spc
Search similar:

uniqs
merryheart
join:2013-05-16
Norman, OK

merryheart

[General] Email Password Recognition Problem

My AT&T email account does not recognize my password in Windows Live Mail. I'm sure I am typing my password correctly because it works when I go to yahoo mail. Is there a way to confirm my email account so it will recognize the password? I don't want to have to go to yahoo.mail.com (web mail) to check my email because I have several email accounts, and Windows Live shows them all at the same time. This same problem happens with AT&T every time I make any kind of change to my account. What's with that? Please help.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by merryheart:

My AT&T email account does not recognize my password in Windows Live Mail. I'm sure I am typing my password correctly because it works when I go to yahoo mail. Is there a way to confirm my email account so it will recognize the password? I don't want to have to go to yahoo.mail.com (web mail) to check my email because I have several email accounts, and Windows Live shows them all at the same time. This same problem happens with AT&T every time I make any kind of change to my account. What's with that? Please help.

I see an implication in your post that you may have recently changed something, and that can indeed sometimes take time to propagate, but usually, the webmail site is the first to accept the new authentication if that gets changed. POP, SMTP, IMAP, and WiFi access authentication can sometimes take several days to synchronize after an account change.

If you want to verify that the account works for POP access, but perhaps there is something borked with the Windows Live client, you can try a telnet test:

webhost:/ # telnet inbound.att.net 110
Trying 98.139.213.175...
Connected to inbound.att.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK hello from popgate-0.8.0.357900 pop116.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
user MyName@att.net
+OK password required.
pass MyPassword
+OK maildrop ready, 0 messages (0 octets) (0)
quit
+OK server signing off.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Of course, you will need to substitute your own actual email account credentials where I used "MyName@att.net" and "MyPassword". Yes, I edited the displayed telnet session for obvious security reasons.