uniqs

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

3 recommendations

Sunny to rusdi

to rusdi

Re: I am so sorry

As for throwing walking aids away, I keep dreaming that I take off walking and get in trouble with everybody because I am not supposed to. I must be starting to feel capable because I started to do that yesterday for real, caught myself before the walker was out of reach.

It felt good. The only downsides for me right now are:

1. At the grocery store, I can't figure out how to push a grocery cart without hands free, so shopping on my own for much of anything must wait until I have adult supervision. I am not getting back into one of those dangerous go carts and, besides, they have little tiny baskets. :/

Even with all the efforts made to make our country more accessible for the handicapped, we really aren't there yet.

2. Learning to go up and down the stairs with crutches is pointless because I always have a big tall kitchen plastic bag full of things that need to go up or down with me, usually too much for a backpack.

I'll deal with it, however. Four weeks goes much faster now than it did at first. I am now making a list of all the things I can do I couldn't do before.

I went out front this morning meaning to try to wrestle the big yard waste dumpster up the driveway incline where it could be picked up by the collectors. It was doubtful since I knew it was packed with grass clippings and very heavy, but I had to try because my daughter has both back and foot problems.

At first I thought somebody had stolen my yard waste dumpster, but it seems nobody wanted it. Apparently Dr. Tom's yard maintenance services had placed it at the curb in the early morning dark time hours. I might have known.

Have a great day everyone. My home PT comes today to change up my exercise routine. I may at least need to start adding some weights to what I do already. In days to come I have an idea for a great way for me to have a fun, safe, venture out of the house. I'll let you know if it is a success.

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

howieh

MVM

Do you have or have you tried using a rollator? When I needed something for support, I preferred the rollator to a walker as it has a seat that you can use to stop and rest anytime during a walk. Most rollators come with a basket under the seat that I would load up with weights to provide more resistance. I got mine from Walmart.com, prices begin at about $70. Mine was cheap and I haven't had any problems with it.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

I did look at those awhile back as a possibility. I think the thought went out of my mind because I really expected to be full weight bearing at about now. Perhaps I should reconsider since I know I am directed to use assistance for at least four more weeks.

I do have a couple on my wish list at Amazon, but they are pretty expensive. I think you are pointing at a Drive. I was looking at Hugo. I'm not sure the extra expense is merited for someone who is only looking at short term use, though.

I'm trying right now not to think of my Precor AMT because I absolutely loved working out on that machine and, especially, what it did for my health.

Ah well, I'll try to think in the zone of reality for now.

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

howieh

MVM

The only features that I consider important are locking brakes, I believe that they all have them and I wouldn't want to try to sit or then stand without having the brakes locked. The other feature is padding over the bar that becomes your back support when you are sitting, not all rollators come with a padded bar.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

Howie, I was looking at the Hugo because of the wheels, bigger than on any of the others and they look like the wheels on wheel chairs. I was thinking that one most likely to allow me to get out in my yard, to spray weed killer and do some pruning. The terrain out there is much too rough for the walker(s) I have been using indoors.

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
Metuchen, NJ

howieh

MVM

This is what I bought:

»www.walmart.com/ip/Carex ··· v2=true&

and I can assure that it does not perform well in rough terrain. The item description indicates that it has oversized 6" wheels.

Gizmo
Trust Me I'm a Professional
MVM
join:2000-08-19
In Your Mind
ARRIS NVG589

1 recommendation

Gizmo to Sunny

MVM

to Sunny
said by Sunny:

Ah well, I'll try to think in the zone for now.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to Sunny

MVM

to Sunny
Hey Sorto, please take it slow. The thought of you running around in rough terrain with an off-road wheely-thingy is even more scary then Gizmo's warning sign! Please be careful and don't forget that you are still recovering.

I'm pleased to hear about your increased mobility and wish you speedy and full recovery.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny to howieh

to howieh
This appears to be the Cadillac of rollators (on Amazon). Well, you can pay even more to get the bag that fits on the front, but I already have one of those.

»amazon.com/Hugo-Portable ··· bs_hpc_5

If I could be sure it would let me get around in my yard safely, I would buy it because I could then do a number of things my neighbors are going to feel they need to do for me if I can't.

I don't see anyone really talking about that problem in the reviews, though.

I suppose if I am indecisive long enough, the problem will just go away. OTOH, Dr. Tom says that will be a dangerous place for me for, probably, another 5-8 months. Just because I begin walking again, doesn't mean my muscles will give me the control I once had, takes time to build those back.

This has certainly been a learning experience.
Sunny

1 recommendation

Sunny to leibold

to leibold
Don't worry. I'm just talking at this point, but I tend to be rather cautious in reality. Beyond that, Dr. Tom told me lawn services are in effect until at least December 2013 and we will "need to negotiate when it will be safe" for me to get back in my yard.

He's a riot, especially when he knows I know his little bitty Italian wife gives the orders in his household. And he loves it.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

3 recommendations

rfhar to Sunny

Premium Member

to Sunny
said by Sunny:

This appears to be the Cadillac of rollators (on Amazon). Well, you can pay even more to get the bag that fits on the front, but I already have one of those.

»amazon.com/Hugo-Portable ··· bs_hpc_5

Sorto,
My wife has two walkers as of her back problems last spring. One is the four legged type the small wheels on the fount that people put tennis balls on the back legs and the other the four wheeled type with a basket. we use the first one when we go most places in the car as it fits in the back seat nicely where the four wheeled one takes most of the trunk. But the four wheeled one goes with her when she goes shopping in the mall etc, as she can stop and sit on it. it also is the one that she uses around the house. the seat is very handy to carry stuff when going from room to room or setting the table for a meal. She also used it to go across the field to watch the grand kid play soccer last spring but now both her back and knees are both getting real bad. the large wheels do move over grass better and will help you get around the yard. She goes out into the yard with hers when the handicapped daughter comes over and they get a lot of work done which helps them both.

i have my desktop in for repair and this net book is a cuss-word. it is so slow and does funny things like close Fx when I have spent 15-20 minutes typing a post. My five thumbs do not like it at all but at least I can get on the net. it took me most of an hour to get this post done.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

4 recommendations

Icarus to Sunny

Mod

to Sunny
Click for full size
Here ya go!
Expand your moderator at work

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

1 recommendation

Sunny to rfhar

to rfhar

Re: I am so sorry

Thanks for all the info, Ron. I'm so sorry it required so much effort, though.

It's hard to decide since (I hope) I shouldn't be needing this long term. Still, Bridge Ministries in my area receives donated equipment, sanitizes and then allows people to borrow it for whatever donation they can afford. I could always donate to them when I am done.
Sunny

Sunny to Icarus

to Icarus
Link to purchase, please?

Gizmo
MVM
In Your Mind
ARRIS NVG589

3 recommendations

Gizmo

MVM

We need to do some custom work on that walker so you can drag race....................................

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

1 recommendation

Icarus to Sunny

Mod

to Sunny
said by Sunny:

I think Russ could build ya one custom!

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny to Gizmo

to Gizmo
Vroooom, vroooom!
Sunny

Sunny to Icarus

to Icarus
said by Icarus:

said by Sunny:

I think Russ could build ya one custom!

Go, Russie! Maybe that would keep him from rebuilding that bike, getting out there to hurt himself again.

Gizmo
MVM
In Your Mind
ARRIS NVG589

4 recommendations

Gizmo to Sunny

MVM

to Sunny

Having trouble walking??? --The ULTIMATE gas powered walker......................................

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

Wow, Giz, that looks fun! Does it climb stairs?

i was just coming back here to say this one might be a bit of an overkill?

»amazon.com/Rolyn-Prest-P ··· 5&sr=1-1

TwoFrogs
Times Fun when You're Having Flies
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Redlands, CA

TwoFrogs

MVM

said by Sunny:

i was just coming back here to say this one might be a bit of an overkill?

»amazon.com/Rolyn-Prest-P ··· 5&sr=1-1

Gee, you're saving $7.5K, I don't see how you can afford not to buy it.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

That's what I saw, Froggie! I don't believe I've ever seen a mark down like that!