uniqs

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Graphic issue - looking for thoughts

Just looking for some thoughts, I am having this issue with random graphic artifacts, example, TF2 will randomly freeze with blue dots on the screen, when not in the game, and this is on the desktop, I can see little lines flashing randomly on the screen. At first, it was lines flashing after closing something like YouTube lines would flash on the screen as well. I was using an XFX 6670, called them, explained the issue and they thought it was a bad card, I ended up going to Compusa to pick up another card, and still seeing the same symptoms. I am thinking the motherboard may be failing and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or thoughts.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

So a completely different video card, and it's still happening. Anything related to the motherboard can also be related to the processor, and memory. Why don't you start with a memory test. Memtest is one of them, you boot from a cd/dvd you burn, and let it run at least twice as I've seen memory pass the first scan, but fail a second test in a row. Some package computers have their own diagnostics also, and again run the memory test at least twice in a row back to back.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

I did run memtest a week or so ago, didn't let it fully run though, about 10-15 min, in my experience it usually throws up errors within that time frame but I will do a full one this weekend and see what happens.
Cheese

Cheese

Premium Member

Oh, and if any mods read this, I didn't get a notification that this post was replied to, seems to have been this way since that last major outage/crash the site had. Can someone look into this?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
If a memory test is throwing up errors that usually means the memory is bad, and any program going to use that memory can be corrupted including the operating system. If the memory test is on your hdd, or was burned on that system burn memtest on another computer without these issues, then run the test again.

If the system uses DDR2 I suggest you buy a new computer unless you know people who have cheap used DDR2, and if you replace the memory run memtest again after installation. Trying to install an os with bad memory usually produces bad results also.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

I am fully aware that memory is bad if it throws an error, it could also indicate a bad memory slot as well. That has happened to me before. And it's DDR3, I built the machine.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
said by Cheese:

I ended up going to Compusa to pick up another card, and still seeing the same symptoms.

The second card - was it using the same drivers that were loaded for the first card?
Or did you wipe and start again?

If it was all a fresh start with the second card, I'd try looking into a wipe and pave of the O/S.
Reason being, the latest ntfs.sys update off Microsoft and a test with Kaspersky found user profiles were not playing properly and I was getting artefacts as well, although on a NVidia card.

I'm not happy with what research Microsoft did with that ntfs.sys update before releasing it to the masses and all the troubles it caused.

Worth looking into before paying for new hardware.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Wiped and started clean
Cheese

Cheese

Premium Member

actually just made a small video of some of the symptoms

www.darkimpulse.net/video.mp4

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

It maybe just a hardware issue - maybe list all your hardware specs and O/S for review.

All I know, my issue with freezing screens and pix-elated screen resolution was fixed by starting fresh due to user profile issues that started with the latest Microsoft ntfs.sys update...bit of a long road to test if you do not have an image or a back up prior to April's updates to test with.

Best of luck.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

I have no issues formatting and starting fresh, running memtest right now to see if that comes up with anything, next I'll wipe it and reinstall the os. I can post specs before I do that that though.
Cheese

Cheese

Premium Member

oh, and when I said I wiped and started clean, I meant the drivers, not the os itself.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Understood the first time.

Another test is the video ram - memtest only does the motherboard ram
»mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php

If you get the same results; as in a fail; you may find it is closer to the channel on the board than the ram, unless the new card has faulty ram as well.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

So memtest passed, going to reinstall 7 today
Cheese

Cheese

Premium Member

Formatted, doing updates now, will see how the day goes!
Cheese

Cheese

Premium Member

All updates done, so far no glitch yet... will update later tonight.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
said by Cheese:

Formatted, doing updates now, will see how the day goes!

Look forward to your results and thank you for helping test this theory, ntfs.sys is a serious file to be adjusting and Microsoft have already proved they did not do enough homework on this one.

There more that can help the discussion, the better off we all will be.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Ok, so I noticed the lines this morning while scrolling in Firefox. I thought it might be just Firefox so I minimized it and started scrolling. The lines show up just like it did in the video. Same spot too.

As for specs :

Motherboard : BIOSTAR Group TA870U3+
CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Memory : 8g DDR3
GPU : AMD Radeon HD 6570 [Display adapter]
AMD Radeon HD 6670 [Display adapter]
Sound : Creative SB X-Fi
HDD/ODD :

712.73 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
524.34 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS15 ATA Device [Optical drive]

KINGSTON SV200S364G [Hard drive] (64.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 425A30MKKGQK, rev E120506a, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 3, s/n WD-WCAYUE330457, rev 15.01H15, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD740GD-00FLA0 [Hard drive] (74.36 GB) -- drive 1, rev 21.08U21, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD740GD-00FLC0 [Hard drive] (74.36 GB) -- drive 2, rev 33.08F33, SMART Status: Healthy

Corsair 600W

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
Seeing you tried multiple cards and drivers...
Think it might be the slot you're plugged into?
One other thing comes to mind. If your bios supports clock speed on the slot the display board is plugged into... Intentionally Reduce the clock speed to see if that changes anything..

I'd also double check the aux power connections to the display card if it has them.... and verify your supply can support that extra load with headroom based on age of supply, etc.. (By this I mean a 600W supply should not be rated at 600W but less than that, 3 years later)

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

I just put the second card in yesterday and it was doing this before that. Also, the cards don't require any extra power, they are powered by the slot itself. And it can support it, it's been working fine up until recently.

And as for the slot, it *could* be the slot, I don't know if I can use the second by itself.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Buss powered display cards are an issue... It could be contact related.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

The PSU is a GS600
Cheese

Cheese

Premium Member

I was in the bios a bit earlier checking something out, and in the hardware health option, I noticed my CPU temps were jumping wildly and randomly. Also the CPU fan speed kept changing from different speeds to none and back and forth. I did a smart fan calibration and it seems to have fixed that issue in the bios and haven't seem the lines yet while scrolling. I will keep an eye out though.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

2 edits

Jan Janowski to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
CPU chip or Motherboard Temps? either being high will cause data issues between things like PCIE slot to ram/or disk/ or _______.

Originally I was going to suggest you increase fan speed on display card, in case that was overheating, until you tried 2nd card.... You're onto something....

You could be seeing the CPU downshift in Frequency, to cool down, and it would show as a glitch in video, because the card (Due to downshifted FQ) couldn't process the data fast enough....

Concentrate on Cooling for now...

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

CPU
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
Firefox by default uses gpu acceleration, but you saw the problem in other applications previously too, however this more than likely shows an issue related to the graphics card/drivers. While it may not be related, I have seen how two programs both using gpu acceleration can cause what seemed to be gpu memory corruption, and yes the gpu memory tested fine. In my case running flash, and a gpu accelerated game at the same time caused the game to crash. I was forced to disable gpu acceleration in flash to fix this until flash, and the video card drivers could be updated.

I've never seen a cpu fan turn itself off for pathetic power savings. I also use msi afterburner to change the scale of my gpu fan, I don't like it reaching high temps, and then the fan speeding up after it's really hot, so the fan scales with the temperature to keep it cooler.
BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus to Jan Janowski

Premium Member

to Jan Janowski
It was discussed that automatic underclocking in processors can effect software, if this feature can be disabled in the bios it might be worth trying.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
Except, I have FF open all the time when playing my games and this issue is recent.

Not sure what the issue was in the BIOS, it was weird, never saw that before but so far the lines at least on the screen haven't happened since I did that smart fan calibration.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

My issue was a sudden onset also, flash got updated, and all of a sudden my game started crashing quite randomly, it would just crash out. So I realized what got updated, what changed, and was able to troubleshoot it down to gpu acceleration in flash. Many sites run flash, some do it behind the scenes with hidden flash objects like music steaming sites.

You never know when an update will conflict with legacy, and when people who update something blame legacy when they change something.....

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Still doing it...sigh. I guess next is swap out the mobo, it's going to be the cheapest part to replace first.