7 days to cure and achieve maximum effectiveness. Have a read for yourself. According to that test, it is very equal in function to the popular Arctic Silver. BTW one issue I have with AS is that it is conductive and you need to be really careful not to get any on traces or pins.

At this point I would say you should be fine with what you have and it's not worth buying anything else.

thephantom
join:2001-04-24
Alamo, CA

thephantom

said by bbear2:

I don't know that I'm a connoisseur on thermal paste, but I did find this: »www.tweaknews.net/review ··· ndex.php
complete with illustrations and photos, etc.
. . .

At this point I would say you should be fine with what you have and it's not worth buying anything else.

Thanks for digging up that article for me. The only thing I messed up on was not wiping off the old stuff with the alcohol as you previously mentioned. It looks like they also "painted" the entire surface. Maybe this time I'll try being a bit more conservative with the application.
s.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem

Premium Member

said by thephantom See Profile
The only thing I messed up on was not wiping off the old stuff with the alcohol as you previously mentioned. It looks like they also "painted" the entire surface. Maybe this time I'll try being a bit more conservative with the application.

Yes, you definitely need to thoroughly clean off the old TIM first.

I do not recommend painting or trying to spread the new TIM manually. The weight of your tightened heatsink will do that more evenly and better than most of us can do by hand.

"One small grain of rice in the center for single cores."

"Two small grains of rice separated by 1/4" for multi-cores."

That has worked extremely well hundreds of times here.