how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnnyBeGood

join:2008-04-18
Seattle, WA

1 edit

DynDNS now requires monthly login - alternative?

Hi all,

I just got email from DynDNS »i.imgur.com/KBHgDhr.png
that I will have login on a monthly basis in order to keep myname.homelinux.net
I already have myname.net with godaddy and was wondering how I can avoid using DynDNS because I know I'll forget to update it.
At home I use pfSense and under Dynamic DNS there quite a few of other services but not sure what would be the best approach »i.imgur.com/cgoclsP.png

Before while zoneedit was free I guess you could enter nameservers info on godaddy and enter all zoneedit details on pfSense and it would keep it updated.

Suggestions?

TIA

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
I got the same email for the address I use for remote access to my DVR. I suspect that they will send monthly email reminders, along with offers to "end the pain" of logging in for a reduced annual fee.

I use a different dynamic service ( »www.noip.com/services/managed_dn···dns.html ) for my home VPN server and they send me the reminder email every month. It takes about 10 seconds to click the link in the email and renew for another month. I hope that DynDNS will have a similar process.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
I use no-ip as well. I signed up last December and I got one email that I had to respond to after that but then I haven't gotten any more since then. I did get a newsletter in April.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
reply to JohnnyBeGood
Thanks for the replies!

Correct me if I'm wrong but with no-ip if your client logs in it count as account is alive, with DynDNS you have to login onto their site every month.

I just want have something similar to zoneedit setup.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
reply to JohnnyBeGood
i got the same email, but i think they only charge 10 dollars a year, i have to confirm that.

i have 5 free names with dyndns, so it might be worth it for me.

i own my own domain name, but none of my locations have static IPs, so there is more to it than just setting an a record for all 5 of locations.

edit- it is 10 dollars for the first year.

eibgrad

join:2010-03-15
reply to JohnnyBeGood
no-ip sends me emails all the time (I'm surprised that anyone not paying isn't). In fact, just got one today! The only service I've found that still doesn't require a monthly login is afraid.org.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Don’t jinx it! afraid.org FTW!

grcore
Challenge Accepted

join:2003-12-06
usa
reply to JohnnyBeGood
Move your domain to NameCheap and you can use a subdomain to resolve your DNS.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

1 edit
does namecheap have a dns updater client?

edit- "Takes care of a dynamically changing IP address and keeps your site running without downtime."

i am going to change the nameservers on one of my domains to test this out.

thanks

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

1 edit
the namecheap recommendation is almost exactly what i want, thank you.

i can use my own domain and each location will be a subdomain.

i will have to install the namecheap ddns client on a PC at each location, but that isn't a big deal, each location currently has the dyndns client running on a PC and in the router (for a backup in case one of the two freeze/lock up [it has happened before]).

what i dont like (but not a big deal)

- i didnt move my domain, so my name servers say freedns1, freedns2, etc...

- their client doesnt auto sense an IP change, you have to select a time value from the drop down menu.

edit- i am running pfsense at home and just saw that namecheap was one of the providers in the dynamic dns section. i didnt see a time value for updating via pfsense, does this happen automatically when pfsense is assigned a new dynamic IP from the ISP?

thanks.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by tomdlgns:

the namecheap recommendation is almost exactly what i want, thank you.

i can use my own domain and each location will be a subdomain.

i will have to install the namecheap ddns client on a PC at each location, but that isn't a big deal, each location currently has the dyndns client running on a PC and in the router (for a backup in case one of the two freeze/lock up [it has happened before]).

what i dont like (but not a big deal)

- i didnt move my domain, so my name servers say freedns1, freedns2, etc...

- their client doesnt auto sense an IP change, you have to select a time value from the drop down menu.

edit- i am running pfsense at home and just saw that namecheap was one of the providers in the dynamic dns section. i didnt see a time value for updating via pfsense, does this happen automatically when pfsense is assigned a new dynamic IP from the ISP?

thanks.

I like the namecheap alternative. I have had namecheap as my registrar for a while now and this is nice because I can just use a subdomain for my home account.

As for the time value for updating the client, I set mine for every 15 minutes. My IP did change and I was only down for about 4 minutes before the time value kicked in.

Another alternative I am using is my router's built in Dynamic DNS client. My ASUS router has the option for creating a free dynamic DNS subdomain with an asuscom.com domain I believe. I only tested it but it worked very well.

I can't believe that dyndns is going this route. Very disappointing.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to tomdlgns
Registrar eNom also offers this:

»www.enom.com/help/faq_dynamicdns.asp

I believe some namecheap registrations are still eNom:

»community.namecheap.com/forums/v···&p=13765

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
reply to JohnnyBeGood
Thanks for the replies!

Namecheap is the setup that I would like to use with myname.net domain and my goal is to have it automatically update in pfSense when ip changes.

I've initiated transfer from godaddy to namecheap on one of my domains to test it out.

I'll post back here.

eibgrad

join:2010-03-15
reply to JohnnyBeGood
Perhaps it should be called nogodaddy.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to JohnnyBeGood
said by JohnnyBeGood:

Thanks for the replies!

Namecheap is the setup that I would like to use with myname.net domain and my goal is to have it automatically update in pfSense when ip changes.

I've initiated transfer from godaddy to namecheap on one of my domains to test it out.

I'll post back here.

that's what i did, but i didn't transfer the domain (i have no problem with keeping it registered at godaddy).

i assume you knew you didnt have to transfer just to test it out.

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
said by tomdlgns:

said by JohnnyBeGood:

Thanks for the replies!

I'll post back here.

that's what i did, but i didn't transfer the domain (i have no problem with keeping it registered at godaddy).

i assume you knew you didnt have to transfer just to test it out.

I wanted to use myname.net instead of subdomain.myname.net
I can't use myname.net for this purpose while registered at godaddy?

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
not sure, this thread was about dyndns service, i have always used subdomain.dyndns.com, i assumed everyone in here was going the same thing.

are you just wanting to host a site at a place where yourdomain.net lives at (dynamic IP)?

you can still use namecheap for your DNS zone file and left godaddy as the registrar.

all you needed to do was login to godaddy, open up the DNS domain settings and changed your name servers to point to namecheap

FREEDNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS4.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS3.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS5.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM

then you could have logged into namecheap to manage the DNS (a records, mx records, aliases, cnames, etc....

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to grcore
I transferred my domains away from namecheap a few years ago after spending a significant amount of time trying to figure out how to modify my DNS records.

I haven't looked at the site lately, but back then it was about as bad as excite.com, an absolute nightmare. I can only justify wandering around a bad site with non-existant search and help functionality for so long before it no longer makes sense to do business with them. I might be daft, but I find most web designers at least somewhat helpful in condescending to my needs.

Hopefully namecheap has got better since then. Judging from the responses here, it's not as bad as it used to be.
--
db

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
reply to JohnnyBeGood
FWIW, I’ve always used a subdomain for my DDNS and then I create a CNAME for the more important DDNS records. For example, home.example.com is a CNAME for home.external.example.com and this works well.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
i do this, but a little different.

exmaple, with DYNDNS at home, my free ddns name was...myname.dyndns.com.

i would login to my website DNS zone file and create an alias...home.mysite.com and point it to myname.dyndns.com

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to clarknova
i had DNS setup in a few minutes. they must have improved it. the mx record section was nice, it had a selection for google apps, saved me from having to copy paste (i am sure alot of dns providers are probably doing this, now).

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:11
reply to JohnnyBeGood
Some free alternatives
»freedns.afraid.org
»www.dnsexit.com

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
reply to tomdlgns
said by tomdlgns:

not sure, this thread was about dyndns service, i have always used subdomain.dyndns.com, i assumed everyone in here was going the same thing.

are you just wanting to host a site at a place where yourdomain.net lives at (dynamic IP)?

you can still use namecheap for your DNS zone file and left godaddy as the registrar.

all you needed to do was login to godaddy, open up the DNS domain settings and changed your name servers to point to namecheap

FREEDNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS4.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS3.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS5.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM

then you could have logged into namecheap to manage the DNS (a records, mx records, aliases, cnames, etc....

Yes, I would like to use it for eventually test it for home website and the same time I need to have it for other services.

I get the part where you can change DNS servers on godaddy but in namecheap if you don't have domain with them you can't generate user name and password for client to update ie. here »www.namecheap.com/support/knowle···namicdns

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
i just forwarded/changed my nameservers in godaddy and the client worked fine on my PC. then i installed it in pfsense (on another network i have) and it updated that ip/name as well (sub domain).

you need the 'password' i didnt do anything with a user name.

Current Dynamic DNS Status : Enabled
INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR DYNAMIC DNS CLIENT

Domain Name mydomain.com

Host Name anyhost_you_specify_in_client

Please make sure you create an A record for this host name before sending a dynamic dns update command. You can set an A record using the 'All Hosts' page. Use a dummy address if IP not known.
ex: www 127.0.0.1 'A Record'

Password 4xbjfjjasdfkasfkljasfkjaskfjaskfjkasjfasjf7

obviously i added dummy characters to my password, but thats what it will look like.

- under account information i have all 0s, hover over products, my account section, click on your free dns
- verify your domain is in there, click the domain name
- under advanced options on the left side click Dynamic DNS
- this is the screen that shows the info i pasted above and where you get your password

i used the 2.0.0.6 client

»www.namecheap.com/support/knowle···aspx/111

as of now, my domain name is still at godaddy, i just changed the name servers to point to name cheap.

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I went ahead and canceled transfer to namecheap.

I followed your instructions but for whatever reason when I try to ping from outside I get reply from 127.0.0.1 ?
Can you please post some of your screenshots ie. pfsense, namecheap, etc. ?

Here are some of mine:
ping.eu
»i.imgur.com/dpeU1IK.png

namecheap
»i.imgur.com/Q1QNjgC.png

pfSense
»i.imgur.com/1poqGhV.png

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
reply to JohnnyBeGood
Kinda got it to work.
Found this »doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Dynamic_DNS

Namecheap
Note: To update an @ record, use @.yourdomain.com for the hostname.

After adding @. in front of mydomain.net »i.imgur.com/DCTKKvP.png
when I try to ping mydomain.net I get reply from my home IP address.
How do I get the same for subdomain test.mydomain.net ?
»i.imgur.com/t1B9Dgw.png
It never updates and it stays at 127.0.0.1

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
i will post screens tomorrow, i am about to go to bed.

here is a quick copy/paste of what i have in pfsense

hostname- home.mydomain.com

password- afafasfaskfjkasjfklasjflkjaslf password from namecheap

description- namecheap update info (this isn't needed, obviously).

once i did that, it updated immediately.

i use www.whatsmydns.net to check dns propagation.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to JohnnyBeGood
i know this isnt what you want to do, but try this just to make sure you can get a subdomain working. i know you are trying to get it to work with the domain on its own.

in name cheap, under the sub domain field, type in test or home, pick whatever you want.

if you use home, go to pfsense and where you have yourdomain.net, type in home.youdomain.net. save the settings in pfsense and see if the namecheap website updates the subdomain you made with the ip of your home connection. when you first setup the subdomain, use 127.0.0.1 in namecheap and set it as an A (address) from the drop down.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to JohnnyBeGood
try this...

in pfsense, in the host field, add www.yourdomain.net and make sure your password stays the same. see if that updates the IP in namecheap.

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
reply to JohnnyBeGood
Tried all of your suggestions:
1. Changing to test.mydomain.net in pfSense
2. Made sure there was test subdomain on namecheap
3. Changed to www.mydomain.net in pfSense
5. Still no joy

Tried namecheap chat support they suggested to use supported client. Apparently pfSense is not good enough.

When you get a chance please post your screenshots.