uniqs
share rss forum feed

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

New lineups soon?

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···els.html

Looks like SD boxes will be getting only SD channels and HD/HD DVR boxes will be getting HD only for channels that are HD and SD for channels without an HD counterpart.

Also this will affect iGuide and Navigator boxes according to the FAQs

Hobgoblin do you have any ETA on when the new lineup will rollout nationwide?

I would love to see:
Fuse HD
TV Land HD
CSPAN HD
CSPAN 2 HD
CSPAN 3 HD
QVC HD
Jewelry TV HD
WGN America HD
Starz Comedy HD
Starz in Black HD
Starz Cinema HD
GSN HD
MTV2 HD
Disney Jr HD
YES National HD
NESN National HD
EWTN HD
Military Channel HD
GAME 3-9 HD
TEAM 2-9 HD
Sundance Channel HD
FearNet HD
NHL Network HD
FXM HD
Fuel HD (Fox Sports 2 HD)

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

This is genius to finally have SD and HD channel numbers the same. DirecTV and Dish have been doing this for years, it's about time cable caught up.

There's no reason to not take these numbers throughout TWC's footprint. The only problem here is that you can't tell what channels are in HD, as we all know there are things that are SD only or a few things that are carried but not in HD. Of course, TWC Northeast is one of the HD leaders by any measure, and the Syracuse lineup is around 170 HD channels, not even counting some planned additions for June 26th.

TVOD

@rr.com
reply to motorola870

The one I want the most is BBC America HD.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9
reply to motorola870

"Hobgoblin do you have any ETA on when the new lineup will rollout nationwide?"

I do not.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Satch

join:2009-11-25

I assume this is going to be like what Wisconsin had since 2009. Theme based. Each channel category from 100-1000 is a theme and for the HD equivalent if available, you just add a one to the SD version of that station. Wisconsin has it like this:

100's Kids and Family
200's Entertainment/News
300's Sports
400's Free VOD
500's Premium HD movies
600- Premium Channels
700's Adult On Demand
770-780's PPV Special Events
800's Foriegn Language
900's Music Choice
1000 HD Movies on Demand
1100 Kids and Family HD
1200 Entertainment/News HD
1300 Sports on Demand HD
1400 Free On Demand HD
1500 VOD Movies HD
1600 Premium Channels HD
1700 Adult on Demand
1770-1780 PPV Special Events HD

Consolidation of line ups to Theme-based formats is an example that every cable company in the country should follow.

Satch

Satch

said by Satch:

I assume this is going to be like what Wisconsin had since 2009. Theme based. Each channel category from 100-1000 is a theme and for the HD equivalent if available, you just add a one to the SD version of that station. Wisconsin has it like this:

100's Kids and Family
200's Entertainment/News
300's Sports
400's Free VOD
500's Premium HD movies
600- Premium Channels
700's Adult On Demand
770-780's PPV Special Events
800's Foriegn Language
900's Music Choice
1000 HD Movies on Demand
1100 Kids and Family HD
1200 Entertainment/News HD
1300 Sports on Demand HD
1400 Free On Demand HD
1500 VOD Movies HD
1600 Premium Channels HD
1700 Adult on Demand
1770-1780 PPV Special Events HD

Consolidation of line ups to Theme-based formats is an example that every cable company in the country should follow.

Satch

I wonder if Wisconsin is also going to dump SD stations with an HD equivalent as well? Wisconsin only has HD boxes now.

Satch

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

Looks like SD boxes will be getting only SD channels and HD/HD DVR boxes will be getting HD only for channels that are HD and SD for channels without an HD counterpart.

Yes! Finally! Now my parents will finally be able to use the HDTV they've had for years...

said by motorola870:

Fuel HD (Fox Sports 2 HD)

This is the only channel that I still only have in SD that I want in HD. Why is it taking so long? We've got TV Land in HD (why?!?! Every time I turn it on it's showing an old show that is in 4:3), but not Fuel? C'mon.

Os

US
reply to motorola870

You can see the lineups on the link.

But there's no HD equivalents. It's like what TWC Midwest has, but not quite the same. It's going to be like DirecTV. Channel 100 SD, channel 100 HD, it all depends on what box you have.

BangBang

join:2000-07-05
Fairview, NJ
reply to TVOD

685 is BBCAHD

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
reply to Satch

"I assume this is going to be like what Wisconsin had since 2009."

No its not. There are no SD/HD versions. It depends on your box.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Satch

said by hobgoblin:

"I assume this is going to be like what Wisconsin had since 2009."

No its not. There are no SD/HD versions. It depends on your box.

Hob

Right Hob,

There will only be SD stations if you have an SD box or there is no HD equivalent for that station.

Satch

motorola870

Arlington, TX

Supposedly according to this:

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···e/143357

that TWC wants to take the new lineup nationwide starting in August.

My bets are that these are likely first areas to get the lineup:
Texas
California

as TWC is pretty much forced to moving to a new lineup for new HD channels in Texas and not to mention TWC has been doing behind the scenes upgrades to the SDV bandwidth pools adding bandwidth to SDV in areas of Texas that need it for new services.

Wichita Falls Texas just had 2 new SDV QAMs added per node on 645MHz and 651MHz earlier this month/late last month and they are 750MHz and now have 22 SDV QAMs.

San Antonio Texas is likely getting new SDV QAMs as well as TWC cleared out 4 QAMs at the top of the system from 765MHz to 783MHz and is moving 7 more QAMs on 5/29.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

"that TWC wants to take the new lineup nationwide starting in August.
Texas
California"

Syracuse already has the Update that eliminates SD if you have an HD box, The rest of the North East will have that next week, my bet is that the NE beats out Texas and CA.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Satch

reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

Texas
California

as TWC is pretty much forced to moving to a new lineup for new HD channels in Texas and not to mention TWC has been doing behind the scenes upgrades to the SDV bandwidth pools adding bandwidth to SDV in areas of Texas that need it for new services.

Wichita Falls Texas just had 2 new SDV QAMs added per node on 645MHz and 651MHz earlier this month/late last month and they are 750MHz and now have 22 SDV QAMs.

San Antonio Texas is likely getting new SDV QAMs as well as TWC cleared out 4 QAMs at the top of the system from 765MHz to 783MHz and is moving 7 more QAMs on 5/29.

Question,

What systems in Texas are NOT SDV? Wouldn't such non-SDV systems make the transition that much easier? I'll expand this to ask, what TWC systems throughout the country are not SDV?

Navigator had the Auto HD feature, but some system head-ends kept it turned off. Regions with this system it looks like will have "Auto HD always on." If a customer has an HD box, and punches in an SD station it will go to the equivalent HD channel. Channels such as local and government municipality stations who do not have an HD equivalent will stay with the SD stations. Under this new system, SD boxes will show only SD stations.

On the video tutorial that I watched, Navigator where they showed the organization of the new line-up had another way to sort stations "(Network A-Z.)" for the Time Grid.

Satch

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by Satch:

said by motorola870:

Texas
California

Question,

What systems in Texas are NOT SDV? Wouldn't such non-SDV systems make the transition that much easier? I'll expand this to ask, what TWC systems throughout the country are not SDV?

Navigator had the Auto HD feature, but some system head-ends kept it turned off. Regions with this system it looks like will have "Auto HD always on." If a customer has an HD box, and punches in an SD station it will go to the equivalent HD channel. Channels such as local and government municipality stations who do not have an HD equivalent will stay with the SD stations. Under this new system, SD boxes will show only SD stations.

On the video tutorial that I watched, Navigator where they showed the organization of the new line-up had another way to sort stations "(Network A-Z.)" for the Time Grid.

Satch

well there are systems in Texas that do not have SDV or 100 HD channels for the matter but they still have motorola boxes in addition to Cisco boxes.

There are a lot of systems nationwide that don't have SDV and a lot of them run iGuide with older motorola boxes and they are non clustered and you have to add in the insight systems to this as well and they have analog removed from expanded basic and the systems bought from new wave communications all use Motorola boxes except for Terre Haute IN, Clarksburg WV, Dothan AL, and Enterprise AL and the Texas systems without SDV.

The transition will be easy for SDV systems once they figure out that they are going to need to take about 20-30 HD channels off of SDV for the most popular channels: MTV, Comedy Central, Fox News, CNN etc. I would assume that TWC will either add more SDV bandwidth or remove some analogs to make room for the need to move HD channels off of SDV. I know that the system I am could move about 30 HD channels off of SDV right now if needed

these analogs are open for the most part in my system:
2 (room for 2 more HD channels as it only has Discovery HD on it)
56 (opening up in June)

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
reply to Satch

"Navigator had the Auto HD feature, but some system head-ends kept it turned off. Regions with this system it looks like will have "Auto HD always on." If a customer has an HD box, and punches in an SD station it will go to the equivalent HD channel. Channels such as local and government municipality stations who do not have an HD equivalent will stay with the SD stations. Under this new system, SD boxes will show only SD stations."

Correct, Auto HD is dead in the next Navigator update. On my HD Box if you punch in 27 with an HD Box you get ESPN2 in an HD format. If you punch in 727 you get the same. On an SD box or a DTA 27 gives you ESPN2 in an SD format.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by hobgoblin:

"Navigator had the Auto HD feature, but some system head-ends kept it turned off. Regions with this system it looks like will have "Auto HD always on." If a customer has an HD box, and punches in an SD station it will go to the equivalent HD channel. Channels such as local and government municipality stations who do not have an HD equivalent will stay with the SD stations. Under this new system, SD boxes will show only SD stations."

Correct, Auto HD is dead in the next Navigator update. On my HD Box if you punch in 27 with an HD Box you get ESPN2 in an HD format. If you punch in 727 you get the same. On an SD box or a DTA 27 gives you ESPN2 in an SD format.

Hob

Hob would this be a good assumption?

Would TWC likely implement the new lineup first in areas that are in need of a reorganization as their channels are out place in systems that are out of room in designated blocks for HD channels and themed SD channels?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

"Hob would this be a good assumption?"

The assumption I am making is based on the guide software changes that need to be made to map channels. these have been made for customers in CNY and will happen shortly in the NE.
This puts the NE ahead of Texas and CA as I have heard nothing from those areas.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to motorola870

Cool cant wait to see the changes. Sounds like this coming week is it. Is this going to include a major overhaul to the way navigator looks?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

"Cool cant wait to see the changes. Sounds like this coming week is it. Is this going to include a major overhaul to the way navigator looks?"

Navigator looks exactly the same, the change is the way the channels are mapped. The channel number changes will happen later.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to hobgoblin

said by hobgoblin:

"Hob would this be a good assumption?"

The assumption I am making is based on the guide software changes that need to be made to map channels. these have been made for customers in CNY and will happen shortly in the NE.
This puts the NE ahead of Texas and CA as I have heard nothing from those areas.

Hob

I hope TWC would at least add some HD channels this summer to my area. Kind of been missing out on updates since 2011.

It is highly possible that Texas and California could be doing the software upgrades concurrently with the North East.

I know that TWC is already preparing some of the systems out west for the new lineup by moving On Demand to channel 1000 on iGuide in the non clustered systems in AZ, WA, ID, and CA.

Iguide boxes will only need a new channel map as the Auto-tune feature is not built into iGuide. The FAQs mention iGuide so these boxes will be affected as well. I have read that Mediacom uses a SD only map for their SD boxes already and give the HD boxes a full map of all the channels so iGuide supports map filtering by box type.

My local TWC division has the my channels tab that has info about the channel lineup changes and says coming soon so I would assume that my area would get the new lineup this year sometime as I was told by a local CSR that they were looking to realign the channels sometime soon to allow for more HD.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to hobgoblin

said by hobgoblin:

"Cool cant wait to see the changes. Sounds like this coming week is it. Is this going to include a major overhaul to the way navigator looks?"

Navigator looks exactly the same, the change is the way the channels are mapped. The channel number changes will happen later.

Hob

will TWC be moving some of the more popular HD channels off of SDV one channel mapping changes? I would assume so as TWC will likely have problems with HD tuning as a lot of the SDV bandwidth would be tied with HD channels being accessed.

MeInDallas

join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

Any idea when the new gateway/dvr will be coming out that will have 6 tuners? Thats the main reason I dont use the TWC boxes anymore, 2 tuners just isnt enough.

ericny09

join:2013-05-19
Newark, NY
reply to motorola870

Will everyone on Time Warner have identical lineups then if/when this is all complete (other than local/regional channels)?. For example would ESPN be on lets say channel 301 on time warner nationally? If so, will areas that don't currently get some niche stations (aka WGN, GSN, CMT Pure Country etc that central NY get but us in the finger lakes area currently dont) get all those stations added?

Looking at the lineups for the Central NY area, other than 1-99, and the locals later on, everything from 100 on seemed to be identical.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by ericny09:

Will everyone on Time Warner have identical lineups then if/when this is all complete (other than local/regional channels)?. For example would ESPN be on lets say channel 301 on time warner nationally? If so, will areas that don't currently get some niche stations (aka WGN, GSN, CMT Pure Country etc that central NY get but us in the finger lakes area currently dont) get all those stations added?

Looking at the lineups for the Central NY area, other than 1-99, and the locals later on, everything from 100 on seemed to be identical.

no there will still be some regional differences on what is being carried such as Texas being the only region to carry TBN Enlace on the spanish tier and North Texas carrying Halogen HD.

Os

US
reply to ericny09

According to my previous research, Syracuse had both TV One and WGN America, Rome had WGN America, and Utica had neither of the 2.

These lineups show all of them having the same channels now, so it will be interesting to see if this does streamline lineups regionally and nationally. A lot of the Northeast lineups are oddly missing ID HD, the Albany lineup doesn't have it at all. Rochester is missing GSN entirely. Buffalo doesn't have HBO Latino. These little anomalies might disappear.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by Os:

According to my previous research, Syracuse had both TV One and WGN America, Rome had WGN America, and Utica had neither of the 2.

These lineups show all of them having the same channels now, so it will be interesting to see if this does streamline lineups regionally and nationally. A lot of the Northeast lineups are oddly missing ID HD, the Albany lineup doesn't have it at all. Rochester is missing GSN entirely. Buffalo doesn't have HBO Latino. These little anomalies might disappear.

looks like Syracuse is also gaining: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, VH1 Soul, CMT Pure Country as well.

My area is getting:
Aspire on channel 279 next to Centric on 280

Also the 750MHz area near me is getting:
Aspire on channel 122
Shop Zeal 1 on channel 167 (they already have Shop Zeal 2-5 on channels 170-173)

Lets Go

join:2005-03-05
Homer, NY
reply to hobgoblin

said by hobgoblin:

"that TWC wants to take the new lineup nationwide starting in August.
Texas
California"

Syracuse already has the Update that eliminates SD if you have an HD box, The rest of the North East will have that next week, my bet is that the NE beats out Texas and CA.

Hob

This is incorrect. I have a Cablecard and the line up for me has not changed. I am in the Syracuse market.
--

JSull

join:2013-01-15
reply to motorola870

Does this mean that once the update/transition is complete we will no longer experience the dreaded: This channel will be available shortly
Message?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

1 edit
reply to Lets Go

"This is incorrect. I have a Cablecard and the line up for me has not changed. I am in the Syracuse market."

Interesting, I never thought about cable cards, my post did specifically state HD Boxes.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson