Search similar:

uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[Opera] Good download manager for Opera?

Opera 12.15 suddenly has stopped keeping the list of downloads after May 10. Now it keeps the list ONLY until I reboot the computer. Then all downloads since May 10 are deleted. I have done NOTHING to change Opera's behavior and have no idea what happened on May 10 that made Opera decide to delete the download list (but delete only the downloads since May 10) on reboot. I NEED it to keep a list of all downloads until I decide to remove any from the list (I want Opera to keep the list indefinitely like Fx does and Opera used to do). I had to reboot the computer repeatedly the past two days because I do all Microsoft patches manually from Microsoft Download Center and use Opera to download them. I then depend on Opera to keep the list so I can find each download easily in my large downloads folder.

Since Opera is deleting the list now anytime I reboot, is there a good third party downloads manager that works on Opera and on Win 8? I have always hated third party managers but it looks like that is what I need for Opera. I am using Opera for all downloads even though Fx is my default browser because the Proxomitron is limiting download speed drastically (only on Win 8 - XP computer is unaffected) so I did a direct connection to the internet on Opera only and have been getting downloads at top speed for my connection this way so I don't want a third party download manager that will mess that speed up. I just need for the list of downloads to be kept for as long as I want.
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut

Premium Member

I just came in this morning to my computer rebooting from last nights updates and my download list still contains everything for the last week. The download "list" is stored in your operaprofile/download.dat file. Could there have been a change in anything outside of opera that may be preventing this file from being stored/ saved? Since you mention it sees prior to the 10th on start, It almost seems to me that the current running opera on startup is reading on the old file from one location and then writing a different file when a new download occurs. This new file is is then deleted on reboot. If this is on a win7/8 system it usually indicates a change in permissions/user account. For example: it is reading the download.dat file from teh program files directory but writing the new one to the virtual store due to write permissions.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

No changes in permission. I can't stand that garbage called UAC which has ruined all OSes since XP Pro. This is a Win 8 Pro computer and I immediately and permanently disabled UAC in the registry (hate Microsoft for punishing me for doing that by not allowing me to use any Metro Apps but they are garbage anyway so it doesn't really matter that Microsoft is so petty). At any rate, I run as Admin. I would never allow anyone else to touch my PERSONAL computer (except a Dell tech dispatched to my home next business day to repair the computer) so nothing has changed as far as permissions go.

I believe the problem is that Opera cannot run properly on Win 8. I have the same version of Opera on my XP Pro computer where it runs fine...no problems. On this horrible Win 8 OS, Opera has a bunch of problems. I looked at the contents of the .dat file that contains the list of downloads and it shows two downloads from before the 11th (both on the 9th).

The downloads list should KEEP ALL downloads INDEFINITELY. Where are all the ones before the 9th? (Much less all the missing ones from Microsoft on the 14th and the daily Windows defender definitions that are missing). Besides this current problem, Opera was not keeping the list long enough....is there a place in Opera:config where I can specify that the list be kept forever or until I specifically delete entries?
rfnut
Premium Member
Fisher, IL

rfnut

Premium Member

I do not know of any settings that would do that. I do know that disabling UAC would not have any affect on the file permissions and write locations, so I assume it is just that. Generally on any multiuser system ( even a single user if you use a regular logon) where I want things back the old way, I change cache locations to a public or everyone RW Directory. Not the most "secure" per say but ok in my environments. Also if during install you are asked if "for eveyone" or just the current user, I always use everyone, as I do not have multiple users. Then change permissions on the created default profile folder for everyone to RW.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

There are no restrictions on that file as far as permissions. There is no login as I have no password on this admin account and, if I find many problems due to some hidden crap about my admin account having any restrictions, I will just start using the hidden default admin account which of course I unhid wheb I got the computer. With Vista, I did have to switch to using the default hidden admin account all the time because, unlike with XP, it is the only real admin account.

Something, maybe one of the patches, changed Opera so it is not saving the download list. I need to know what that is so I can fix it. Or, I need to know what download manager works well with Opera on this awful Win 8.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Come to think of it maybe Mele's not crazy. I haven't yet upgraded to 12.15 (12.14 didn't cause any problems for me) but my downloads list has been rather empty lately, and after a reboot the other day, it is empty. Thing is, I'm using the same "install" of portable-mode Opera that I used in XP. Maybe there's something to Mele's claim.

Maybe it's worth an experiment this weekend, if I have time. Swapping OS is a simple matter of changing a bios setting, and I needed to boot to XP for a while anyway. My cheapo video capture device doesn't work in 8.

Although I do wonder why a highly privacy-minded person such as Mele even wants to keep her download history.
rfnut
Premium Member
Fisher, IL

rfnut to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Well for the record, my downloads only go back to may 10th. I am running opera 12.15 x64. Default install. Win 7 64 enterprise BUT it survived a reboot. My changelog from the 8th to the 10th only show an adobe update, av update and an install on the xp mode. Nothing that should have done this. Ill have to look a little closer as well.