XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus

Premium Member

[Mobile] CDMA data connectivity question

Hi,

I wasn't sure how to word this in the subject.

Basically what I want to know is how come with CDMA on my new Sprint phone (a Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.2.2) it won't automatically 'jump' to 3G when I'm in an area with 3G and I'm on 1X?

On GSM AT&T, my Galaxy Nexus would automatically switch network technologies (e.g. HSPA+, HSDPA) when a 'higher form' one was available in the area.

Don't get me wrong, I like having stable connectivity, but shouldn't Sprint be 'stepping up' to 3G when it's available - I mean, when 3G isn't available my phone automatically steps down to 1X.

Right now, the only way I can switch back to 3G connectivity in an area with 3G is if I toggle the cellular radio myself (e.g. Airplane Mode).

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

1xRTT is 3G.

This sounds like an issue with the radio firmware... I would let sprint know so they can let the mfg know.

XANAVirus
Premium Member
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus

Premium Member

How is 1XRTT 3G? *confused*
What does that make the 3G indicator on my GS4?

My phone has separate indicators for '3G' and 1X. Now, I'm confused as to what's what on CDMA.

As for radio firmware, is that fixable by updating my profile or PRL?
If not, I will call Sprint and ask about it.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

toby to XANAVirus

to XANAVirus
Download this great app, it will tell you the signal strength of the mode you are connected on.
»play.google.com/store/ap ··· hecklite

1xRTT is 3G, as is EVDO.

Usually you will be on 1xRTT on a weak signal, and at 1xRTT speeds when you're roaming on Verizon.

You might be on Shentel and not Sprint where you live, they are building out LTE too.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to XANAVirus

to XANAVirus
said by XANAVirus:

How is 1XRTT 3G? *confused*
What does that make the 3G indicator on my GS4?

My phone has separate indicators for '3G' and 1X. Now, I'm confused as to what's what on CDMA.

As for radio firmware, is that fixable by updating my profile or PRL?
If not, I will call Sprint and ask about it.

CDMA's 2nd generation was called IS-95. CDMA's 3rd generation was called 1xRTT (EVDO got tossed in with 3G as well, I even heard a sprint rep call it 3.5G ). 2G 3G 4G etc are supposed to refer to the generation of technology... CDMA providers were on the 3rd generation for many years before the GSM providers got to 3G... which is why it seems weird that a slower service can actually be 3G.

Sounds like samsung just jumped on the marketing hype bandwagon, that is they are referring to speed as a generation, instead of referring to a generation as a generation For example did you know that not one of the current 4G technologies actually meets the required specs for 4G? It's true... but will that stop a marketing department? Nope.

A PRL will most likely not fix the issue, but do report it so they will realize that it is not falling forward properly... most likely the fix will happen in a firmware.

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby

Yeah the 'G' term doesn't mean much, its mostly used for marketing, but people do love the term '4G', even though the speeds might end up being slower than other 'Gs'

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to XANAVirus

Premium Member

to XANAVirus
said by XANAVirus:

it won't automatically 'jump' to 3G when I'm in an area with 3G and I'm on 1X?

How are you sure you are in a "3G" / EVDO area versus the 1XRTT you are on? Is it possible you are roaming on verizon or some other CDMA carrier in that spot?

XANAVirus
Premium Member
Lavalette, WV

1 edit

XANAVirus

Premium Member

I don't have roaming enabled on my phone. Various apps on my phone tell me the exact network I'm on (e.g. Network Signal Info, LTE Discovery, just two of those said apps).

I use Sensorly and other such apps to map out and see available coverage in any specific area. And the area I'm in where I step down to 1X, Sprint's coverage map says it's a '3G' area.

I'm positive I'm on Sprint only.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Does your account literally have no roaming included, as in an old rate plan or did you simply select "Home Only" in the settings, or did you select EVDO within the phones hidden menus?

With the network upgrades comes another network settings that is available and that is called "eHRPD"...this is the technology that allows EVDO / LTE handoffs and such.

For network type the diagnostic apps will show "eHRPD" instead of "EVDO Rev A" or "1xRTT".

You need to have the "eHRPD" plan code on yuor account though to connect to it I believe since it is listed as a specific add on for my account.....have you ever noticed being connected to this network type? I wonder if it wasnt allowed by your plan or wasnt added if it wouldnt let you connect and fall back to 1xRTT?

As for sensorly, are you sure the coverage mapped out is actually EVDO? The signal bars on the phones only show signal strength for 1xRTT...if the phones will not accurately display the strength I am not sure sensorly would be able to get that data any better...so it is possible sensorly is simply mapping the results you see...1xRTT when users in the area upload and share results.

XANAVirus
Premium Member
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus

Premium Member

Re: [Mobile] CDMA'S data connectivity question

I simply selected 'Auto: No Roaming' in the Android settings menu.

In the hidden (*#*#TEST#*#*) menu, 'LTE/CDMA Auto (PRL)' is selected.

I have never ever noticed being connected to eHRPD, but that might require me to in an LTE area, which I am nowhere near (I'm hoping it might come here soon).

The only networks my phone connects to, other than Wifi, are EVDO Rev.A and 1XRTT.

I do have 'unlimited' 4G data (LTE, I presume), though, so when or if it comes to my area or I come to an area where it is I should be able to get it.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by XANAVirus:

I have never ever noticed being connected to eHRPD, but that might require me to in an LTE area, which I am nowhere near (I'm hoping it might come here soon).

eHRPD is in most areas as far as I know. I even have it up here and LTE is a long ways away....although the adjacent market (boston) has LTE so maybe that has something to do with it? Not sure.

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby to XANAVirus

to XANAVirus

Re: [Mobile] CDMA data connectivity question

eHRPD is needed to be on the cell site to allow for seamless network connections, so you can continue a network connection as you transition for EVDO(3G) to LTE(4G) to EVDO(3G) as you travel.

eHRPD means that the site has been or is ready to be upgraded.