Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cablevision shelves mobile phone plan

»www.fiercecable.com/story/cablev···13-05-15

"While fellow cable MSOs Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA), Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC), Cox Communications and Bright House have struck deals with Verizon Wireless (NYSE: VZ) that allow them to market quadruple plays of video, high-speed data and landline and mobile phone service to subscribers, Seibert said Cablevision believes it doesn't need a mobile phone product in its portfolio. "I'm not a big believer in the quad play," Seibert said. "I'll leave it to our friends at Comcast and Time Warner Cable… to comment on how successful that has been in their footprint," he added."

Did anyone really think this would come to fruition? I certainly didn't.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

No. Cablevision has had at least one other failed attempt in what I believe was called North Coast Partners back around 2000-2001. That never got off the ground.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

I think this is a good thing. They should stick to what they know.

Plus with Google Voice and the Talkatone app, I already have free wifi calling.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
reply to kickass69

But CV and VZ are such good friends. Guess they couldn't quite agree on terms.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

said by jaa:

But CV and VZ are such good friends. Guess they couldn't quite agree on terms.

Sarcasm?

modum

@optonline.net
reply to kickass69

Cable companies in Canada seem to do well with cell phones. Rogers is one of the biggest in the country.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to kickass69

CV wanted to use Sprint, who up here anyway, has nonexistent signal. I believe we' re better off if they didn't get into that venue. We can do better with MVNO's using the signal that works best in our area.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to kickass69

Or continue to shed baggage to be a better target for a buyout?
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

or go private very possible

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY
kudos:1
reply to momcat1

said by momcat1:

CV wanted to use Sprint, who up here anyway, has nonexistent signal. I believe we' re better off if they didn't get into that venue. We can do better with MVNO's using the signal that works best in our area.

Theres plenty of sprint signal here, it just only works outdoors

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

It only works outdoors, and it only works near Route 9, not I-84 and not the Taconic. If I only go near Route 9 once or twice a year, that's pretty much non-existent to me. YMMV

xirian
Premium
Beacon, NY

said by momcat1:

It only works outdoors, and it only works near Route 9, not I-84 and not the Taconic. If I only go near Route 9 once or twice a year, that's pretty much non-existent to me. YMMV

most don't work well near the taconic. I remember reading a while that NIMBY type people were refusing a tower near it because they were worried about their home values.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

They have been. ATT and (ugh) Verizon work well enough to use there.

Roaming

@151.190.40.x

I thought Sprint roamed on Verizon.

xirian
Premium
Beacon, NY

said by Roaming :

They do, but if theres even a useless slight bit of sprint signal it sticks with sprint unless you turn it to roaming only.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

said by xirian:

said by Roaming :

They do, but if theres even a useless slight bit of sprint signal it sticks with sprint unless you turn it to roaming only.

No they don't! Do you listen to everything they throw at you? They don't even use the same technology in their towers or their phones

fone

@optonline.net

Sprint and Verizon Wireless are both CDMA.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

really? Last time I checked, Sprint was still TDMA. Of course, with no nearby towers, I don't consider them to be a serious contender, either.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

I'm pretty sure Sprint always used CDMA, like Verizon.

AT&T (formerly Cingular and Cellular One) used TDMA, but that network was decommissioned by early 2008 and repurposed as GSM.

xirian
Premium
Beacon, NY
reply to momcat1

said by momcat1:

really? Last time I checked, Sprint was still TDMA. Of course, with no nearby towers, I don't consider them to be a serious contender, either.

Sprint and verizon are both cdma. When I had sprint it would say verizon all the time before they forced it to always say sprint.