davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to xenophon

Re: National infrastructure

Google Fiber employees learned a lot of lessons from the first round of KCKS and KCMO Fiberhood signup processes. How different socioeconomic groups view internet service. How those groups use "trusted" community "leaders" for advice. How fast different groups make decisions. How badly databases for multi-family dwellings are maintained by the government and the private sector. The legal limitations on using public school systems to promote a private enterprise. How to do community outreach in a community far more diverse than Google initially imagined. What it is like to live and work under true winter weather conditions. They developed some innovative solutions, like the 5Mbps service alternative, and lower cost alternative TV video package, to help solve some of those issues to some extent. Initially they never intended to exclude any neighborhood. The Fiberhood signup system was seen as a fun way to introduce friendly competition into the process. While it did do that, it also exposed serious problems that have existed in the area for decades.

If I had been in charge of the Google Fiber project, I would have partnered with the electric power company and used their right of way authority to completely build out the FTTH grid as a smart power grid project. That allows you to go to every electrical power box on private property, and attach a FTTH NID box to it. No exceptions. You have one pair of fiber strands for the smart grid You just happen to run, to each power box/NID box, enough extra pairs of fiber strands to handle internet, video, and voice. This is similar to the way EPB Fiber did it in Chattanooga TN. Then the basic service call only involves going from the NID to one point inside the residence with an Ethernet connection. Any additional Ethernet connection points would be extra cost to the subscriber.

I think the future Fiberhood signup rallies will go much better because the communities will have been able to see what happened in KCKS ans KCMO. They can be better prepared to do signups, which should result in a much lower percentage of Fiberhoods not reaching their goal during the first time they do a signup rally. I also think that Google Fiber will have to get their business offerings and signup processes out much sooner. The failure to do that hurt them in KCMO and KCKS. Small and medium sized businesses might have been much more enthusiastic and influential, if they had been part of the initially registration process.