All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MikeJrod
join:2001-03-14
Milwaukee, WI

MikeJrod

[Mobile] Anyone switch iPhone from AT&T to T-mobile?

Just curious if anyone has ported their iPhone from AT&T to T-mobile. I've read that they are able to do it, and the T-Mobile no-contract plans are much cheaper. Even with a work discount, I'm paying $76 for the lightest plan with AT&T. If it is easy to switch, saving almost $30 a month will add up to a new phone fairly quickly.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Your best bet is Net10 if you are looking for prepaid. You can pick up the SIM kit at Best Buy and you'll stay on the AT&T network but at $50 per month.

MikeJrod
join:2001-03-14
Milwaukee, WI

MikeJrod

The majority of the reviews for Net 10 are not very good. Anyone have experience with this company?
DruX
join:2010-08-18
South Bend, IN

DruX to MikeJrod

to MikeJrod
MikeJrod, I have an AT&T Galaxy S3 on T-Mobile, I suppose the only slightly difficult part would be getting your iPhone unlocked.

More importantly, which iPhone do you have? 4, 4s, 5? Any will work for voice, text, and 2G. However, whether you can get 3G/4G data will depend on your iPhone model and current location.

If you don't talk on the phone much, T-Mobile does offer a $30 plan with 100 mins, unlimited texting, and 5gigs of data for new customers only.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to MikeJrod

Premium Member

to MikeJrod
said by MikeJrod:

The majority of the reviews for Net 10 are not very good. Anyone have experience with this company?

Net10 is just another division of TracFone, they've been around forever. Their prepaid SIM plan is the same as Straight Talk (minus an AT&T data limit), we use both in my house without issue.

RobNyc
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY

RobNyc to MikeJrod

Premium Member

to MikeJrod
I was a ST (att sim) customer for 2yrs on a iPhone 4 and 4s.
After trying out the new T-Mobile iPhone5 with tmo prepaid service in NYC, Phoenix & Vegas. I got a taste of LTE over in PHX & LV getting 20-25mbps down. Back in NYC, average speed were 8-15mbps down.

T-Mobile PrePaid was for a month, it was decent much better than my Sprint (contract phone blackberry) but now I upgraded to Sprint iPhone5 (Without contract) since i'm leaving them in August 2013 when it expires. I can say T-Mo is much better than Sprint a year ago I would of said they were the same (bad).

This weekend I switched from StraightTalk ATT to ST tmo side. First day had some issues until I did a network reset on the i5. Been enjoying 10-15mbps down on ST tmo sim. At this point I'm testing to see the ST Tmo data limit if it exist, as I was aware there was a 2gb data limit on their ATT side.

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis to MikeJrod

Premium Member

to MikeJrod
Someone already commented on the fact that T-Mo is 2G only for most iPhone models... and no, it's not tolerable ... I did it for a few months and it was really awful...

I pay $53.13/mo for AT&T GoPhone SIM w/ my iPhone 4. I have the $25 plan which gives 250 mins, unlimited txt, and then I add a $25 1GB data package.

If you're running iOS 4 or earlier you don't even need to be unlocked or jailbroken, you can set the APN info.

If you're running iOS 5 then you need to unlocked (but not jailbroken) because you have to insert a non-AT&T SIM in order to force the phone to show you the APN settings page to enter the GoPhone stuff. I used my old T-Mo SIM for it, it was 5 min job...
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by bemis:

I pay $53.13/mo for AT&T GoPhone SIM w/ my iPhone 4. I have the $25 plan which gives 250 mins, unlimited txt, and then I add a $25 1GB data package.

what speeds are you getting with this plan? is it HSPA+

bemis
Premium Member
united state

bemis

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

what speeds are you getting with this plan? is it HSPA+

It's an iPhone 4, so there is no LTE.

With 4/5 bars in my house the "Xtreme Speedtest" app says I had an average of 2853Kbps down, 494kbps up and 145ms latency.

As a user, it's "fast" feeling to me, never have much of an issue.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

1 recommendation

medbuyer to MikeJrod

to MikeJrod
finally made the switch to Tmobile's $30 a month plan...sold my iphone 4 and got me a Tmobile S4 unit..so far so good...
alrandolph
join:2004-07-11
Jersey City, NJ

alrandolph to MikeJrod

to MikeJrod
i have Net10 service with ATT, no problems there, my problem is that I can't receive MMS, even with Net10 support trying to help me, I have a ATT Samsung SIII, so if you google 'tfdata apn setting" you will see what problems some people are having.

Porting out shortly to Gophone.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

said by alrandolph:

i have Net10 service with ATT, no problems there, my problem is that I can't receive MMS, even with Net10 support trying to help me, I have a ATT Samsung SIII, so if you google 'tfdata apn setting" you will see what problems some people are having.

Porting out shortly to Gophone.

Are you on their SIM plan? I've had no trouble with MMS with Net10/AT&T with either a Galaxy Nexus or a Nexus 4. I just used the MMS APN setting from the web site.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to bemis

Premium Member

to bemis
said by bemis:

Someone already commented on the fact that T-Mo is 2G only for most iPhone models...

In many markets, T-Mobile is refarming their spectrum to make their HSPA+ available to unlocked AT&T iPhones (and other phones). So, in those markets (and eventually all their markets), those phones will enjoy high speed data much faster than 2G.

bemis
Premium Member
united state

bemis

Premium Member

Keep in mind iPhone versions have different radios right? So what a 5 can do, a 4 may not.

In my case AT&T once again switched up their data plan so I said screw it and left them.

I ended up with an HTC One on T-Mo ... so far the T-Mo service is great because they allow WiFi to replace good cell coverage on this phone--in the lab at work I had 0-1 bars of AT&T and I have a solid 0 bars with T-Mo, but the phone works fantastically because I have access to a WiFi signal. The same is true at home--I have 0 bars of service, but the phone works great w/ WiFi. So far have not run into a situation where I'm "out" and have not had service on the phone--tho occasionally I've found I'm in 2G area only which is intolerable now that I'm used to 4G/WiFi speeds.

My monthly bill is higher, but that is mostly because I'm paying for the phone...