Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Black20VT

join:2003-05-30
UK

[Help] Post message download SPAM scan

Not sure if this belongs here, or in security...?

Basically I'm changing a customer from POP to IMAP, so want to copy all their existing email to the server from their PC.

However, due to a lack of any SPAM filtering, they've a large percentage of SPAM mixed in with HAM within Outlook.

So I'm looking for a program that can run across these messages to clean up the Inbox before copying the messages over.

Does anyone know of such software, or can offer any other ideas or options?

Thanks.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

A Bayesian filter would be ideal:

»keir.net/k9.html
»spambayes.sourceforge.ne ··· dex.html

Sourceforge has several other Bayesian filters, as well.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Black20VT

UK
said by NormanS:

A Bayesian filter would be ideal:

»keir.net/k9.html
»spambayes.sourceforge.ne ··· dex.html

Sourceforge has several other Bayesian filters, as well.

I did look at those, however, I was unable to see how I can simply run it over thousands of messages sitting in the Inbox in Outlook and more the SPAM to another folder without needing training etc?

Ideally, I'm looking for a simple program that'll scan all the messages in the Inbox of Outlook that have been downloaded by POP and keep HAM in the Inbox and move SPAM to another folder. HAM can be copied to the new IMAP account and SPAM just discarded, after a quick check.

Does such a program exist?

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Business..
·Cingular Wireless
One man's SPAM is another man's tasty hickory smoked HAM.

Do you really want to trust some program to automatically delete email messages that your customer might really want to keep?

The customer must have had some reason (however bizarre it might seem to you) for keeping large quantities of what you consider to be spam instead of simply deleting it immediately.

I have on similar occasions asked customers with large (~20GB+) amounts of what I considered spam if they could provide me a list of authorized email addresses (whose email would be saved) so that I could consider email from other addresses to be spam and delete it prior to migrating them to a new PC or email server. In most cases, the answer was "I might need something you deleted some day...don't delete anything". Is your customer OK with you deleting email that either you or some program considers to be spam?
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Black20VT
said by Black20VT:

I did look at those, however, I was unable to see how I can simply run it over thousands of messages sitting in the Inbox in Outlook and more the SPAM to another folder without needing training etc?

Does such a program exist?

Without training? No, such a program does not exist. If it did, the author would be wealthier than Bill Gates, and spammers would be out of business.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Black20VT

UK
All good comments and appreciated.

I guess what I'm looking for is at least being able to put the SPAM and HAM into two different folders, but not actually deleting them.

With regards to the software, I appreciate it's a fine art of filtering out the good from the bad, but I was hoping to perhaps use DNSBL or a low scoring SPAMASSASSIN scoring system? Then I can at least be cautious with scoring.

In that case, is there anyway of sorting the mail, other than manually?

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Business..
·Cingular Wireless
said by Black20VT:

All good comments and appreciated.

I guess what I'm looking for is at least being able to put the SPAM and HAM into two different folders, but not actually deleting them.

With regards to the software, I appreciate it's a fine art of filtering out the good from the bad, but I was hoping to perhaps use DNSBL or a low scoring SPAMASSASSIN scoring system? Then I can at least be cautious with scoring.

In that case, is there anyway of sorting the mail, other than manually?

I don't know of any standalone software that will do what you want to do for email that has already been downloaded into an offline Outlook database. But perhaps an extensive Bing, Google, or Yahoo! search might turn up something.

I use the SpamAssassin daemon with my email servers, but I am not aware of any way to use it with Outlook for email that has already been downloaded and stored locally. Perhaps a search on »spamassassin.apache.org/ might turn up an application that can do that?

One semi automated approach that might work would be to create a Gmail or Yahoo! email account and forward all of the client's stored email to that new account (and let the Gmail or Yahoo! default spam filters separate the SPAM from the HAM). That could however possibly cause the PC (or network) forwarding a large amount of spam in such a short time frame to be identified as a source of spam and be placed on a blacklist. I used to use the email forwarding feature provided by my domain registrar to forward all of the email sent to my domains to AT&T/Yahoo! email accounts (as an alternative to running my own email server or paying for a hosting service). That worked quite well until Yahoo! suddenly put the domain registrar's email forwarding service on a blacklist because of the amount of spam being forwarded (and Yahoo! refused to remove the forwarding servers from the blacklist, and the domain registrar didn't care enough to push it with Yahoo!).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.